Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Disaster Scenarios..What if all the Reds players died on a plane crash? Or what if...

Disaster Scenarios..What if all the Reds players died on a plane crash? Or what if...

So I'm curious about some of the regarding Disaster Scenarios.

What if during a travel day, the Reds jet crashes and everyone on board dies.

1. Does the season end for all of MLB? Or just for the Reds?
    2. Does everyone in AAA get promoted to the Major League Level? Than what happens with A, AA?
    3. Do the reds get compensated in any way in terms of draft picks?
    4. Do the Reds as an organization even compete the following year?

Second disaster situation...

The Reds just acquired Josh Hamilton (or any BIG time player in a trade)...But he drug overdosed and passed away. The Reds gave a HUGE package to Texas, of there top 5 elite prospects they had in there minor league system.

1. Do the reds get compensated in any way? Extra draft picks? Compensation picks? How would this work
    2. Or perhaps, would the traded minor leagues be returned back to the Reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Disaster Scenarios..What if all the Reds players died on a plane crash? Or what i

Not something I'd really like to think about, but I'll take a shot. I'd assume in the first scenario that the organization might be on it's own for the remainder of the season and would need to bolster the big club with organizational filler, but the MLB would likely step in at the end of the season and implement something very similar to the expansion draft.

In the second scenario, I think the acquiring team would simply be out of luck. I know it isn't the same sport, but when Len Bias died soon after being drafted by the Celtics, I don't think they received any special compensation. When it's a single player, even if he was just drafted or traded for, it's less likely that the league would step in and provide any compensation.

Keep in mind this is all guesswork on my part. I'm sure MLB has all kinds of contingency plans for scenarios like this, but I don't think the general public has any idea what they look like.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 01-13-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Re: Disaster Scenarios..What if all the Reds players died on a plane crash? Or what i

There are rules in place if this happens, I think there would be a dispersal draft kind of like an expansion draft. Look it up , almost positive there is a plan.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Very interesting read. Thanks for link. I learned something new today.

Yep, its definitely the middle of the offseason lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Yep, its definitely the middle of the offseason lol.
    No doubt, but you have to admit this is a unique, albeit morbid, topic. I honestly had no idea leagues had these policies in place. Now that it's been put out there though, I can see it being necessary.

Gotta wonder about the OP, starting this thread not once, but twice.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

makes you wonder what else the OP dreams up in his mind...LOL!!!

I think this is a sick and twisted post. I am a baseball fan. I am superstitious. I don't care about the rules. I prefer not to put any negative thoughts such as this into the preseason.

I might get to fulfill my lifetime dream of being a first base coach...First baseman I meant first baseman

Turn Off Ads?