Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotation for the back end of our Rotation

Rotation for the back end of our Rotation

With Chapman making his switch to starting this season and no doubt under some sort of an innings count, it got me thinking of a way to manage our last two spots between Arroyo, Leake and Chapman. My thought is to rotate them so a different set of two are the 4th and 5th starters for any given time. This would give each guy 2 starts in 3 oppertunities. So if we are blessed with a year like last where the pitchers stayed healthy each guy would get two thirds of the possible starts. This should keep Chapman within a innings limit while keeping him active the whole season avoiding a Strasburg type end of year shutdown. It also keeps Leake active and getting meaningful starts along with Arroyo. This way if Arroyo is let go once his contract runs out we will know difinitavley if Champman and Leake can be starters moving forward.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rotation for the back end of our Rotation

I have wondered about something like this, but think Arroyo said he prefers less days between starts, not more?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I think Leake is better when he doesn't have too much rest as well. Arroyo and Leake both rely so much on control, it probably would hurt them to have a 9 day layoff after every 2 starts.

Take the 5 best and run with them.Don't hemhaw around with it. If Leake starts out in the pen, doesn't mean he won't get a spot start here or there......barring injury. i don't mind the skipped start here or there. Hell, a little rest never hurt no one.

Redleger13

1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Arroyo
    4. Bailey
    5. Chapman

Arroyo breaks up the similar styles of Latos and Bailey and puts Chapman in the five slot where he belongs in order to limit innings. No, Leake doesn't belong in there. Not now at least.
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I like the idea of Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey and Leake until the All-Star break and then adding Chapman. Of course if there are injuries before then, everything is subject to change.

This way Chapman is available in the playoffs.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Leake is the odd man out, but my money is on him starting plenty of game as a 6th starter. Not a chance our rotation remains as healthy as it did in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by dkamberi25 View Post
    With Chapman making his switch to starting this season and no doubt under some sort of an innings count

I'm sure he will. If we are lucky enough to be in the hunt after the all star break (I think we will but don't wanna be cocky) Chapman should skip some starts or just go to the pen so we have him late in the year.

This is what Washington should have done with Strausburg and why some of the Nats fans are still going "what if" over it.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by dkamberi25 View Post
    With Chapman making his switch to starting this season and no doubt under some sort of an innings count, it got me thinking of a way to manage our last two spots between Arroyo, Leake and Chapman. My thought is to rotate them so a different set of two are the 4th and 5th starters for any given time. This would give each guy 2 starts in 3 oppertunities. So if we are blessed with a year like last where the pitchers stayed healthy each guy would get two thirds of the possible starts. This should keep Chapman within a innings limit while keeping him active the whole season avoiding a Strasburg type end of year shutdown. It also keeps Leake active and getting meaningful starts along with Arroyo. This way if Arroyo is let go once his contract runs out we will know difinitavley if Champman and Leake can be starters moving forward.
    If Dusty Baker were to implement something like this I think my head would explode. The universe would no longer make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I like the idea of Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey and Leake until the All-Star break and then adding Chapman. Of course if there are injuries before then, everything is subject to change.

This way Chapman is available in the playoffs.
    It is much harder for a player to become a starter midseason than it is if they become a starter at the beginning of the season. If we are going to make a guy a starter in the middle of the year I would prefer it not be Chapman.

May not be "by the book" and it may not be the best way to utilize your overall bullpen, but can we not make Chapman/Leake "co-starters" on that 5th day?

Chapman goes the first 3 or 4 innings followed by Leake for 3 or 4. Each would know what day they are throwing and can prepare as a starter. Leake knows pretty well when to warm-up.

Leake could even hit for Chapman if it worked out that way on Chapman's 2nd AB of the game.

The drawback is of course that probably nullifies Leake being used as a "long man" between his "starts" and that puts you one short in the pen unless you keep an extra pitcher.

I've wondered if Arroyo might ask for and get a trade...back to Boston??

Im still hoping that Jockety smartens up and keeps chapman in the pen. He will effect ALOT more games as a closer than he would as a starter. Not to mention he keeps Butts in seats all the way until the 9th inning. It seems to me all the baseball players would rather keep him in the pen and its the fans and front office who want to move him.
    If they do move him to starter I hope its towards the end of the season so he doesnt throw too many innings and hurt his arm or get shut down. And him only having 1 reliable pitch doesnt help the situation either

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Im still hoping that Jockety smartens up and keeps chapman in the pen. He will effect ALOT more games as a closer than he would as a starter. Not to mention he keeps Butts in seats all the way until the 9th inning. It seems to me all the baseball players would rather keep him in the pen and its the fans and front office who want to move him.
    So would you rather have a lights out closer (which is what Chapman is) than an lights out starter (what Chapman could be)?

I will take a Verlander over a Kimbrel every day.

I dont think the transition is going to be as what most think it will. He isnt going to be a verlander atleast not anytime soon. He has 1 pitch he can control for a strike. He throws a fastball...That is it. He pitched 70 innings last season and fatigued.. As the season went on his speed dropped from 98 ish to a consistent 94-95. Add on more innings and that 95 will continue to go down. Major League Baseball players can hit. After the first time or 2 through the lineup that fastball is going to be alot easier to drive

I just havent heard many if any baseball guys (affiliated with MLB) say this is a good move. Everyone is saying keep him in the Pen where he belongs

Turn Off Ads?