Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,507

    ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...ball-schedule/

    March 31 Texas Rangers at Houston Astros
    April 7 Los Angeles Angels at Texas Rangers *
    April 14 Baltimore Orioles at New York Yankees
    April 21 St. Louis Cardinals at Philadelphia Phillies
    April 28 Atlanta Braves at Detroit Tigers
    May 5 Los Angeles Dodgers at San Francisco Giants
    May 12 Los Angeles Angels at Chicago White Sox
    May 19 Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers
    May 26 Atlanta Braves at New York Mets
    July 14 St. Louis Cardinals at Chicago Cubs
    July 21 New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,877

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    At least they managed to find a way to get the New York and Los Angeles teams some exposure. I was worried they may forget about those markets...

  4. #3
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    In fairness, the Reds only have three series that would appeal to a national audience in those weekends. My guess is that the June 9th game against the Cardinals will be selected.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  5. #4
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,686

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Good! I'd rather watch the game Sunday afternoon and not lose sleep before heading to another week of work.

    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  6. #5
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    I usually take advantage of the Family 4-Pack Sundays, and it makes for a rough Monday morning when the game starts at 8. Would have liked for them to get a Reds road game on there, though. No Washington, either, which is a strange choice.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  7. #6
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,125

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Give me afternoon or late afternoon Sunday baseball and I am happy.

  8. #7
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,362

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Give me afternoon or late afternoon Sunday baseball and I am happy.
    Play in the morning, at lunch, at four and at eight... I can sleep when I'm dead

  9. #8
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I usually take advantage of the Family 4-Pack Sundays, and it makes for a rough Monday morning when the game starts at 8. Would have liked for them to get a Reds road game on there, though. No Washington, either, which is a strange choice.
    The NL teams with the best records last season and they can't make the first cut of Sunday night baseball. They could have scheduled their Sunday game in DC April 28th and got them both in one fell swoop. But like a few others have said I would just as soon watch them in the afternoon than on a Sunday night anyway.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  10. #9
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The NL teams with the best records last season and they can't make the first cut of Sunday night baseball. They could have scheduled their Sunday game in DC April 28th and got them both in one fell swoop. But like a few others have said I would just as soon watch them in the afternoon than on a Sunday night anyway.
    That would have been PERFECT. I like afternoon games, as well, but there is something about playing Sunday nights that makes it feel like more of an event. I hate ESPN and everything it stands for, but doggone, they've brainwashed me enough to make me believe they do spectacle as well as anyone.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  11. #10
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,413

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Play in the morning, at lunch, at four and at eight... I can sleep when I'm dead
    "I never sleep 'cause sleep is the cousin of death."
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #11
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,547

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    I can understand the frustration here but ESPN is basing it's programming off of potential viewership and ratings. One could question the first game of the year but aside from that, all of those games are in markets where national viewership has traditionally been rated high or those markets are huge markets. I know that the Reds draw great local support from their TV ratings but something like the Cubs vs. Cardinals has in the past drawn well on a national level. Yankees vs. Red Sox might seem overplayed but it gets the ratings. I wish that they would do something like the NFL does where every team is presented in a Thursday night prime time game each season. In that scenario, it would be more fair. This is going to sound extremely pompous so forgive me before hand but realistically, the Reds will not get the kind of national viewership that you or I believe they should get unless they make it to the World Series. That always tends to move the national needle and eye on a team.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  13. #12
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,996

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Awesome, glad to know the Cards fan is good with the schedule. Cool.

  14. #13
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,928

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    If only this were about them not being featured on Saturday Fox baseball.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  15. #14
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,254

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I can understand the frustration here but ESPN is basing it's programming off of potential viewership and ratings. One could question the first game of the year but aside from that, all of those games are in markets where national viewership has traditionally been rated high or those markets are huge markets. I know that the Reds draw great local support from their TV ratings but something like the Cubs vs. Cardinals has in the past drawn well on a national level. Yankees vs. Red Sox might seem overplayed but it gets the ratings. I wish that they would do something like the NFL does where every team is presented in a Thursday night prime time game each season. In that scenario, it would be more fair. This is going to sound extremely pompous so forgive me before hand but realistically, the Reds will not get the kind of national viewership that you or I believe they should get unless they make it to the World Series. That always tends to move the national needle and eye on a team.
    This is one of the reasons why baseball has taken a back seat to football in many parts of the country. The NFL has done a great job of creating a structure where star talent is spread throughout the league and ensuring that the best teams get primetime exposure regardless of market size. By allowing their national broadcast partners to punt the smaller markets in favor of short-term ratings wins by featuring the big market teams, MLB is pretty much telling large sections of the country that they're not important. If they had a better long-term strategy to build up the quality of teams across the league and ensure that more teams got national exposure, maybe baseball would still be the National Pastime.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  16. #15
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,362

    Re: ESPN Sunday Night Schedule released...and the Reds are not featured.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    This is one of the reasons why baseball has taken a back seat to football in many parts of the country. The NFL has done a great job of creating a structure where star talent is spread throughout the league and ensuring that the best teams get primetime exposure regardless of market size. By allowing their national broadcast partners to punt the smaller markets in favor of short-term ratings wins by featuring the big market teams, MLB is pretty much telling large sections of the country that they're not important. If they had a better long-term strategy to build up the quality of teams across the league and ensure that more teams got national exposure, maybe baseball would still be the National Pastime.
    The Pirates haven't been on in 12 years , but the NFL has been kicking MLB butts on TV since the 70's, no amount of Pirates or Reds games on Sunday is going to change that, football is a perfect TV sport played when the weather is bad.

    Baseball does just fine without worrying about football and all the games are on anyway, whether ESPN deems them worthy or not.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25