Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #13 prospect for 2013?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

5 9.26%
  • Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

1 1.85%
  • Jeff Gelalich

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

3 5.56%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

2 3.70%
  • Donald Lutz

11 20.37%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

9 16.67%
  • Jonathan Moscot

0 0%
  • Curtis Partch

0 0%
  • Jonathan Reynoso

7 12.96%
  • Chad Rogers

9 16.67%
  • Sal Romano

0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

0 0%
  • Juan Silva

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • David Vidal

3 5.56%
  • Kyle Waldrop

3 5.56%
  • Ryan Wright

1 1.85%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #13 prospect? 2013

Who is Redszone's #13 prospect? 2013

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #13 prospect? 2013

I went with Barnhart, simply because he looks like a lock to be a useful major leaguer. I understand he is considered a low ceiling guy, but then again, so was Ryan Hanigan and he turned out to be a pretty damn good player.

I can't make up my mind here. Rogers is the kind of guy I used get excited about, but with the pitching as plentiful as it is in this organization, it's hard to muster much enthusiasm about a back of the rotation innings eater. I also can't seem to quell my irrational hope for Seth Mejias-Brean being the steal of the draft last year. He just looks like a monster athlete to me. Maybe he never develops, but he seems like a guy that could make a few small adjustments and be big time prospect in short order. I'd go Brean here, Rogers next.

I have a really good feeling about Seth Mejias-Brean for some reason. He'll be getting my vote until he goes off the board.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Chad Rogers. Incredibly safe bet. Has some stuff. Has a chance to start. Has a chance to relieve.

Feel like a putz . . . still voting for Lutz.

But the others guys mentioned so far--Rogers, Mejias-Brean and Barnhart--are all grouped next on my board. Along with Waldrop.
    Last edited by mace; 01-14-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chad Rogers. Incredibly safe bet. Has some stuff. Has a chance to start. Has a chance to relieve.
    Basically the same logic I used in picking Barnhart. At this point it's all about finding guys who are likely to contribute in some meaningful fashion to the major league ballclub. Rogers certainly fits that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Basically the same logic I used in picking Barnhart. At this point it's all about finding guys who are likely to contribute in some meaningful fashion to the major league ballclub. Rogers certainly fits that bill.
    I can see that. I took Rogers here (actually a little higher) and have Barnhart a tad lower because I think Barnhart has the floor of a no-hit defensive backup catcher. Some value is there, but I think Rogers, sans injury, has the floor of a very good 6th innings reliever/solid 7th inning reliever. Ceiling wise, I think they are pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can see that. I took Rogers here (actually a little higher) and have Barnhart a tad lower because I think Barnhart has the floor of a no-hit defensive backup catcher. Some value is there, but I think Rogers, sans injury, has the floor of a very good 6th innings reliever/solid 7th inning reliever. Ceiling wise, I think they are pretty similar.
    Lutz's ceiling is much higher and closer to the big league level than any other bat still out there. He hit some big leaguers in the WBC qualifyer to the tune of a .300 average. Also looked great in Winter ball. All of which is a better case than Soto had... and to me better than anyone else on the board.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Doug convinced me on Chad Rogers, but since I've voted for Lutz in the last few ballots, I'll stick with him here until he wins a vote. Then it's Rogers and Barnhart for me. At this point, anyone whose likely going to play in the majors is better than anyone else, no matter how high their ceiling.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Lutz's ceiling is much higher and closer to the big league level than any other bat still out there. He hit some big leaguers in the WBC qualifyer to the tune of a .300 average. Also looked great in Winter ball. All of which is a better case than Soto had... and to me better than anyone else on the board.
    Soto posted a 909 OPS in the high minors as a 22 year old. Lutz got his first taste of the high minors as a 23 year old and shat the bed (704 OPS). I don't think either guy profiles as a legit starting 1B in the majors, but if I had to choose one, it would be Soto.

Lutz all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Soto posted a 909 OPS in the high minors as a 22 year old. Lutz got his first taste of the high minors as a 23 year old and shat the bed (704 OPS). I don't think either guy profiles as a legit starting 1B in the majors, but if I had to choose one, it would be Soto.
    The biggest reason why I like Lutz over Soto is that Lutz just started playing baseball a few years ago and likely has more room to grow and develop. Soto hit a wall at AAA. Lutz may as well, but it's too early to tell.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Lutz does have a high ceiling, but he also has a really low floor of someone who can't make the Majors.

What did he do between the WBC/AFL, get 2-3 weeks of games against guys who already played a really long season? That is nothing to even look at really.

He and Soto are close to me. Neither is within my next few prospects. Questionable bats in the upper minor leagues at first base? Even with some upside, that is suspect as much as it is prospect.

As for him being closer than any other bat out there.... Josh Fellhauer strongly disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The biggest reason why I like Lutz over Soto is that Lutz just started playing baseball a few years ago and likely has more room to grow and develop. Soto hit a wall at AAA. Lutz may as well, but it's too early to tell.
    Lutz began playing baseball 8 years ago. Yes, that is quite a short time when all things are considered, but it wasn't a few years ago.

Turn Off Ads?