Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Cesar Izturis

Re: The Reds signed Cesar Izturis?

He can't hit at all, but he sure can pick it.

He's a middle infield version of Jack Hannahan.

Not a poor signing at all, but I wonder if the club would carry both he and Donald, while also stashing Burrus in AAA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Sign Cesar Izturis
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 14 at 4:34pm CST]
    The Reds signed Cesar Izturis to a minor league contract that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. Peter E. Greenberg & Associates represents the infielder.

“He adds competition, mainly defensively and he provides insurance,” Reds GM Walt Jocketty said of Izturis.

Izturis posted a .241/.254/.343 batting line in 173 plate appearances for the Brewers and Nationals in 2012. The 32-year-old played all four infield positions with Milwaukee and appeared at second base, third base and shortstop with Washington.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#FfPqVRHUU8Wg2eDh.99

What an odd occurrence with the delay in an actual news release of the signing.

And this is one, should he be on the big club some time this season, that will make me miss Nuxy. Wouldn't you love to hear him work on pronouncing his name? And how about Choo and Izturis being involved in the same play?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Different flavor of Wilson Valdez. Nice guy to have around but bad news if you have to give him regular playing time.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    RedsZone is slipping. This should've been at least a 25-page thread by Jan. 10.
    No one started one about the signing of Ray Chang either!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Different flavor of Wilson Valdez. Nice guy to have around but bad news if you have to give him regular playing time.
    RMR, isnt there a big difference in terms of defensive ability between Izturis and Valdez? Valdez played a pretty terrible defensive shortstop and couldnt hit, while Izturis is an above average glove at short with an equally terrible stick. Or am I wrong about Izturis' glove?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    RMR, isnt there a big difference in terms of defensive ability between Izturis and Valdez? Valdez played a pretty terrible defensive shortstop and couldnt hit, while Izturis is an above average glove at short with an equally terrible stick. Or am I wrong about Izturis' glove?
    Saying his glove is the inverse of his bat is probably an overstatement considering how terrible his bat is, but his defensive stats have always been good. It sounds like he won't even be on the team most the time. Good guy to stash in Kentucky if, God forbid, Cozart goes down for an extended stretch.

OK, so what's the final verdict Izturis or Iznturis a Red? Sorry, just couldn't Hep M'Self!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Saying his glove is the inverse of his bat is probably an overstatement considering how terrible his bat is, but his defensive stats have always been good. It sounds like he won't even be on the team most the time. Good guy to stash in Kentucky if, God forbid, Cozart goes down for an extended stretch.
    I didnt mean to make it seem like I think that Izturis' glove is as good as his bat is bad. Rather, I was trying to clarify with RMR whether he really felt Izturis is as useless as Valdez was last year. It is my impression that while Izturis cant hit, he can at least play an above average defensive shortstop. Valdez couldnt hit or play even an adequate shortstop. Am I wrong about Izturis' glove?

I also think Izturis is a good guy to have picking it at short in Louisville and helping Cingrani and Corcino with their confidence. I just think that if he says he wont report to AAA, I would rather have him on the bench than Jason Donald because Izturis could fill in long term at short (God forbid), while Donald cant this year. Donald may have more upside, but I think Izturis is likely the better bet at short in 2013.

We have our leadoff hitter.

Sub .600 OPS....but a pesky shortstop.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Well, don't confuse how well a guy plays defense in a limited sample with his reputation as a defender. Valdez was supposed to be pretty solid. The UZR samples with both of them in recent years are small enough so as to be basically meaningless as measures of talent. But if you want to argue that Izturis is just replacement level instead of sub-replacement, I wouldn't argue nor would I brag).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The article must be inaccurate. I see the signings of Macier and Julio Izturis, but not Cesar. Also, the Reds show him as signed on 1/9/13.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/...13&team_id=113
    Wow I thought the Molina's had the market on most of them running around MLB. Anyways great signing IMO, he could be useful if/when Cozart needs a break.

Remember when it was discussed here about trading for him when the Angels had 3 shortstops? Small world.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I love this signing -. as long as he plays in Louisville until September 1 or Cozart goes on the DL. Ths team woud be a defensive mess with any of Donald, Burris or Hannahan getting extended chunks of time at SS. If Cozart is injured, I want Izturis stating at SS 5 days per week until he comes back. I know it will be like having another pitcher in the line-up, but SS is too important to the defense to go with a substandard defender there.

I know Burris was signed, but he's more of a second baseman (and his bat isn't really better than Izturis). He's bettter than Donald, but he's not really a day-in, day-out SS.

The Reds should pay Izturis major league money while he's in AAA so he sticks around when Spring Training ends. If its too crowded in AAA, I'd cut Negron or one of the others loose.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Well, don't confuse how well a guy plays defense in a limited sample with his reputation as a defender. Valdez was supposed to be pretty solid. The UZR samples with both of them in recent years are small enough so as to be basically meaningless as measures of talent. But if you want to argue that Izturis is just replacement level instead of sub-replacement, I wouldn't argue nor would I brag).
    Thanks for clarifying. I am not as well-versed at defensive statistics as I am with offensive statistics. All of Izturis' defensive statistics seemed pretty positive to me and I had read some good scouting reports about his defense, so I was confused about the Valdez comparison.

Izturis could very well be a replacement level shortstop. There just aren't going to be many above replacement level shortstops that are going to want to come to Cincinnati to sit the bench behind Cozart, nor are the cash-strapped Reds too interested in investing serious money in what is an insurance policy for Cozart. Getting a good glove, no hit shortstop is about as good as I could imagine the Reds could do as a backup to Cozart given their resources.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I love this signing -. as long as he plays in Louisville until September 1 or Cozart goes on the DL. Ths team woud be a defensive mess with any of Donald, Burris or Hannahan getting extended chunks of time at SS. If Cozart is injured, I want Izturis stating at SS 5 days per week until he comes back. I know it will be like having another pitcher in the line-up, but SS is too important to the defense to go with a substandard defender there.

I know Burris was signed, but he's more of a second baseman (and his bat isn't really better than Izturis). He's bettter than Donald, but he's not really a day-in, day-out SS.

The Reds should pay Izturis major league money while he's in AAA so he sticks around when Spring Training ends. If its too crowded in AAA, I'd cut Negron or one of the others loose.
    Agreed 100% This was a move most definitely needed.

Turn Off Ads?