Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Thread: If only...

  1. #16
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I wish Marge Schott had sold her share of the club to another ownership group, instead of handing it over to minority owner Carl Lindner. Lindner's penny-pinching throughout the 00s was worse than having an owner less committed to Cincinnati, rattling his saber about moving from Cincinnati. If she had done it 5 years sooner, the Reds might have gotten a better stadium than the Bengals.
    Not sure it was her choice. Someone with a better memory, please fill me in. I always thought that John Allen being moved into a position of more power was connected to it. I do agree it was the worst Reds move in my lifetime.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    A year or so ago the Hardball Times had a series on the 1960s Reds and what could have been had they NOT made a number of bad trades and moves. Keeping Frank Robinson is the obvious move, but the 1960s Reds at one time had Mike Cuellar, Claude Osteen, and Cesar Tovar among others. IIRC the articles concluded that had the Reds simply kept some of the players they at one time had, they would have added to their 1961 pennant additional NL titles in 1964, 1966, and 1969, and possibly in 1962 and 1965. They would have begun the 1970s, the decade of the Big Red Machine, with all the key players of that powerhouse, but with Robinson, Cuellar, Osteen, Tovar, Leo Cardenas, et al, added to the mix, for a really, really BIG Red Machine.
    Hal McRae was originally drafted and brought to the majors by the Reds.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

    Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

  4. #18
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,715

    Re: If only...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    A year or so ago the Hardball Times had a series on the 1960s Reds and what could have been had they NOT made a number of bad trades and moves. Keeping Frank Robinson is the obvious move, but the 1960s Reds at one time had Mike Cuellar, Claude Osteen, and Cesar Tovar among others. IIRC the articles concluded that had the Reds simply kept some of the players they at one time had, they would have added to their 1961 pennant additional NL titles in 1964, 1966, and 1969, and possibly in 1962 and 1965. They would have begun the 1970s, the decade of the Big Red Machine, with all the key players of that powerhouse, but with Robinson, Cuellar, Osteen, Tovar, Leo Cardenas, et al, added to the mix, for a really, really BIG Red Machine.

    Hal McRae was originally drafted and brought to the majors by the Reds.
    You can throw Curt Flood into that player pool as well...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  5. #19
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hal McRae was originally drafted and brought to the majors by the Reds.
    I believe he also tweaked his arm and the Reds noted that and shuttled him to the AL to be a DH

    Scheinblum was a dud

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,554

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Around 1974 the Reds and Royals were supposedly working on a trade of Tony Perez for George Brett. I love Tony but having Brett in a Reds uniform would have been nice.
    IIRC, the Reds made the offer, the Royals turned them down.

  7. #21
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Scheinblum was a dud
    So was Roger Nelson.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,780

    Re: If only...

    Weren't there some discussions about a John Roper-for-Bobby Bonilla trade back when Roper was a big pitching prospect?
    Go BLUE!!!

  9. #23
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,035

    Re: If only...

    Reds had Juan Pizzaro for a day back in the early 60's. He had some nice years with the Pale Hose.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  10. #24
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yep.

    The Reds offered Kurt Stillwell and Kal Daniels. The Pirates wanted Larkin and Daniels. When the Reds passed, Sid Thift, the Pirates GM, took the Giants offer of their top prospect, a pitcher named Jeff Robinson, who was basically a flop. Thrift would have been better off taking Stillwell and Daniels.
    They asked for Larkin? Never knew that. I was only 9 at the time. Judging from what the Giants gave up I was thinking something like Scudder and another prospect.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/14/14. I promise.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,772

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I wish Marge Schott had sold her share of the club to another ownership group, instead of handing it over to minority owner Carl Lindner. Lindner's penny-pinching throughout the 00s was worse than having an owner less committed to Cincinnati, rattling his saber about moving from Cincinnati. If she had done it 5 years sooner, the Reds might have gotten a better stadium than the Bengals.
    Back up the truck a minute ... Lindner spent money on Griffey and Larkin and others. You may not agree HOW Lindner spent his money, but I cannot accuse him of pinching pennies. He had a LOT of money tied up and sitting on the DL. It is true that he didn't throw money away like most baseball owners do, but he didn't get to be a billionaire by throwing away money.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,554

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    A year or so ago the Hardball Times had a series on the 1960s Reds and what could have been had they NOT made a number of bad trades and moves. Keeping Frank Robinson is the obvious move, but the 1960s Reds at one time had Mike Cuellar, Claude Osteen, and Cesar Tovar among others. IIRC the articles concluded that had the Reds simply kept some of the players they at one time had, they would have added to their 1961 pennant additional NL titles in 1964, 1966, and 1969, and possibly in 1962 and 1965. They would have begun the 1970s, the decade of the Big Red Machine, with all the key players of that powerhouse, but with Robinson, Cuellar, Osteen, Tovar, Leo Cardenas, et al, added to the mix, for a really, really BIG Red Machine.
    Of course earlier success would have meant different and lesser draft picks. Who knows if the Reds would have drafted Johnny Bench. Or traded for Morgan.

  13. #27
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    You can throw Curt Flood into that player pool as well...
    ... Tommy Harper and the immortal Art Shamsky.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I believe he also tweaked his arm and the Reds noted that and shuttled him to the AL to be a DH

    Scheinblum was a dud
    McRae had a serious, multiple break leg injury that the Reds feared would cost him his speed, as he had been really fast in the minors. It did cost him a lot of his speed, but as we all know he still had a terrific career.

  15. #29
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,428

    Re: If only...

    Bobby Tolan wouldn't have played basketball in the offseason...

    Dick Wagner wouldn't have been promoted...

    Leatherpants had taken ADHD medicine... or gone to a therapist for his 5-tool player addiction...
    Win the Division

  16. #30
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,440

    Re: If only...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Back up the truck a minute ... Lindner spent money on Griffey and Larkin and others. You may not agree HOW Lindner spent his money, but I cannot accuse him of pinching pennies. He had a LOT of money tied up and sitting on the DL. It is true that he didn't throw money away like most baseball owners do, but he didn't get to be a billionaire by throwing away money.
    So brave.

    I think you're going to have trouble finding a handful of RedsZoners who will support the payroll strategies of the Lindner regime. I know when he passed, that much was written about how he was a fine patron of the arts and other local causes, so I wouldn't presume to question his life's work. What I do question were his priorities as the chief financial decisionmaker for my favorite team. Playing not to lose (money) is not the same as playing to win (games).

    Since the thread is about "what if" scenarios, my choice is to ponder the difference if he'd never been put in charge in the first place. It matters more than any player transaction that occurred during that time - including the deals that led to a high percentage of the payroll being on the DL for hundreds of games.
    /r/reds


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25