Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 268

Thread: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

  1. #151
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,298

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    One problem this and likely every board has is mob mentality. It is almost like you cannot have an opposing viewpoint. And once the "mob" smells blood, the posts then start sliding in quality. A lot of them become simple zingers at the other side. How many times do we have to read about Zach Stewart and multiple Cy Young awards. Yes, doug said he had the potential to win one, but the denigration of his (and to an extent mine) viewpoint added nothing to the argument. Every post from M2 was well thought out, well reasoned. WOY talking about essentially chemistry and an overall change in philosophy was well reasoned and on point. (talking about the Zach Stewart DFA thread) But we also got 4-5 Cy Young jabs in the first couple of pages and a few sprinkled in after, that offered nothing to the conversation, brought the tone to one where one side feels attacked. That side in opposition relented on certain aspects, but the attacks continued.

    So, it makes on feel like he/she cannot bring up an idea that doesn't work in the "mob mind". Good lord what will this place be like when Billy Hamilton arrives? What is the over/under on "CF bats first dude" posts. I put it at 75 the first month.

    It isn't like this all the time. But when it does get like this, it's like a train.. gains steam and is hard to stop. And you can bet that is a big reason we lost some posters.
    I think the issue with that, and why the Zach Cy Young joke is as long lived as it has been, is that Doug didn't say potential. He either guaranteed, or said to bet on it, or some other really, really confident statement.

    Is the joke kind of old? Maybe. But if Zach did go on to win a Cy Young in Toronto, I am sure that Doug would've been heralded as this board's Joe Willie.

    But the mob mentality is a definite issue at times. No doubt.

  2. Likes:

    MikeThierry (01-31-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #152
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Unfortunately, it does not appear the above request is possible. Provided GIK is also OK with it, if there's ample people that would like this removed (for the second time; I did not recall we had it once before), I am not opposed to that.
    I don't remember us having the like section before but what it visually reminds me of is when we could tag terms to the posts,(to make for search organization).

  5. Likes:

    MikeThierry (01-31-2013)

  6. #153
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,660

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think the issue with that, and why the Zach Cy Young joke is as long lived as it has been, is that Doug didn't say potential. He either guaranteed, or said to bet on it, or some other really, really confident statement.

    Is the joke kind of old? Maybe. But if Zach did go on to win a Cy Young in Toronto, I am sure that Doug would've been heralded as this board's Joe Willie.

    But the mob mentality is a definite issue at times. No doubt.
    that's one example. princeton once called Mesoraco thumbs because of an injury he sustained in Dayton I believe. He wasn't enamored of the kid. After that instead of attacking his arguments at the time of discussion, whatever the discussion was, all anyone got was shots at princeton and "thumbs" When a thread gets dumbed down like that, it can make reading or responding hard.. mob rules.

    I didn't agree with princeton then, and I, doug and a few others posted our arguments without denigrating princeton. Keep in mind, I once had princeton on my ignore list. My opinion was he was a jackass. But in all that, he rarely attacked other posters. He mostly just came off pompous. But he was a knowledgeable poster, and one that wrote well. I miss his writings, like i missed M2, RedStorm and others. I'm glad M2 is back, especially since i am too. woy has always been a great read, and never attacks another poster, always his argument.

    Because that is what discussion is.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  7. Likes:

    Brisco (01-31-2013), MikeThierry (01-31-2013), Revering4Blue (01-31-2013)

  8. #154
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I don't remember us having the like section before but what it visually reminds me of is when we could tag terms to the posts,(to make for search organization).
    Unless I'm missing something, you should still be able to do that. If you can't, it's nothing we've intentionally disabled.

  9. #155
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,699

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    One problem this, and likely every board has, is mob mentality. It is almost like you cannot have an opposing viewpoint. And once the "mob" smells blood, the posts then start sliding in quality. A lot of them become simple zingers at the other side. How many times do we have to read about Zach Stewart and multiple Cy Young awards. Yes, doug said he had the potential to win one, but the denigration of his (and to an extent mine) viewpoint added nothing to the argument. Every post from M2 was well thought out, well reasoned. WOY talking about essentially chemistry and an overall change in philosophy was well reasoned and on point. (talking about the Zach Stewart DFA thread) But we also got 4-5 Cy Young jabs in the first couple of pages and a few sprinkled in after, that offered nothing to the conversation, brought the tone to one where one side feels attacked. That side in opposition relented on certain aspects, but the attacks continued.

