Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NFL Playoffs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    You think everyone at the power company had aready switched over to the puppy bowl?
    Worst. Super. Bowl. Ever.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 NFL Playoffs!!!

No more Superbowls in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    No more Superbowls in New Orleans.
    At least until the Superdome is replaced.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    No longer

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    28-23 Ravens lead.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

This has gone from a laugher to one of the best SBs I've ever seen.

I was entertained as heck by this Super Bowl in the 2nd half.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I broke down and watched the Super Bowl despite not caring about the two teams in the game. I finally figured out why this game is not a must see event for me, though.

First, there is the neutral site. Home field advantage is such a big deal, but then you get to the championship game, and its at a neutral site. Could you imagine the World Series being played at Marlins Stadium between the Reds and the AL team? It takes away so much when the game is played on a neutral field.

Then there is the spectacle of it all that detracts from the fact that this is a championship game. The focus is taken away from the product that makes the game possible and turns it to stupid commercials and halftime shows by some pop "star," past, present, or future. Can we not just have the football idol at the game instead of turning it into an idolatry party for our culture?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I don't have a problem with the Super Bowl being at a neutral site. I can't think of a fair way to assign the game to a particular team's home stadium, given the differences in strength of schedule between teams, and rotating home field advantage betwen the two conferences doesn't appeal to me either.
    I do agree that the halftime shows are over blown. I would be happy if halftime in the Super Bowl was no different than any other NFL game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For about 75% of the Super Bowl's audience, the halftime show and commercials are the highlights of the whole thing. There's no way the "spectacle" aspect of the Super Bowl is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    For about 75% of the Super Bowl's audience, the halftime show and commercials are the highlights of the whole thing. There's no way the "spectacle" aspect of the Super Bowl is changing.
    Says a lot about the real product. The game becomes an afterthought. And I like the NFL, but am so distracted by the other garbage, the intensity of a championship game is lost in all the other hoopla.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I don't have a problem with the Super Bowl being at a neutral site. I can't think of a fair way to assign the game to a particular team's home stadium, given the differences in strength of schedule between teams, and rotating home field advantage betwen the two conferences doesn't appeal to me either.
    I do agree that the halftime shows are over blown. I would be happy if halftime in the Super Bowl was no different than any other NFL game.
    Yea, its kind of an idealist thing, but it does detract from the drama that a home crowd adds to the championship aspect of the game. It makes the Super Bowl inferior to the conference championship games because of this aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Says a lot about the real product.
    Depends on what you think the "real product" of a Super Bowl is, I suppose. If the real product is the spectacle, it's pretty damned impressive that the spectacle can draw such a crowd. If the real product is football, I don't really think it says anything negative about football that you can get millions and millions of people who aren't football fans to watch a football game if you market it correctly.

I'd say that most of the people who are football fans and feel that the spectacle takes away from the game still watch the game anyway, so there's no real upside for anyone with skin in the game to change anything.

I think the game's been good almost every year for about a decade now already, they used to need all the hooplah because the winner would already be decided by halftime, now it comes down to a play or 2 in the final minute almost every year, but they're stuck with the nonsense even though the game itself is actually competitive enough that they shouldn't need it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

They need all the hoopla so that women don't mind watching it. A good number could not care any less about the actual football game, whether it's 56-0 or 34-31. Advertisers like that.

Turn Off Ads?