Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Manti Te'o didn't really have a dead girlfriend

Re: Manti Te'o didn't really have a dead girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Maybe it's a topic for another thread, but I guess I have no idea what you mean by "virtual world generation." Bunch of kids on facebook? Bunch of kids playing Sims?
    From 20 somethings on down, between TV, video gaming, computing, internetting, smart phones, and other various electronic devices, there is a clear dynamic of struggling with reality vs. fantasy with that generation. As the father of 8 kids in that age range and a long time worker with youth as a result, I have a lot of contact with the generation. This is a clear example of the dynamic, and it will continue. You can now be diagnosed as addicted to device(s) by a social worker.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    From 20 somethings on down, between TV, video gaming, computing, internetting, smart phones, and other various electronic devices, there is a clear dynamic of struggling with reality vs. fantasy with that generation. As the father of 8 kids in that age range and a long time worker with youth as a result, I have a lot of contact with the generation. This is a clear example of the dynamic, and it will continue. You can now be diagnosed as addicted to device(s) by a social worker.
    I guess I see no difference between 20 somethings (and down) spending hours playing a game and 40 somethings spending hours watching Homeland, Dexter, and whatever else the show du semaine might be. Likewise, I see younger kids on facebook and maybe twitter, while those a little older might spend their time on a message board like this. More often, the lines are blurred. Plenty of 20+ types playing video games, computing, internetting, and smart phoning. I don't see a "virtual generation;" I just see a world that's changing.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Just curious, why do you think ESPN sat on the story for ten days?
    I don't know buddy. Honestly, I did not even realize that ESPN knew and sat on.

ESPN is a joke now though. They gave up being a true sports network a long time ago, IMO.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Tying this back to the original topic, the so called "virtual generation" is so much more technologically sophisticated than the rest of us that they find it implausible that Te'o could have fallen for a hoax like this. I've seen a ton of people point out how implausible it is that he'd maintain a long distance relationship without regular interaction on a service like Skype. I'd argue that younger folks have a much easier time sifting through much of the b.s. on the internet. They're more masters of the internet than victims of the internet.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 01-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

According to the AP Te'o will give a limited confession that his imaginary girlfriend used imaginary PEDs before her imaginary death of imaginary cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Sadly, this is still a better love story than Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Sadly, this is still a better love story than Twilight.
    If only Twilight could have ended with Kristen Stewart not existing.

I guess I see no difference between 20 somethings (and down) spending hours playing a game and 40 somethings spending hours watching Homeland, Dexter, and whatever else the show du semaine might be. Likewise, I see younger kids on facebook and maybe twitter, while those a little older might spend their time on a message board like this. More often, the lines are blurred. Plenty of 20+ types playing video games, computing, internetting, and smart phoning. I don't see a "virtual generation;" I just see a world that's changing.
    Appreciate your input. We are both using anecdotal evidence for a hypothesis, just one man's opinion, mine based on raising from the cradle through the 20s and working in youth programs at church. Maybe I'm off base, but that's my working hypothesis.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

This will have an impact on his draft spot, but not nearly as great as his measurables during the next 3 months at combines/pro days.

Where this will impact him is at the endorsment table. As a well polished, decent looking 4the year star from Notre Dame with a potential 1st round draft grade, he was set to bring in a decent amount of coin in various endorsement deals. I've got to imagine those offers are drying up fairly quickly, who's going to want Teo pimping their product on to a national audience.

Honestly, is this really THAT big of a deal? So, he made up a girlfriend, WHOOP DE DOO! Is that really a reason to throw him down the gutter? Did he commit a cardinal sin? Was anyone really negatively affected by this, and if so, why? I can't believe people will think adversely of him just because of this, even if it comes out that he knew all along. There's nothing illegal that he's done. Odd, yes, but, not a huge deal.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Honestly, is this really THAT big of a deal?
    Yes.

I doubt you'd find many willing to argue that its a cardinal sin (though many on this board would automatically say that anything cardinal is indeed a sin ), however its grabbing a ton of attention because its so bizarre. Star athlete making up a girlfriend, then saying that she died of lukiema and claiming it as motivation (or perhaps allowing others to cite it as motivation) to get thru a perfect season and a heisman trophy finalist.

I'm not sure that anything in sports equates to this. Sure Pete, Lance, and many others have lied, but their lies all were to avoid accusations and/or staying involved w/n their sport. There was no tangible benefit to this story other than the additional attention at gained for Teo.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I doubt you'd find many willing to argue that its a cardinal sin (though many on this board would automatically say that anything cardinal is indeed a sin ), however its grabbing a ton of attention because its so bizarre. Star athlete making up a girlfriend, then saying that she died of lukiema and claiming it as motivation (or perhaps allowing others to cite it as motivation) to get thru a perfect season and a heisman trophy finalist.
    See, without knowing the actual motivations (which we probably never will), how can anyone assume what it's motivation was. The media got caught with their pants down, and now they are trying to say he's the one that pulled them down. He wasn't, even if he knew all along.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Honestly, is this really THAT big of a deal? So, he made up a girlfriend, WHOOP DE DOO! Is that really a reason to throw him down the gutter? Did he commit a cardinal sin? Was anyone really negatively affected by this, and if so, why? I can't believe people will think adversely of him just because of this, even if it comes out that he knew all along. There's nothing illegal that he's done. Odd, yes, but, not a huge deal.
    Is he now saying that someone threw him down a gutter? In real life?

I don't think anybody thinks he should actually be thrown down a gutter but an imaginary gutter? Seems fitting (if telling a few jokes constitutes throwing him down a gutter).

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    He made up a girlfriend and a tragic backstory and emotionally manipulated the whole country, all for personal gain.

Speaks volumes about him.

Turn Off Ads?