Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dodgers Interested In Rolen

Re: Dodgers Interested In Rolen

I understand why most people would prefer Rolen retires or goes elsewhere but I hope the Reds would welcome him back if he decides he wants to play. I assume that those that say there's no room for Rolen are penciling Donald in as the backup SS. That's fine but if I can have Scott Rolen I tell Hannahan he's going to have to play a little SS this year and then stash Izturis in AAA in case someone is needed to play the position long term. If Donald was the backup I would want Cozart playing everyday anyways. I also think that Frasier can play almost anywhere if someone else goes down long term. Rolen playing everyday at 3B and Frazier filling in somewhere else for a few weeks or even a month is much better then Donald playing everyday. Having two guys like Todd Frazier and Jack Hannahan along with someone like Izturis in AAA makes the decision between Donald and Rolen an easy one for me.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

There are a variety of roles/ spots where Rolen fits.

He could take the spot of Xavier Paul, as Frazier can back up the same spots as Paul on days when Rolen or Hannahan are in the lineup.

He could take the roster spot of Donald, with Hannahan moving more permanently to the middle infield.

He could take the spot of Hannahan, who could then get dealt to a team with a corner IF Spring Training injury.

If you limit his time, Rolen's a valuable guy. As a sub/ PH, his OPS is well over 1.300.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I understand why most people would prefer Rolen retires or goes elsewhere but I hope the Reds would welcome him back if he decides he wants to play. I assume that those that say there's no room for Rolen are penciling Donald in as the backup SS. That's fine but if I can have Scott Rolen I tell Hannahan he's going to have to play a little SS this year and then stash Izturis in AAA in case someone is needed to play the position long term. If Donald was the backup I would want Cozart playing everyday anyways. I also think that Frasier can play almost anywhere if someone else goes down long term. Rolen playing everyday at 3B and Frazier filling in somewhere else for a few weeks or even a month is much better then Donald playing everyday. Having two guys like Todd Frazier and Jack Hannahan along with someone like Izturis in AAA makes the decision between Donald and Rolen an easy one for me.
    I agree with everything above!!!

I would love to have Rolen back in a backup role. Hopefully the Reds can get a deal done.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    There are a variety of roles/ spots where Rolen fits.

He could take the spot of Xavier Paul, as Frazier can back up the same spots as Paul on days when Rolen or Hannahan are in the lineup.

He could take the roster spot of Donald, with Hannahan moving more permanently to the middle infield.

He could take the spot of Hannahan, who could then get dealt to a team with a corner IF Spring Training injury.

If you limit his time, Rolen's a valuable guy. As a sub/ PH, his OPS is well over 1.300.
    Don't quite get replacing Xavier Paul. Paul may only be the 5th OFer, but he's a key LH pinch hit bat. Something the righthanded hitting Frazier and Rolen can't contribute.

I disagree with many posts on this thread. Should the Reds sign Rolen their bench will be imbalanced on offense and they won't adequately cover all the positions. I'd be surprised if Rolen comes back and I think the Reds have structured the team/bench assuming Rolen's departure.

The Reds are not going with Hannahan or Frazier as their primary middle infield backup. Both are primarily third basemen and neither is a middle infielder.

If Rolen were to come back, the Reds would have three third basemen and I don't see that happening.

It's easy to express a preference for Rolen over Donald. But the reality is that either Donald, Izturis, maybe Burriss, or another middle infielder will be on the bench. The idea of Rolen taking this roster spot doesn't work because the team will want a backup middle infielder.

I also doubt the Reds want to replace the lefty hitting Paul, fifth outfielder, with another third baseman. Paul provides positional balance and lefty/righty balance on the bench.

We all have great memories of Rolen and when healthy he sometimes still plays well, but with the acquisition of Hannahan, with Frazier at third, I don't see room for Rolen on a five man bench.

Now, if the Reds were to trade Frazier, I could see Rolen as a platoon partner for Hannahan at third. That would be a logical spot. But it isn't happening.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-23-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I disagree with many posts on this thread. Should the Reds sign Rolen their bench will be imbalanced on offense and they won't adequately cover all the positions. I'd be surprised if Rolen comes back and I think the Reds have structured the team/bench assuming Rolen's departure.

The Reds are not going with Hannahan or Frazier as their primary middle infield backup. Both are primarily third basemen and neither is a middle infielder.

If Rolen were to come back, the Reds would have three third basemen and I don't see that happening.

It's easy to express a preference for Rolen over Donald. But the reality is that either Donald, Izturis, maybe Burriss, or another middle infielder will be on the bench. The idea of Rolen taking this roster spot doesn't work because the team will want a backup middle infielder.

I also doubt the Reds want to replace the lefty hitting Paul, fifth outfielder, with another third baseman. Paul provides positional balance and lefty/righty balance on the bench.

We all have great memories of Rolen and when healthy he sometimes still plays well, but with the acquisition of Hannahan, with Frazier at third, I don't see room for Rolen on a five man bench.

Now, if the Reds were to trade Frazier, I could see Rolen as a platoon partner for Hannahan at third. That would be a logical spot. But it isn't happening.
    A lot of different things could happen that would make having Rolen more then worth while. It's very possible that a couple of those guys you mentioned could be in Louisville just a phone call away.

My favorite and probably most unlikely scenario is that Billy Hamilton makes the team. He could serve as the teams fourth outfielder as well as backup SS.

