Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers Interested In Rolen

Re: Dodgers Interested In Rolen

I wish Scott Rolen the best. He will always be remembered, no matter what happens going forward, as a key linch pin in the Reds turnaround as an organization focused, committed to, and devoted to winning.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I wish Scott Rolen the best. He will always be remembered, no matter what happens going forward, as a key linch pin in the Reds turnaround as an organization focused, committed to, and devoted to winning.
    this!!!!

i think he retires or plays here. no need to go to LA at this point of his career no matter the money. he has made plenty.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don't know, the Dodgers appear to have enough money to legally buy a human being at this point.
    And this is what comes from having too much money and trying to have a "star" at every position.

The Dodgers have a 28 year old Mexican born 3rd baseman who has been given up on by several organizations but came in mid season last year and put up a 297/322/421 in dodger stadium which is exactly in line with what his minor league results say he should be able to do.

Ok, this isn't a star, but it's a useful player and by the standards of major league base salaries, he's free and latin born players can become minor cult figures in south California.

What do you do with a 28 year old player like that? Replace him with a 38 year old Scott Rolen who over the last two years can't stay in the lineup for more than 100 game, can't hit 250 and can't slug over 400....at GAB? Yeah, what do you think Rolen's line is going to look like when he gets to hit in the National league west? How dysfunctional would an organization have to be to think that's a good strategy? Sure you don't hand Luis Cruz the starting job and guarentee him 600 at bats....but....

I guess next to Skip Schumaker, Mark Ellis and Jerry Hairston, Rolen will look healthy and ...what the hey....they are still paying Juan Uribe 8 million next year. Wow. Nick Punto is probably the best option after Cruz....Who goes out of their way to collect players like this?

Meaning no disrespect to Rolen, but his value to the Reds is his value in the clubhouse. Anyone else that would offer him money or playing time indicates a GM who isn't paying attention.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Scotty's bat has declined enough as it is. Take him from GABP and put him in Dodger Stadium AND the NL West in general... things could get real ugly, real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Scotty's bat has declined enough as it is. Take him from GABP and put him in Dodger Stadium AND the NL West in general... things could get real ugly, real quick.
    He'd be getting his money either way though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Geez. I have all the respect in the world for Scotty and appreciate his leadership during the Reds turnaround to being a very good team.

But it has to be said.............it sure seems like he's taken a very long time to make a decision about playing next season.............and did he really expect the Reds to wait on him?

I was hoping he'd retire and be offered a job in the organization.

Personally, if I were him, I'd take a year off to be with my family, and then maybe take a position in the Reds organization, possibly managing in the farm system and working his way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    But it has to be said.............it sure seems like he's taken a very long time to make a decision about playing next season.............and did he really expect the Reds to wait on him?
    I think retirement is a tough decision at any age. It's a huge life change -- baseball is all he's ever known, I would imagine. Obviously, he's set financially, but no amount of money can buy happiness, and sometimes more family time can't either. I think that's something that the Freel situation should remind us. Not that Rolen is in any danger of harming himself, obviously, but just that retiring ballplayers have a tough transition to make, especially when they are looking at restarting their lives around the age of 40.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I wish the front office would offer him a coaching position. He is the best defensive instructor I have ever seen. He's still very worthy of a paycheck.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    He is the best defensive instructor I have ever seen.
    When have you seen him instructing? Spring Training?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The article mentions the Dodgers are looking at depth signings and that the plan for spring training is for Cruz to be the starting third baseman. If he doesn't retire, he's as likely to be a backup in LA as much as in Cincinnati. I will qualify that by mentioning the article also says Rolen could get significant playing time in LA.

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/293770983330947073
    Quote Originally Posted by ‏@jayson
    Scott Rolen still hasn't made a final decision but has told people that if he plays, his 1st choice is to return to #Reds

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I just saw that and it kind of made me mad. Not sure why.

I guess it bothers me because I like Scott, but I don't see a roster spot for him, and I think it's his own fault. Plus, the Reds are already crying about the huge increase in payroll from arbitration/settlings and they don't have any money to pay him after signing Hannahan.

If he retires, then no harm done. If he really wants to return, I see a big uncomfortable mess that really falls on Scott's shoulders.

And I like Scott. Ugh.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think people here are too worried about the payroll. The team only spends the money that they CAN spend. The more important question is WHO they spend money on, not how much. If the Reds decide they do want to bring Rolen back, the money allocated to Hannahan or Ondrusek isn't going to stop that move. And the roster slot will go to the best option.

I'm pretty sure that Rolen and Jocketty know a lot more about this than is being told to the public. I am pretty sure they both know his decision now.

I guess my point is.. This isn't like LeBron's "The Decision"

Scott might be wanting to see how his back feels in March before making a decsion too. Or maybe both he and Walt want him to hang out in spring training.

Anyhow, I stopped worrying about this as soon as Hanhan was signed.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This reminds me of Roger Clemens' annual retirement dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?