Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

As I sit here trying to think of what might have been the best baseball trade ever, value for value, benefiting both teams involved, the one I keep coming back to is in 1990 when the Toronto Blue Jays sent Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez to the San Diego Padres for Joe Carter and Roberto Alomar. 4 all-stars changed teams in this deal. One Hall of Famer (Alomar) and one guy who arguably should be in the Hall of Fame (McGriff). Joe Carter would go on to hit the most important homerun in Blue Jay history. Value for value, I don't think either team could argue about the production they received from the players they acquired.

Is there any other trade in the history of the game that comes close to being as big a deal for the teams involved than this one?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

The Boston-LA trade kind of changed courses for both teams to the point where both teams went deep in the postseason, and in Boston's case won it obviously.

Rick Sutcliffe from Indians to Cubs for Joe Carter in 1984. Sutcliffe, lead Cubs to the playoffs, won Cy Young and was anchor of staff for years. Carter became Indians best player, leading them to many playoff years.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Joe carter never led indians to any playoffs.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Good one to think about. That one you cite is going to be really, really hard to beat. I can't recall anything close right now.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Bruce Sutter from the Cubs to Cards for Leon Durham; Ken Rietz and Ty Waller also went to Chicago in the deal, but were not factors.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Morgan to the Reds

Speaker to the Indians

Jackson to the CWS

Smith to the Cards

All resulted in World Series wins

angel bravo for Al Ferrera

Dick Allen from the Dodgers to Chisox for Tommy John.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Does Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez for Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, and Brendan Harris crack the top 10? :O) I kid.

Seriously though, the Morgan trade should be way up there.

12. Likes:

Rafael Landestoy for Harry Spilman

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-09-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

Seriously though, the Morgan trade should be way up there.
    I think the Morgan trade is the only one mentioned so far that I'd consider close to the Alomar/Carter for McGriff/Fernandez deal.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I think the Morgan trade is the only one mentioned so far that I'd consider close to the Alomar/Carter for McGriff/Fernandez deal.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I disagree.

The Astros really didn't benefit all that much from an aging Lee May and Tommy Helms. I would say my Dick Allen/Tommy John choice is better. John went on to have what many believe to have a HOF career with the Dodgers and Allen won the MVP in 72' with the Chisox.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

18. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (01-09-2014),Revering4Blue (01-09-2014)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I disagree.

The Astros really didn't benefit all that much from an aging Lee May and Tommy Helms. I would say my Dick Allen/Tommy John choice is better. John went on to have what many believe to have a HOF career with the Dodgers and Allen won the MVP in 72' with the Chisox.
    Spot-on.

Also, Regarding my previous post, Sutter helped the Cards win the World Series in '82, while Durham was a solid first baseman for many years, who played an intregal role for the '84 N.L east champs. If that's not win-win/value-value, I don't know what is.

I'd rate the Allen/John swap the highest, though, by a landslide.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?