Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #12 prospect for 2013?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

2 3.77%
  • Drew Cisco

2 3.77%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

2 3.77%
  • Jeff Gelalich

1 1.89%
  • Ryan LaMarre

3 5.66%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

1 1.89%
  • Donald Lutz

8 15.09%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

7 13.21%
  • Jonathan Moscot

1 1.89%
  • Curtis Partch

0 0%
  • Jonathan Reynoso

6 11.32%
  • Chad Rogers

3 5.66%
  • Sal Romano

0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

13 24.53%
  • David Vidal

2 3.77%
  • Kyle Waldrop

2 3.77%
  • Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect? 2013

Who is Redszone's #12 prospect? 2013

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect? 2013

I'm going to go with Soto here. Hopefully this time it will do the trick.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with Rogers. I think he is a very safe bet to be a Major Leaguer. As a reliever, I think he could be really good. I also think there is a chance he can stick as a starter. He has shown the stamina for it, he throws strikes and has good command of his fastball. Lots of groundballs. Just a real safe pick here IMO.

Given Soto's positional limitations (the Reds don't need a 1B) and his BA/OB issues, I just can't see attaching much prospect status to him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with Rogers. I think he is a very safe bet to be a Major Leaguer. As a reliever, I think he could be really good. I also think there is a chance he can stick as a starter. He has shown the stamina for it, he throws strikes and has good command of his fastball. Lots of groundballs. Just a real safe pick here IMO.
    Alright, you convinced me. It's either Rogers or a shot in the dark candidate like Brean or Reynoso for me here. Rogers seems to have the polish and just enough upside to warrant a spot over those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Given Soto's positional limitations (the Reds don't need a 1B) and his BA/OB issues, I just can't see attaching much prospect status to him.
    Not arguing with you.. (I did peek and see who you voted for).

I guess I just consider the young C grade prospects to be such longshots, I'm giving Soto a few bonus points for advancing as far as he did, despite his bad year.
    I figure at this point, upside of a poor man's Carmelo's Martinez is worth as much as some of the guys remaining.

I do hope I'm wrong though and all these guys ahead of him on the RZ list make it to the majors though. But you raise a good point, Soto is just one more bad year from being released.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

David Vidal please. From what I have read he has a major league glove and I think will hit enough to be a regular in the Show. Not an all-star or anything.

I considered Vidal, Soto, Lutz, Brean, Moscot, Gelalich, as well as Bryson Smith and Steve Selsky before pulling the lever for Chad "Shark Bite" Rogers. His ceiling is a MOR starter who logs a ton of innings (Mike Leake Lite, IMO)-- which I like. His floor, otoh, is not bad either, as I believe he'll be a Sam LeCure type middle reliever for a few years.

That's nice value for the number 12 pick in an organization, IMO. Especially one such as Cincinnati's, which is undeniably down this season.

Lutz. Consistent hitting at several levels for decent power with a solid OPS.

It's between Lutz' consistency and Soto's power for the twelfth prospect IMO. I give the edge to Lutz, but it's a close call IMO.

Rogers seems like a smallish pitcher who has a modest strikeout rate in the minor leagues. So far, his K rate has been declining as he gets to more advanced leagues. I'm sure he has skills, but he's down the list a bit for me, just based on what I've heard on the board and the numbers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-11-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think parent organizational needs should be considered when evaluating prospects. They should be viewed in a vacuum...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lutz. Consistent hitting at several levels for decent power with a solid OPS.

It's between Lutz' consistency and Soto's power for the twelfth prospect IMO. I give the edge to Lutz, but it's a close call IMO.

Rogers seems like a smallish pitcher who has a modest strikeout rate in the minor leagues. So far, his K rate has been declining as he gets to more advanced leagues. I'm sure he has skills, but he's down the list a bit for me, just based on what I've heard on the board and the numbers.
    I am not down on Lutz really, but nothing he did in AA this year suggests consistent hitting. It played as an extreme power park and he struggled to hit there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not down on Lutz really, but nothing he did in AA this year suggests consistent hitting. It played as an extreme power park and he struggled to hit there.
    Sure, but to be fair to Lutz he moved up to AA mid-season and sometimes guys need time to adjust to a new league and level. That's why I was pleased to see Lutz get hot in the AFL, shows me he could be ready to feast on AA pitching next year.

Lutz did very well at Billings, Dayton, and Bakersfield. He has been a consistent performer and my vote for him is based on an expectation that he will do well at AA next year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.

I go for Reynoso again here. Upside is king, and unlike guys like Amir Garrett and Juan Duran, he put up improving numbers.

thorn

Can we look at adding Juan Silva in the next few rounds? IMO, I think he is above some of the others already listed.

Lutz. Best power prospect in the organization. It's time.

Turn Off Ads?