Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake to third, throw to first move now a balk.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Fake to third, throw to first move now a balk.

It's now been adopted as an official rule per deadspin.

News!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Fake to third, throw to first move now a balk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's now been adopted as an official rule per deadspin.

News!
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ts-for-angels/

It worked for the Angels both last year and in 2011.

Lefties can't do it, because it's a balk for them. That's the only reason i can see getting rid of it. Speed the game up? nah, there's a million other things they can do to speed the game.
    sorry we're boring

I've watched a ridiculous number of baseball games and I never saw this work one time.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I've watched a ridiculous number of baseball games and I never saw this work one time.
    I've heard Marty say when someone tries it that "that play hasn't worked since Abner Doubleday was a baby."

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=16893

Works about once a month, in 2012, per this BP article from last year.

What, next they do away with the hidden ball trick?
    sorry we're boring

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Ah, the hidden ball trick. I haven't seen that one in a while. I always love seeing that baby work. Just so fun to watch. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ah, the hidden ball trick. I haven't seen that one in a while. I always love seeing that baby work. Just so fun to watch. :O)
    Ozzie Guillen getting nabbed twice. Classic stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVH3sxZt0s

Seems to me you will see this play work about once a year. I don't see the necessity to change the rule. Why not concentrate on calling getting umps to call a consistent strike zone.
    I dont understand why lefties could not do this move. Certainly would be more awkward but not impossible.
    So pitchers can still fake to second or third but they can't then throw to first right? (on a fake to third)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Baserunners should be more aware now too. If the pitcher does fake to third, the runner should move slightly toward second or stay put, and try to draw the pitcher's throw to first. Balk.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The pitchers will just step off the rubber more and slow the game down that much more. At least with the fake to third there was the slightest chance someone could get picked off. Now what we will see is the pitcher stepping off the rubber and the umpire throwing his hands up for time. Whooopeee.........
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm not sure why their panties are in such a wad about the play to change the rule.

In all the baseball I have watched I have never seen a pick off attempt at 3rd base. I have long wondered why no team has put that play one. Granted its a riskier move, if the ball gets away the run scores, but it seems like it would be the perfect base to attempt that. The runners often get a larger lead and don't pay attention to the pitcher as much. Especially in a situation where you have the 3b playing in, if you put a play on you may have a better chance at picking the runner off.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In all the baseball I have watched I have never seen a pick off attempt at 3rd base. I have long wondered why no team has put that play one. Granted its a riskier move, if the ball gets away the run scores, but it seems like it would be the perfect base to attempt that. The runners often get a larger lead and don't pay attention to the pitcher as much. Especially in a situation where you have the 3b playing in, if you put a play on you may have a better chance at picking the runner off.
    I remember a Reds-Cubs game at Wrigley Field a few years ago in which Carlos Zambrano attempted to pick off Eric Milton at 3B after Milton had tripled. Big Z threw it into the 15th row of box seats behind the Cubs dugout.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I remember a Reds-Cubs game at Wrigley Field a few years ago in which Carlos Zambrano attempted to pick off Eric Milton at 3B after Milton had tripled. Big Z threw it into the 15th row of box seats behind the Cubs dugout.
    And somehow Milton still failed to score.

glad they're addressing all the important issues....as for the lefty being at a disadvantage....don't they have a big enough advantage(overall)with the move to first?

Turn Off Ads?