Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latos may break arbitration record; time to lock him up?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Latos may break arbitration record; time to lock him up?

From an arbitration discussion on MLBTR, Latos may break the record for first-time eligible starting pitchers on one-year deals. The writer predicts $4.6 million.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...mat-latos.html

I imagine this is Jocketty's number-one priority right now, to get a long-term deal going with Mat. You can probably look at Cueto's deal (4/$27m) as a starting point. Latos is almost exactly the same age as Cueto was when he got his contract. I'd guess something like 4 years, $30 million, starting with $4 million in 2013.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Latos may break arbitration record; time to lock him up?

He'll get way more than Cueto, I think. He's been much better from the start than Cueto was.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

4-7-10-12-15-17. Make the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. He'll still end that contract under market value.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

First thought - too long, too much.

After second thought -

Matt Cain just signed a 7 year 141 million dolllar deal (counting vesting option).

For Grandal,Volquez,Alonso,and Box, we got Latos for basically the same time period for 61.5 million total if he agrees to Doug's offer. Advantage Reds.

And if this topic is boring anyone, be sure to head to the Sundeck to observe the George Constanza-esque discussion "What if the Reds all die in a plane crash".

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And if this topic is boring anyone, be sure to head to the Sundeck to observe the George Constanza-esque discussion "What if the Reds all die in a plane crash".
    I learned that MLB has a disaster draft, and I didn't know that before today.
    sorry we're boring

I put some numbers out there on mlbtraderumors and got shot-down pretty hard. I think he's going to be a lot more expensive than some would hope. On the flip side, Cueto's deal is going to look better and better.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I had to click on that too. Couldn't help but notice the man behind this thread was the guy who started the classic "How does it feel to be dying old people?" thread. We should send this guy a fruit basket or something.

Walt's been in this position before with other great players and I think he'll get something done, but the end result will sure be interesting.

I enjoy the arb-eligible contract extension discussions. One of my favorite topics, seriously.

Look at this through Latos' agent's eyes. The Reds want you to sign a 6 yr deal. What is your price?

I like it! You would have to think Latos and his agent would be pretty tempted by 65M guaranteed, and after the 6 years he still would be young enough to sign another huge contract, at that point probably with the Yankees or Dodgers though.

I enjoy the arb-eligible contract extension discussions. One of my favorite topics, seriously.

Look at this through Latos' agent's eyes. The Reds want you to sign a 6 yr deal. What is your price?
    If I'm Latos's agent, I'm saying $70 million guaranteed. And If I'm Walt, I'm not taking that number lightly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    If I'm Latos's agent, I'm saying $70 million guaranteed. And If I'm Walt, I'm not taking that number lightly.
    I'd sign it if I were Walt. Still going to be a bargain. I am telling you, look at how much TV money is going to be flowing in. Teams and players still aren't fully adjusted to just how much money is going to be there. Pay guys now for the future and watch them be bargains when it comes around.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

$70M/6 years. Sign me up. I'd do it.

Reds better hope they get a huge TV deal. It's gonna get expensive keeping this team together.

The time may come when some of our favorites get shipped out when the next wave of the farm system comes around ready to be Big Leaguers.

Turn Off Ads?