Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 268

Thread: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

  1. #241
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,643

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    I don't know if this is the place for it or if I should just call it out in the threads where I see it but it seems to me that the quality of discourse in the old red guard has plummeted and it's not new imports that are responsible but some of our older and more well known posters that are ....just getting into p***ing matches with each other.

    Tell me I'm wrong folks. Am I just seeing old behavior in a new light?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #242
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I don't know if this is the place for it or if I should just call it out in the threads where I see it but it seems to me that the quality of discourse in the old red guard has plummeted and it's not new imports that are responsible but some of our older and more well known posters that are ....just getting into p***ing matches with each other.

    Tell me I'm wrong folks. Am I just seeing old behavior in a new light?
    Can you give an example of a thread?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #243
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,643

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    The discussion of pitch counts in the Prior thread was what got me going.

    In retrospect, I think I was just having a bad morning and took it out on RedsZone.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  5. #244
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,171

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Reactionary posts, in general, are pointless exercises in flailing. Have a higher standard for yourself.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  6. #245
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,171

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Reactionary posts, in general, are pointless exercises in flailing. Have a higher standard for yourself.
    Quoted for truth. Stop the nonsense.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  7. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (05-22-2013)

  8. #246
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,453

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    What is getting annoying to me is all the posts which are simply criticizing the quality of other specific posts, a poster, or a thread. Instead of helping they just draw the discussion off topic and often lead to sniping and attacking.


    I realize this is a post criticizing other posts for criticizing other posts but is being done in a general way in an different thread.

  9. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (05-23-2013), BluegrassRedleg (05-27-2013), HeatherC1212 (05-22-2013), reds44 (05-22-2013), redsfandan (05-22-2013), redsrolen (05-22-2013), texasdave (05-22-2013)

  10. #247
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    195

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    What is getting annoying to me is all the posts which are simply criticizing the quality of other specific posts, a poster, or a thread. Instead of helping they just draw the discussion off topic and often lead to sniping and attacking.


    I realize this is a post criticizing other posts for criticizing other posts but is being done in a general way in an different thread.
    Yes - honestly. I never had access to the ORG, heck never even really posted in Redzone...but the thread about "is Jay bruce top 10 when he is hot" is really turning me away from this board.

    I get why the question was asked, but the responses...sigh...please disallow my access and any newcomers and bring back the intelligent baseball threads. This is feeling like an ESPN board.

    I used to come here to learn...
    Hey Homer! If you can put it together, you'll put the Reds over the top....think about it.

  11. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (05-22-2013), mbgrayson (05-22-2013), redsrolen (05-22-2013)

  12. #248
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    I'm not really into censorship, but could it possibly help if we institute some sort of limit on starting threads based on post count or join date or something? I'm sure many here are referring to the numerous threads started by RedTruck. I don't know this guy at all. He (or she) may be a fantastic poster and a very smart person. But IIRC it was Puffy who correctly pointed out that all 4 of those threads were started by him/her and then abandoned. No follow up posts at all.

    My point is that every thread will have some posts that are silly, extraneous, out of place, etc...but I think the main complaint of late is the numerous threads started that are either redundant or simply absurd. Any suggestions on how to control who can or can't start a thread? IIRC there was a time limit after joining before you could start one, right? Something along those lines? And just to be clear, I'm not trying to single out RedTruck, we've had numerous threads started on the same subjects and some that were beyond silly.

    And I also like the merger. Things were most definitely on the "dry" side in the ORG before it. And some of the posters have really brought some lively discussion to the board. Just trying to get us thinking of some constructive solutions to the current issues is all.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  13. #249
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    My point is that every thread will have some posts that are silly, extraneous, out of place, etc...but I think the main complaint of late is the numerous threads started that are either redundant or simply absurd. Any suggestions on how to control who can or can't start a thread?
    Here's an idea; if you don't care to join the discussion of a particular thread topic, don't open it. That's my philosophy and it seems to work just fine. The number of years someone has been here or the number of posts they have, doesn't make them a better poster or better Reds fan. Go Reds!

    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  14. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    Yes - honestly. I never had access to the ORG, heck never even really posted in Redzone...but the thread about "is Jay bruce top 10 when he is hot" is really turning me away from this board.

    I get why the question was asked, but the responses...sigh...please disallow my access and any newcomers and bring back the intelligent baseball threads. This is feeling like an ESPN board.

    I used to come here to learn...
    I couldn't disagree more. If you're really coming here to "learn", then you must be really young or new to the game -- which either way is fine. But I think this is a site full (mostly) of lifelong diehard baseball fans. Seriously, what more is there to learn about the game at this point? I'm not here to teach anyone anything. I'm here to talk Reds baseball with fellow Reds fans, just as I would if I was sitting at the park.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  15. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (05-23-2013), Sea Ray (05-23-2013)

  16. #251
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Here's an idea; if you don't care to join the discussion of a particular thread topic, don't open it. That's my philosophy and it seems to work just fine. The number of years someone has been here or the number of posts they have, doesn't make them a better poster or better Reds fan. Go Reds!

    Some of those threads, I haven't opened. Do you think RedTruck shouldn't be spoken to? Those 4 or 5 threads optimize the very definition of "trolling". Why ask the question if you don't care about the answer or clarifying your question or responding to the answers?

    And no, a time limit doesn't make someone a better anything...but it does give them time to become accustomed to the level of quality here and what is or isn't really appropriate. Not every board is the same. If we don't even try to control things..."control" isn't the right word, but I think you'll get my point....then the overall quality of the board and discussion here will go down and we'll become "just" another board. The ESPN boards get threads like that all the time and some really annoying posts/trolls/horrific comments/etc...and I simply can't stomach going near them anymore. Turning a blind eye to the situation isn't addressing the situation. So the "if you don't like it, don't look at it" argument really isn't helping IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  17. #252
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Some of those threads, I haven't opened. Do you think RedTruck shouldn't be spoken to?
    I've stopped opening that poster's threads.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  18. #253
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    I am glad we got some fresh blood in the ORG. We needed it badly. Most of the new posters are good. We got some losers too, but I believe they will learn the ropes and improve their game as time goes by.

  19. Likes:

    757690 (05-22-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (05-22-2013)

  20. #254
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. If you're really coming here to "learn", then you must be really young or new to the game -- which either way is fine. But I think this is a site full (mostly) of lifelong diehard baseball fans. Seriously, what more is there to learn about the game at this point? I'm not here to teach anyone anything. I'm here to talk Reds baseball with fellow Reds fans, just as I would if I was sitting at the park.
    This is not true. Before I came to redszone I had very little knowledge of sabre-stats. Posters here at Redszone also were the ones who pointed me in the right direction for good baseball sites like fangraphs and specifically alot of minor league sites.

    You said, " Seriously, what more is there to learn about the game at this point?", and i don't know how to respond to that any other way than I learn something new about a team, player, manager, city, stadium, or in game situation every time i watch a baseball game.

    There is no other sport with as many fascinating facets as baseball, and that is why we love it so much and have such a desire to discuss it.

  21. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (05-23-2013), cincyinco (05-24-2013)

  22. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    You said, "Seriously, what more is there to learn about the game at this point?", and i don't know how to respond to that any other way than I learn something new about a team, player, manager, city, stadium, or in game situation every time i watch a baseball game.
    That's not what I meant. A quick Google search will lead you to many great sabremetric sites. I check some of them daily, though I try to avoid any sabre-discussion on ORG. It's just not my cup of tea. I love the stats, just not the discussions of them. I didn't mean to patronize anyone with the "what more is there to learn" question.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25