Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals add Soriano

Nationals add Soriano

This is looking like one formidable foe. They have just added Rafael Soriano to their bullpen.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/01/15/rafael-.../?sct=hp_t2_a4

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Nationals add Soriano

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This is looking like one formidable foe. They have just added Rafael Soriano to their bullpen.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/01/15/rafael-.../?sct=hp_t2_a4
    yikes
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

They're still short on offense though.

Gonna be really tough for any NL TEAM to top Wash in 2013. We get our complete season series with the Nats in April (7 GAMES).

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I am not exactly sure where you are getting this from. Playing half their games in an extreme pitcher's park (while the Reds played half of their games in GABP), they still outscored the Reds last year 731-669.

LaRoche - .853
    Desmond - .845
    Werth - .827
    Zimmerman - .824
    Harper - .817
    Morse - .791

Add to that Denard Span and Wilson Ramos. 2012 team OPS+ showed Washington at 102 and Cincinnati at 90.

They have plenty of offense. I wish the Reds had that offense to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I am not exactly sure where you are getting this from. Playing half their games in an extreme pitcher's park (while the Reds played half of their games in GABP), they still outscored the Reds last year 731-669.

LaRoche - .853
    Desmond - .845
    Werth - .827
    Zimmerman - .824
    Harper - .817
    Morse - .791

Add to that Denard Span and Wilson Ramos. 2012 team OPS+ showed Washington at 102 and Cincinnati at 90.

They have plenty of offense. I wish the Reds had that offense to be honest.

I want my old Washington Senators back --- yeah I am THAT old -- they were so bad they could make the early Mets look good!

I miss Raisor

Never count on paper champions panning out...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    can't argue that point but the paper looks pretty good to me

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    We can only hope it's on this paper:

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Im not all the convinced that Soriano is better than Drew Storen. And Morse wont be in Washington by the time the season starts. He has nowhere to play. Span, Harper(hopefully goes through his sophomore slump) and Werth will control the outfield while LaRoche(hopefully goes back to his old self) controls first base

Vottobot

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    This is very wrong... Span, Werth, Harper, Zimmerman, Laroche, Desmond, Espinosa... I'd venture to say that's a little better than our lineup. Zimmerman is one of the most underrated players in the league
    Go Redlegs!!

Quote Originally Posted by tedies View Post
    This is very wrong... Span, Werth, Harper, Zimmerman, Laroche, Desmond, Espinosa... I'd venture to say that's a little better than our lineup. Zimmerman is one of the most underrated players in the league
    Not to mention Desmond emerged as probably the best hitting SS in the NL last year.

The reds should be good next year, but I wouldn't say our team is better than the Nats, both look like formidable opponents from an offensive standpoint as well as a pitching standpoint for the next several years.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

This certainly bolsters the Nat's pen. They were already probably the best on paper team in the NL and will now be better,on paper. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I think teams like the nationals, reds, giants etc have positioned themselves about as well as they can. Now things have to go right for one of them during the season, and what is essentially a crapshoot, the postseason.

Just a thought.........Soriano has had major injury problems throughout his career. I can easily see him blowing out again and costing the Nats major blown payroll.

The Nationals had, arguably, the best team in the NL last year. To that mix they have added Denard Span, Dan Haren and Rafael Soriano. They seem to be heavily in on Javier Vasquez as well. They seem to be pushing all-in these next couple of years.
    Their owner, who is worth nearly 4 billion, is Ted Lerner. He is also 87 years old. I doubt he is looking five years down the road.
    As far as the Soriano signing goes he will received 7 million the next two seasons, with the remainder being spread out over the next decade. 7 million a season for Soriano is quite reasonable if you ask me.

And, like I mentioned earlier, when you are 87 years old your plans are probably skewed more towards the short-term than long-term.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-16-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Turn Off Ads?