    So, it makes on feel like he/she cannot bring up an idea that doesn't work in the "mob mind". Good lord what will this place be like when Billy Hamilton arrives? What is the over/under on "CF bats first dude" posts. I put it at 75 the first month.

    It isn't like this all the time. But when it does get like this, it's like a train.. gains steam and is hard to stop. And you can bet that is a big reason we lost some posters.
    Sometimes you just have to let things roll off your shoulders. I'm no stranger to having opposing viewpoints here and I have experienced this trend. It's just the nature of the beast on all forums I have seen.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  10. #156
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,515

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, you should still be able to do that. If you can't, it's nothing we've intentionally disabled.
    If memory serves me right, it was disabled because of posters tagging threads inappropriately with tags like "yet another willy taveras thread," "base cloggers," "CF bats first dude," "dustyball," and so on. I remember this pretty distinctly as having happened back when I was called up to the ORG in the early parts of 2009. Some threads would have ~50 tags, and almost every thread would degenerate into witty tagging instead of discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  11. #157
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    If memory serves me right, it was disabled because of posters tagging threads inappropriately with tags like "yet another willy taveras thread," "base cloggers," "CF bats first dude," "dustyball," and so on. I remember this pretty distinctly as having happened back when I was called up to the ORG in the early parts of 2009. Some threads would have ~50 tags, and almost every thread would degenerate into witty tagging instead of discussion.
    Yes; you just jogged my memory.

  12. #158
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Yes; you just jogged my memory.
    I just checked the permissions, and I don't see anything that would prevent users from tagging threads.

  13. #159
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    The tags are working fine for me.

  14. #160
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    The changes mentioned in the initial post in this thread are now complete. You may now post in the Sun Deck, although you may not start new threads or respond to any threads in the Sun Deck Game Threads sub-forum. We decided that's not the best suited place for mentoring new members.

    Please join me in welcoming former Sun Deck members that met the basic criteria of 50 or more posts and at least 45 days of registration time.

    With all the changes that I just made, I'd be shocked if I didn't overlook or mess up something, so please reply here if you notice something out of the ordinary or inconsistent with what was mentioned in the initial post.

  15. Likes:

    camisadelgolf (01-31-2013), Caveman Techie (02-01-2013)

  16. #161
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Welcome, Sun Deck folks! I'm really looking forward to seeing some of you post.

  17. Likes:

    Boss-Hog (01-31-2013), Brisco (01-31-2013), Caveman Techie (02-01-2013), MikeThierry (01-31-2013), Plus Plus (02-01-2013), Revering4Blue (01-31-2013)

  18. #162
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,578

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Is this the Redszone version of the Berlin Wall coming down?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  19. Likes:

    Boss-Hog (01-31-2013), camisadelgolf (01-31-2013), Caveman Techie (02-01-2013), MikeThierry (01-31-2013), Revering4Blue (01-31-2013), Vottomatic (01-31-2013)

  20. #163
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,699

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Is this the Redszone version of the Berlin Wall coming down?
    Mr. Boss-hog, open this gate. Mr. Boss-hog, Mr. Boss-hog, tear down this wall!
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  21. #164
    Member Tuff Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NW, Tn.
    Posts
    316

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    In response to the LIKES....on another forum I frequent, we had the "like" feature, and the individual likes, were in smaller print, at the bottom of the liked posts post box, under the Like icon. Not in a separate post. It only listed a few, then say "and others".... I don't know what software or anything like that, just another suggestion, perhaps.

  22. #165
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    In response to the LIKES....on another forum I frequent, we had the "like" feature, and the individual likes, were in smaller print, at the bottom of the liked posts post box, under the Like icon. Not in a separate post. It only listed a few, then say "and others".... I don't know what software or anything like that, just another suggestion, perhaps.
    I'd much prefer that option if it's available. Would you mind PMing me the link or posting it here?


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25