Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce willing to play CF

Re: Jay Bruce willing to play CF

Does anyone share my worry that Jay will pull a hamstring if he plays CF?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Does this mean Bruce leads off?
    Well, he'd still be better than most anyone who hit there last season. So there's that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't see what makes people think Bruce will be a big improvement over Choo. I think both guys project to be adequate CF in small parks (like the GABP) and well below average in big parks. If, as I suspect, there isn't much difference between them, I'd rather leave Bruce in RF and let the one-year rental deal with the headaches of playing out of position.

This! Yes...I agree, they have kept Bruce in RF pretty much since he came up (except when Junior was here) there is no need to rock the boat when the CF of the future is in AAA and they signed a one year rental player to fill the gap...wish they would have done this a year ago.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

6. Likes:

Cursh14 (02-02-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I don't. Bruce has proven himself to be pretty durable through the years.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    If Bruce has a good season at the plate, he'll win the CF Gold Glove!
    Haha, you're right on the nose.

I'm sold on the idea. If he can put together a league average defensive season there, it'll be a spectacular improvement on the outfield defense, which worries me as it stands.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Haha, you're right on the nose.

I'm sold on the idea. If he can put together a league average defensive season there, it'll be a spectacular improvement on the outfield defense, which worries me as it stands.
    What makes you think he can be a league average CF?

He's league average in RF, and that is mostly due to his cannon arm. He's basically the same defensive player as Choo (adequate range, reliable glove, cannon arm). Neither of them is a great flychaser by any stretch of the imagination, and that is a far more important skill for a CF than the ability to register a few extra OF assists. Regardless of which one of them plays in CF, Reds fans are likely to witness a case study in the Peter Principal.

He doesn't have to be league average and doesn't project to be so.

However, it could certainly happen that he grade out as league average over the course of one season.

1) One season is a small sample in terms of UZR. A couple nice OOZ plays and taking charge between Choo and Ludwick by grabbing all the balls in the gaps that he can get to might help.
    2) Familiarity with the position may mean less "vapor locks", as he's played CF pretty much his entire life and knows the position as well as any. No (or very few) errors would boost his UZR as well.
    3) Bruce has a great arm. He could very well lead all CFers in assists by a wide margin. (This depends, IMO, on Cespedes' position in Oakland.) That in itself could also boost his defensive WAR by a fairly large margin.

I'm not saying he's a good bet, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He doesn't have to be league average and doesn't project to be so.

However, it could certainly happen that he grade out as league average over the course of one season.

1) One season is a small sample in terms of UZR. A couple nice OOZ plays and taking charge between Choo and Ludwick by grabbing all the balls in the gaps that he can get to might help.
    2) Familiarity with the position may mean less "vapor locks", as he's played CF pretty much his entire life and knows the position as well as any. No (or very few) errors would boost his UZR as well.
    3) Bruce has a great arm. He could very well lead all CFers in assists by a wide margin. (This depends, IMO, on Cespedes' position in Oakland.) That in itself could also boost his defensive WAR by a fairly large margin.

I'm not saying he's a good bet, but it's within the realm of possibility.
    The only way either of those guys grade out as league average is due to the fact that defensive metrics are still in their infancy and are incredibly flawed. Also, everything you said for Bruce could just as easily apply to Choo. Why move Jay in 2013 if the plan is to move him back to RF in 2014? Why not just let Choo be the guy to play out of position?

I like that Bruce offered to play CF, and make some changes (e.g., lose a little weight) to be able to do so. That's a team player and a great attitude. I hope, however, that he devotes his efforts this off-season to being a better hitter, especially with 2-strikes. I actually think that the Reds should have set up an off-season program and hitting coach for him (or maybe ask Votto to work with him). He's a solid RF, but to me it just feels like his contact issues are keeping him from reaching his potential.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Bruce already lost weight and came in to camp about 15 or 20 pounds lighter last season due to doing the Paleo diet. I noticed it visually.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I say play Bruce in right because Choo is probably only going to be here a year anyway. No sense in having him (Bruce) play one year in center then go back to right. Bruce can spell Choo once in awhile in center. I think George Foster played center once in awhile.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I'm glad Jay is being a "team guy" by offering, but I really hope it doesn't come down to that. I don't want him to be spending time learning a new, more difficult position when he's so close to getting over the hump of very good hitter to great hitter.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    As bad as it might sound, I think this is the reason why Bruce (who has a LTC from the reds and will play a vital role in the future) should stay in RF. Choo was brought in to play CF while Hamilton gets seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Does this mean Bruce leads off?
    I was thinking the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    As bad as it might sound, I think this is the reason why Bruce (who has a LTC from the reds and will play a vital role in the future) should stay in RF. Choo was brought in to play CF while Hamilton gets seasoning.
    I don't think it sounds bad at all, actually. While I think he could potentially provide better D than Choo for one season, it doesn't make sense to compromise his future for one year. Now if they sign Choo long-term, that's a different story -- but then I think you are looking at an OF of Bruce - Hamilton - Choo for the next few years.

Turn Off Ads?