Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers Interested In Rolen

Dodgers Interested In Rolen

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-s...olen-20130115/

Doing this from my phone, so not sure if the link works.

Basically it says Dodgers are talking about making an offer to Rolen, but have not made one yet.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers Interested In Rolen

Got to think for Scotty its Cincinnati or nothing.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Got to think for Scotty its Cincinnati or nothing.
    I don't know, the Dodgers appear to have enough money to legally buy a human being at this point.

I've heard it from many older athletes. If someone is willing to pay 5-10 million for a year of their services...it's hard to pass up.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I'm not sure the Reds want Rolen at this point. If he wants to play, LA is probably a better option than Cincinnati.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hope he retires.

bye

If used properly, Rolen very well could be the best bench bat on the Red team and flash in the pan insurance on Frazier to boot.

I think, if he wants to come back and play 40-50 or so games in the field against tough LH (with Frazier sliding to RF), pinch hit another 50 games, and DH 18 games or so, I'd like to see it.

(This, with the understanding that Hannahan would then be dealt for another spare part.)

Personally, I'd never want Rolen to DH, so much of his value is in his glove.

I just don't see where he fits on the club with Hanahan around.

I bet he'd make a heck of a hitting coach.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I have to think that the signing of Hanahan conveyed to Rolen that the Reds are ready to move on. Rolen has been great for the Reds and one of my favorite players to watch since he has been here. He really has been a huge part of developing this team and giving this organization a new direction...all of that said, I would love to have him on the coaching staff in some capacity or working in our minor leagues with players.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    bye
    I was going to say "be my guest," but yours is more concise.
    Stick to your guns.

He would be a good asset if you could spot him for 60-80 games against certain pitchers: problem is you don't get to pick them cause of the injuries. His back may be more than fine, but going by looks alone -he looks stiff and inflexible. When your injured as much as he is- you can't even do the kind of rehab you need to do.

I'd hate to see him go - when he hit that 2 run single in the 8th inning against the Cardinals last season to lead to the sweep I realized he still had a lot to contribute to the team. And at this point that contribution could be spot starts and/or some sort of coaching responsibility.

But I can't be selfish in this matter, if joining a team that will give him the most playing time makes him happy then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I have to think that the signing of Hanahan conveyed to Rolen that the Reds are ready to move on. Rolen has been great for the Reds and one of my favorite players to watch since he has been here. He really has been a huge part of developing this team and giving this organization a new direction...all of that said, I would love to have him on the coaching staff in some capacity or working in our minor leagues with players.
    I kind of wonder if all this talk about Rolen maybe coming back to the Reds was just a plan B in case the Reds could not sign Ludwick or find another suitable LF.
    Frasier goes to LF, Reds bring in Rolen to hopefully squeeze another year of 3b out of him.

In hindsight, it seems clear once Ludwick was resigned, Rolen coming back was not going to happen. Honestly, I don't blame Rolen for not being interested in a small dollar part time role contract.. If I had enough money to retire comfortably and my boss asked me if I wanted to come back for 10 hours/week at 25% of my salary BUT still have to do the same amount of traveling, I would say NO.
    Also, I got to figure that Rolen's lingering injuries are painful during the season. Why live through a bunch of pain when you don't really need the money?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?