Either way, if you exclude Donald, Izturis and Burriss from the team all you're really doing is putting a roster out there that's lacking a true backup SS that has the glove to play there every day. Cozart is the everyday SS so I don't see a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    A lot of different things could happen that would make having Rolen more then worth while. It's very possible that a couple of those guys you mentioned could be in Louisville just a phone call away.

My favorite and probably most unlikely scenario is that Billy Hamilton makes the team. He could serve as the teams fourth outfielder as well as backup SS.

Either way, if you exclude Donald, Izturis and Burriss from the team all you're really doing is putting a roster out there that's lacking a true backup SS that has the glove to play there every day. Cozart is the everyday SS so I don't see a problem with that.
    I think the Reds will have a problem with it.

The Reds have always had a backup middle infielder. Cozart is not a machine. He needs rest. He might need to come out of a game early. He may miss a couple games with a minor injury. It's a long season.

The bench should cover all positions. The idea that the Reds will reach down to AAA every time they need a shortstop other than Cozart is, in my view, unrealistic. And a backup middle infielder also protects Phillips.

I don't see a lot of things happening to open a spot for Rolen. Maybe an injury, sure. Or a trade, sure. But I think the strong likelihood is that Scott won't be with the club this year.

In addition, I don't see the Reds and Rolen agreeing on compensation for what would be a limited role.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-23-2013 at 10:31 PM.

I can see Rolen pulling a Petite and just getting ready for the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I can see Rolen pulling a Petite and just getting ready for the 2nd half.
    Strikes me as a very good thought.

Assuming Scott is willing to work for a relatively small salary. Don't see the Reds paying him too much.

But very good idea for Rolen to be a second half arrival.

It makes sense to spot Rolen -and if you could -it would bring out his strengths -but with a player his age and with his injury issues - you can't depend on him to be there when needed. It's one more thing a manager has to deal with and often managers want some predictability when dealing with the bench.

I've been lamenting the Reds struggles against RHP since Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr left town, but if Scott Rolen wants to play, the Reds are a better team with him on the roster and Xavier Paul on the outside looking in IMO.

IMO, Todd Frazier is a better corner OF than he is a 3B, so the OF won't be short without Paul (in fact, I still think Corner OF, or maybe super sub, is Frazier's long term position and his stint at 3B is a temp job until Vidal, Mattair, Brean, Rahier, H-Rod or some one else takes the job). Hannahan provides the lefty bat that Paul was providing and the addition of Choo, along with Ludwick's ability to hit against RHP, makes having a LH Bat in the OF much less a need. If Bruce or Ludwick hit the DL, I'd rather have Frazier in a corner and a Rolen/Hannahan platoon at 3B than I would having Paul or Heisey in a corner OF spot every day.

Liberal use of the DL will allow the Reds to keep them all around. I hope Rolen plays.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-24-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I could see Scotty getting and staying in game shape in case of an injury to either Frazier or Hannahan. He could go to Louisville for a few weeks and get his stroke warmed up and then come up.

He might simply be insurance against injury as the season goes on. Not a bad situation.

And if he had to come up in July or August, he wouldn't be worn down.

I still think Corner OF, or maybe super sub, is Frazier's long term position and his stint at 3B is a temp job until Vidal, Mattair, Brean, Rahier, H-Rod or some one else takes the job)
    Long-term temp? None of those guys is close. It remains to be seen how well Frazier can settle in at 3rd. Let's give him a chance. If he can maintain that solid offensive performance, and be average at 3rd, he's the long-term solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've been lamenting the Reds struggles against RHP since Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr left town, but if Scott Rolen wants to play, the Reds are a better team with him on the roster and Xavier Paul on the outside looking in IMO.

IMO, Todd Frazier is a better corner OF than he is a 3B, so the OF won't be short without Paul (in fact, I still think Corner OF, or maybe super sub, is Frazier's long term position and his stint at 3B is a temp job until Vidal, Mattair, Brean, Rahier, H-Rod or some one else takes the job). Hannahan provides the lefty bat that Paul was providing and the addition of Choo, along with Ludwick's ability to hit against RHP, makes having a LH Bat in the OF much less a need. If Bruce or Ludwick hit the DL, I'd rather have Frazier in a corner and a Rolen/Hannahan platoon at 3B than I would having Paul or Heisey in a corner OF spot every day.

Liberal use of the DL will allow the Reds to keep them all around. I hope Rolen plays.
    The Reds have Frazier slated for third base for 2013 and I think he deserves the opportunity to play it steadily and sink or swim. I wouldn't move him around the diamond except in emergencies. He'll never be any good defensively if he is constantly moved around.

Yes, the team can spend this season moving guys up and down to Louisville, and moving positions around, and very aggressively and actively changing the 25 man roster using the DL, and options, etc. If I were GM, I wouldn't.

I would go with Paul, Hannahan, Mesoraco, Heisey and one middle infielder as my bench. It is balanced, it covers the positions.

At some point the training wheels need to come off. Guys like Frazier for once and for all need a steady role. I wouldn't keep disrupting the roster and players' positions to make room for Rolen at this point.

Some folks want Hannahan and Frazier to be the backups for middle infield. Some want Todd in the outfield part time. Some want Paul off the roster. All to accomodate Rolen. At this stage, I wouldn't do it.

However, if Scott wants to work out and eventually play a few games of rehab and then fill a hole on the ballclub in the second half, when there will undoubtedly be some injury, that's worth doing.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-24-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Turn Off Ads?