Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

It boggles my mind that i wasn't part of the RZ 10..
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So it has 23 users on it? Sounds like a hoot.
    Bank on it

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It boggles my mind that i wasn't part of the RZ 10..
    Officially speaking, I think there was upwards of 300 members of the RZ 10.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So it has 23 users on it? Sounds like a hoot.
    Here you go
    http://lastperson.suncircle.org/

Another thing that is being overlooked in my opinion, is the whole saber aspect of it all. These enlightening posts you talk about were happening, but we were also in the saber enlightenment era at the time as well. While there are still plenty of new things that are coming out, it isn't like it once was. Dips theories aren't coming out left and right these days. We, as a saber community, were taking giant leaps back then. Today, we are taking smaller and smaller steps as there is less "unknown" out there to truly "blow out of the water with new thinkings".
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. I can remember when I first started to post the topics about Adam Dunn and sabermetrics were pretty heated. It was when the the numbers first started to come out and it was almost like a battle line was drawn between the enlightened folk and the traditionalists. It has died down considerably in regards to those debates. I don't know if it is just that the new age saber stats have become a little more excepted of a balance has been met. Or could it be that the departure of Adam Dunn calmed the seas.

I don't really care for a rep button. I don't think it really serves for anything other than patting others on the back. I am all for increasing the conversation, I don't think giving someone "rep" points does that. Personally I have grown to take most of the stuff on the board with a grain of salt. There were posters that at times I didn't care for who now I really admire.

As for the two forums merging that sounds ok with me. I do agree with a waiting period and maybe even having a spot to block a poster from joining the ORG because of personal attacks, baiting, or everything we on RZ don't like. I am all for anything that will increase the amount of quality baseball talk. I think the more the merrier, as long as you can keep the misfits out.

Great post on the topic from the Sun Deck: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=31

I think the biggest reason that some people left is because the site has become less useful in recent years, ever since it became against the rules to post content from other sites. I know I used to come here to get links to all the articles written about the Reds anywhere on the Internet, but now only the occasional article is posted and discussed here. Redszone used to be a clearinghouse or smorgasbord of Reds information, but not so much anymore.

I think the site needs more original content and special features rather than subsisting entirely on people posting their opinions. Opinions are great, but we need some real meat too.

Perhaps a newsletter that highlights some particularly good posts would help generate more interest amongst the membership. Maybe some specially commissioned articles could be presented. Maybe some Reds personnel could be contacted to participate in a "live discussion thread" once in awhile.

Any other ideas to jazz up the site and generate more interest and discussion?
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 01-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.

9. Likes:

cincyinco (01-31-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You can still post as many links as you want. Just don't post an entire article anymore, which is what used to happen.

You can still post as many links as you want. Just don't post an entire article anymore, which is what used to happen.
    It wasn't just this site that stopped allowing full articles to be posted; that was, at least at the time, pretty widespread across major internet forums to protect against any potential legal liability. Nearly everyone GIK and I talked to before implementing the policy recommended doing so.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Originally posted by M2
    The window should be wide open for bizarre, daft and brilliant posts in a way it never was when the board partially had to serve as a coping mechanism for how terrible the Reds were.
    Don't they say that misery loves company? Just to play devil's advocate here, I wonder if what's going on these days in RZ isn't the opposite of what you are suggesting. I know I originally came to the board in the fallow years when I felt like there weren't other Reds fans out there -- when I couldn't find anyone who wanted to talk Reds because 1) there just weren't as many other Reds fans 2) my Reds fan friends and I didn't really have anything to talk about and 3) I didn't feel so good about the team. Since 2010, I think my posts have dwindled because, well, I'm actually enjoying watching the team and cheering rather than posting about why Adam Dunn is a better player than everyone thinks or why Lindner should clear the decks for an Erik Bedard trade.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I may be the only one, but I look forward to threads like this.

15. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (01-31-2013)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I may be the only one, but I look forward to threads like this.
    It is FUNNY...I laughed a lot...at 6:45 in the morning!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I liked the Rep system, but then again I'm a world wide idol of millions.
    I gotta say. You always make me laugh.

Enjoyed the stretch where you referred to yourself in third person. Good stuff.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I just read the entire thread.

Since joining the ORG, I've learned that I am a "traditionalist" and not so much caring about the new stats. As Brutus pointed out, that has created two groups. I think the new statheads kind of dominate now. I've also seen tension created by this, paired with insults.

I've had to learn to change my tone and work on backing off, simply because it's hard to be insulted and not be able to retaliate. But I think people need to learn to agree to disagree and respect differing opinions.

I do enjoy posters who can bring the humor and even make fun of someone lightheartedly.

I'm looking forward to the merge because there are some posters in Sun Deck who I enjoyed hanging with when I was there, namely TexasDave. Never understood why Dave didn't try and move up. Quality poster.

I think Kal Daniels pointed it out the other day when he mentioned the Sun Deck thread talking about what would happen if the entire Reds team died in a plane crash. I laughed at first, but then read that thread and actually learned something. But often there are other threads that seem silly. I'm sure I've been guilty of it as I've worked on better posting.

As for the rep points, I like the idea presented by whoever brought it up, to give points to a post, not a poster. This would help others, like me, to see what a quality post is. It would hopefully help improve posting by teaching those who don't do a good job, of what a good post is.

Again, I'm looking forward to the merge simply to spice things up. Spring Training is almost upon us. Time to unite as Reds fans.

Turn Off Ads?