Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Payrolls Up!

Baseball Payrolls Up!

This article from Yahoo has me scratching my head. Could it be correct that our Reds have a payroll of over $100 million on opening day?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening...224840102.html

maybe it shouldn't surprise me but I thought it was closer to $90 million but admittedly it isn't something I keep close tabs on.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Baseball Payrolls Up!

Personally, I don't worry about it much. If they couldn't afford it, they wouldn't do it.

107M doesn't seem right, my guess is there not factoring in deferred money.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    107M doesn't seem right, my guess is there not factoring in deferred money.
    I don't know, they seem to have nailed last year's estimate. Doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

There's no way they can know our payroll at this point because we have a bunch of guys who aren't yet signed including arbitration eligible ones such as Bailey and Latos

But that number may not be far fetched because Cots says that we already have $72mill committed to 12 players

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

When I look at the title of this thread "Baseball Payrolls Up!", I immediately think about where the money for those payrolls comes from. And it's not just from ticket sales or concession sales at the ballpark. If the Reds were dependent on making that revenue stream off of me, they'd go broke, since I live 1,000 miles away from Cincinnati.

Next time you pay your cable TV or satellite dish bill, you can think about this, too. Part of the money you pay your cable or satellite dish operator is going back to the TV stations and cable networks that televise MLB games. The operator pays money back to those programmers, in the form of monthly license fees.

If you don't like seeing your cable bill go up every year, it's a bad thing. If you see it as a cost of being a sports fan and getting access to a vast array of games on TV, that's reasonable. It's just not something that should be ignored. Those payrolls are going up with your money.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 01-16-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    /r/reds

Cot's has the Reds currently at $87.8 million.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Cot's has the Reds currently at $87.8 million.
    Don't go to Yahoo for facts is my advice

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    When I look at the title of this thread "Baseball Payrolls Up!", I immediately think about where the money for those payrolls comes from. And it's not just from ticket sales or concession sales at the ballpark. If the Reds were dependent on making that revenue stream off of me, they'd go broke, since I live 1,000 miles away from Cincinnati.

Next time you pay your cable TV or satellite dish bill, you can think about this, too. Part of the money you pay your cable or satellite dish operator is going back to the TV stations and cable networks that televise MLB games. The operator pays money back to those programmers, in the form of monthly license fees.

If you don't like seeing your cable bill go up every year, it's a bad thing. If you see it as a cost of being a sports fan and getting access to a vast array of games on TV, that's reasonable. It's just not something that should be ignored. Those payrolls are going up with your money.
    It is the entertainment industry correct?

Only Hockey is wedded to fannies in the seats for revenue

Your cable bill isn't a cost of living, it's a luxury. Entertainment is what you buy with the leftover money after all the important stuff is taken care of. So if the amount (or proportion, really) spent on entertainment goes up, you have to assume the cost of the necessities went down, and that's usually a good thing.

Don't take my post wrong, I couldn't care less what the figure is, it just seemed a bit dramatic for where we are with the contracts already signed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team go to a number nearing 125 million in the very near future.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Your cable bill isn't a cost of living, it's a luxury. Entertainment is what you buy with the leftover money after all the important stuff is taken care of. So if the amount (or proportion, really) spent on entertainment goes up, you have to assume the cost of the necessities went down, and that's usually a good thing.
    The thing that bothers me about it is that the money also comes from people who subscribe to cable and have zero interest in baseball. I'm sure nobody reading RedsZone minds, because everyone here likes baseball. I do too.

Me, I mind my cable dollars going to NFL football. Couldn't care less about the NFL. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch an NFL game for free. I do feel sorry for the people who subscribe to cable and feel that way about MLB.
    /r/reds

Feel free to count whatever you want against the 2013 payroll--I know for a fact that not all of these things are expected to be included. But here are the payroll obligations I can come up with:
    Code:
    19.000	Joey Votto
    10.000	Brandon Phillips
     7.500	Jay Bruce
     7.400	Johnny Cueto
     6.500	Bronson Arroyo
     5.100#	Homer Bailey
     4.600#	Mat Latos
     4.500	Sean Marshall
     4.400	Shin-Soo Choo
     4.000	Jonathan Broxton
     3.600*	Ken Griffey, Jr.