Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Reds roster in 2016

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member RedsfaninMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    451

    Reds roster in 2016

    In what is not protected material from Baseball America, it is interesting to see that their 2016 lineup has the Choo in LF with Hamilton in CF. I think they are a little off to me to have 1. Cueto 2. Chapman 3. Latos 4. Stephenson 5. Bailey with Corcino as the closer. IF Latos is still here, I would bet he would be #1.

    Imagine that lineup though:
    1. Hamilton
    2. Choo
    3. Votto
    4. Bruce
    5. Mesoraco
    6. B.P.
    7. Frazier
    8. Cozart

    I know, too many lefties in a row, but can't see B.P. hitting much higher 4 years from now. Also would guess that somebody else might supplant Frazier at 3B.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    280

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    The key is Mesoraco. If he can hit for power and average, our line up would be set for the future, slot him in the 4 spot.

    B Hamilton
    Choo
    Votto
    Mesoraco
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Frazier
    Cozart

    This could potentially be our 2014 line up, depends on Luddy and Mes.
    I would love to extend Choo, but a few things must go our way. Mesoraco clicking and reaching his potential would be HUGE

  3. #3
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Mesoraco reminds me of Stubbs at the plate. Completely has no plan at the plate. Seems to not recognize pitches. Swings at pitches out of the K zone. Undisciplined.

    For a catcher to not be able to recognize pitches when he's hitting is almost impossible to do. But he seems clueless at times.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  4. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,878

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Mesoraco reminds me of Stubbs at the plate. Completely has no plan at the plate. Seems to not recognize pitches. Swings at pitches out of the K zone. Undisciplined.

    For a catcher to not be able to recognize pitches when he's hitting is almost impossible to do. But he seems clueless at times.
    Confirmation bias says hello.

    Last season Drew Stubbs swung outside the zone 3rd least amount on the team and was grouped well with Ryan Hanigan and Joey Votto before a gap to get to the next guy.

    Mesoraco wasn't good, but he wasn't bad either. He was right there with Cozart (Mesoraco was 5th, Cozart 6th).

    Check out the leaderboard. Phillips was atrocious. Todd Frazier wasn't good at all either.

  5. #5
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Confirmation bias says hello.

    Last season Drew Stubbs swung outside the zone 3rd least amount on the team and was grouped well with Ryan Hanigan and Joey Votto before a gap to get to the next guy.

    Mesoraco wasn't good, but he wasn't bad either. He was right there with Cozart (Mesoraco was 5th, Cozart 6th).

    Check out the leaderboard. Phillips was atrocious. Todd Frazier wasn't good at all either.
    My eyes tell me more than the stats do.

    Mez is going to be a backup catcher most of his career. Just my opinion.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  6. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,878

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    My eyes tell me more than the stats do.

    Mez is going to be a backup catcher most of his career. Just my opinion.
    Your eyes are clearly lying to you then, as shown with actual numerical evidence. Sure, maybe neither guy "has a plan at the plate", but neither guy is chasing pitches outside the zone at some high rate compared to other guys.

  7. #7
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Your eyes are clearly lying to you then, as shown with actual numerical evidence. Sure, maybe neither guy "has a plan at the plate", but neither guy is chasing pitches outside the zone at some high rate compared to other guys.
    My eyes "are clearly lying to you then"???? Pretty insulting.

    I'll take my eyes over your over reliance on stats any day of the week.

    Please learn to just agree to disagree. And respect others opinions. You seem to have to be right all the time and it's annoying.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    38

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Any chance Travieso cracks the 2016 staff?

  9. #9
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    I think the reds need to make a decision. Either chose Hannigan and move mez to another club while he still has value or start Mez. Since it is Dusty's call i doubt Mez will get much playing time.

    Also, you can't say Mez will never hit major league pitching. Do you remember Yadi's slash line his first few years in the bigs?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    38

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    I think the reds need to make a decision. Either chose Hannigan and move mez to another club while he still has value or start Mez. Since it is Dusty's call i doubt Mez will get much playing time.

    Also, you can't say Mez will never hit major league pitching. Do you remember Yadi's slash line his first few years in the bigs?


    Hanigan has EARNED the starts he is getting and is why the Reds pitching is what it is.

  11. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,878

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtenn28 View Post
    Hanigan has EARNED the starts he is getting and is why the Reds pitching is what it is.
    So Hanigan is why, and not the pitchers?

  12. #12
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtenn28 View Post
    Hanigan has EARNED the starts he is getting and is why the Reds pitching is what it is.
    i agree with you. Im just saying a decision needs to be made. Hannigan isn't a spring chicken anymore though. Perhaps if Mez comes out this spring and shows that he remembers how to hit they may be able to split time more evenly this season (something mez would really benefit from).

    I believe hannigan is supremely underrated. After molina i think he is the second best catcher in the division.

  13. #13
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,699

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    I think the most intriguing position moving forward is Third Base. Todd Frazier is there for now, but I get an inkling that the Reds would prefer him in the OF or as a 400+ PA super sub. The Reds have a bunch of decent, but not first tier, propsects lined-up at 3B and I wonder how they will all get playing time. H-Rod in AAA, Vidal in AA, Mattair should probably be in AA, Mejias-Brean will be at A with maybe a quick move to A+. Gabriel Rosa was a second rounder and is still only 19 and Junior Arias is still only 21 and both could get their acts together after rough starts as very young players. Tanner Rahier was a second rounder last season with a relatively decent amount of fanfare and projects as a 3rd baseman as well.

    2013 is going to be an interesting year to watch the prospects position themselves for 2014 and beyond and 3B is probably the most muddled and, at the same time, promisingly deep position in the system.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-26-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    2013 is going to be an interesting year to watch the prospects position themselves for 2014 and beyond and 3B is probably the most muddled and, at the same time, promisingly deep position in the system.
    Lots of interesting CF types as well, IMO.

    Hamilton is a stud.
    Bryson Smith has done nothing but hit since he was drafted.
    Ryan LaMarre supposedly owns all five tools, but hasn't found any power. (He's a great runner, however, and looks like he's patient.)
    Theo Bowe had a breakout season last year and looks intriguing as he begins play in AA. (Maybe.)
    Juan Silva played relatively well in Dayton last season and deserves another look-see, this time at Bakersfield.
    Beau Amaral is the son of a former major leaguer, and he did fairly well last season in Billings.
    Finally, Jonathan Reynoso is a BA Top Ten talent that scouts across the game seem to like.

    These guys all look like they could be useful in some capacity, from fourth outfielders to major league stars. Interesting to see what happens here.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  15. #15
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Reds roster in 2016

    From Doug's stats he posted, it looks like what people are seeing is Stubbs MISSING on outside pitches way more often than anyone else. When a guy hits a pitch out of the zone, no one really notices. Its when he swings and misses at pitches out of the zone when people notice. That's why your eyes tell you one thing, but the truth lies somewhere else. Yes, Stubbs swings and MISSES at too many pitches out of the zone.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25