Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals sign Rafael Soriano to two-year, $28 million deal

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Nationals sign Rafael Soriano to two-year, $28 million deal

Just when it looked like Soriano's decision to decline the $14 million option with the Yanks next year was going to backfire.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...deal/#comments
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Nationals sign Rafael Soriano to two-year, $28 million deal

Wow, and the Nats will have to give up a first-round draft pick. Interesting.

Screw the draft pick, good for them! This further fortifies what was already the most talented roster in baseball...

Seems like a lot of money paid for an upgrade they didn't quite need. Like buying an expensive new TV when you already have a perfectly good one. But perhaps the ending of their season still stings and $28 million is worth the belief that it won't happen with Soriano closing the game.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Screw the draft pick, good for them! This further fortifies what was already the most talented roster in baseball...
    "Screw the draft pick."

I'm sure RedsZone would have a similar reaction if we just spent $14 million a year for a closer AND had to give up a first-round pick.

Not at all.

Even late first-round picks are valuable these days, IMO. The Reds are in a good position right now largely because of quality drafting. Drew Stubbs is one of the few first-round busts we've had since 2004. Homer Bailey was a good pick. Jay Bruce was a good pick. We were able to flip a couple of first-rounders (Alonso, Grandal) and a supplemental first-rounder (Boxberger) for Mat Latos. Todd Frazier was a supplemental first-round pick, Joey Votto was a second-rounder, Billy Hamilton was a second-rounder, on and on.

The draft is extremely important, especially if you're a team without bottomless pockets. The Nats do have more money than the Reds, but they're not the Yankees and that's a hell of a lot of money to pay for a closer when you also have to give up a first-round draft pick.

There is no doubt RedsZone would be flipping the freak out (and rightfully so) if the Reds paid $14 million/year for a closer and surrendered a first-round pick in the process.

I'm wondering if they know something about Drew Storen's arm -- otherwise its a strange decision.
    Where we gonna go?

The Nats are also interested in Javier Vazquez if he decides he wants to pitch this year. The Reds have a good team but the Nationals are really putting together a force to be reckoned with in the NL. They re-signed LaRoche when they could have used Morse at 1B. Then they get a closer when they already have two. Kinda reminds me of the Yankees.

Chapman's current salary looks a lot better for a dominant closer now.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    "Screw the draft pick."

I'm sure RedsZone would have a similar reaction if we just spent $14 million a year for a closer AND had to give up a first-round pick.

Not at all.
    Point taken, the draft is important.
    However, an impact player for 2-3 years (assuming Soriano is going to perform at that level) is much more valuable on average than a late first round draft pick (The Nats are drafting near the end). Apparently, money is not really an issue.

It's analogous to us asking whether it would be worth giving up our first round pick this year to add another Matt Latos for 3 years.. most would say yes, as long as the salary bump wasn't crippling.

Consider it cost the Reds 2 first round draft picks, plus two other guys to get Latos.

Yea, I know it's not a perfect analogy, Latos is probably more valuable than Sorianno, but the point is there..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Nats have a crazy roster.....should run away with the division.

Playoffs? Chapman vs. Strasburg in the NLCS? Might be the best rated game ever.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Really good signing for the Nats. They needed a closer. I'll be shocked if Storen comes back mentally from his meltdown in the playoffs. I think the Nats know this and decided to act. IIRC, their first round pick is at the bottom of the 1st round. That's really not that much of a loss, IMO, for what you are getting now. The Nats have done a great job this off season improving their needs. They got a CF,Span;upgraded their rotation a bit with Haren and now have added an effective closer. They should be the favorite in the NL East this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Nats have a crazy roster.....should run away with the division.

Playoffs? Chapman vs. Strasburg in the NLCS? Might be the best rated game ever.
    If the Phillies stay healthy, no one is running away from them. It's still mostly about pitching and it doesn't get any better than the Phils' top-3 of Halladay, Lee and Hamels. If Howard and Utley stay healthy, they'll remain in the race all year. I certainly think the Nats are the favorite, I just disagree with the notion that they will "run away" with the NL East. The Braves will also be a team to be reckoned with (although I would pick them third).

PROJECTED 25-MAN ROSTER
    (*indicates left-handed batter **indicates switch-hitter)
    Projected 'Go-To' Starting Lineup (Click HERE to see last 7 lineups)
    1 CF Denard Span*
    2 LF Bryce Harper* BA#1 BP#1
    3 3B Ryan Zimmerman
    4 1B Adam LaRoche*
    5 RF Jayson Werth
    6 SS Ian Desmond
    7 2B Danny Espinosa**
    8 C Kurt Suzuki

Projected Bench
    C Wilson Ramos
    1B/3B Chad Tracy*
    1B/OF Michael Morse
    IF/OF Steve Lombardozzi** BA#7 BP#8
    OF Roger Bernadina*

Projected Starting Rotation
    1 RHP Stephen Strasburg
    2 LHP Gio Gonzalez
    3 RHP Jordan Zimmermann
    4 RHP Dan Haren
    5 LHP Ross Detwiler

Projected Bullpen
    CL RHP Rafael Soriano
    SU RHP Drew Storen
    SU RHP Tyler Clippard
    MID RHP Ryan Mattheus
    MID RHP Henry Rodriguez
    MID LHP Zach Duke
    LR RHP Craig Stammen

www.mlbdepthcharts.com
    I like our offensive lineup better. Their rotation is probably better due to the uncertainty of Chapman/Leake. The bullpen is a wash since they only have Zach Duke as a LHP and we've got Marshall. It could swing heavily in our favor if Chapman goes back to closer. If Broxton has a good year and we add a RHP stud to further set up games, we're in great shape. Their bench is likely way better if Morse is on their team and hitting well in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    "Screw the draft pick."

Not at all.

Even late first-round picks are valuable these days, IMO. The Reds are in a good position right now largely because of quality drafting. Drew Stubbs is one of the few first-round busts we've had since 2004. Homer Bailey was a good pick. Jay Bruce was a good pick. We were able to flip a couple of first-rounders (Alonso, Grandal) and a supplemental first-rounder (Boxberger) for Mat Latos. Todd Frazier was a supplemental first-round pick, Joey Votto was a second-rounder, Billy Hamilton was a second-rounder, on and on.

The draft is extremely important, especially if you're a team without bottomless pockets. The Nats do have more money than the Reds, but they're not the Yankees and that's a hell of a lot of money to pay for a closer when you also have to give up a first-round draft pick.

There is no doubt RedsZone would be flipping the freak out (and rightfully so) if the Reds paid $14 million/year for a closer and surrendered a first-round pick in the process.
    I agree that draft picks are incredibly valuable in the long-term, but I don't care about the long-term prospects of the Washington Nationals. All I care about is how this impacts the Reds chances of winning the NL pennant in 2013. Losing a 2013 draft pick won't have any adverse effect on the Nationals until 2016 or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I agree that draft picks are incredibly valuable in the long-term, but I don't care about the long-term prospects of the Washington Nationals. All I care about is how this impacts the Reds chances of winning the NL pennant in 2013. Losing a 2013 draft pick won't have any adverse effect on the Nationals until 2016 or later.
    It does shrink their bonus pool in next year's draft. It also reduces trade bait starting in June 2014. These are small potatoes when you're contending for a title, though.

Turn Off Ads?