Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

High five!

Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Seriously, what more is there to learn about the game at this point?
    Lots.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-23-2013),cincyinco (05-24-2013),dubc47834 (06-02-2013),George Anderson (05-22-2013),marcshoe (05-23-2013),NebraskaRed (05-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (05-23-2013),Plus Plus (05-22-2013),RedEye (08-01-2013),reds44 (05-23-2013),Tom Servo (05-22-2013),westofyou (05-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

What's to learn about the game??

Baseball isn't just stats, it's people, buildings, equipment, rules... it's history.

What's to learn about the game?

Where does the mud they coat on the game balls come from? Who knows about the family history of the Schwab groundskeepers, why does Hick Carpenter matters to Reds fans, what beer sponsored the 1945 team, which one in 1966, the cost of Nuxhalls first contract, the cost of his last, who sold the first bobblehead, what incident finally caused the the sale of bottle to be stopped at games, Who was Bill Veek's dad and why should I care, why are there MLB players from the 19th century with 3000 abs but we don't know what side of the plate they batted from... why did the AL eschew the rosin bag for years?

Everything... if you ask the question.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-23-2013),cincyinco (05-24-2013),dubc47834 (05-23-2013),MrRedLegger (05-24-2013),reds1869 (05-24-2013),RedTeamGo! (05-22-2013),RichRed (05-23-2013),TeamCasey (05-24-2013)

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Baseball isn't just stats, it's people, buildings, equipment, rules... it's history.

Where does the mud they coat on the game balls come from? Who knows about the family history of the Schwab groundskeepers, why does Hick Carpenter matters to Reds fans, what beer sponsored the 1945 team, which one in 1966, the cost of Nuxhalls first contract, the cost of his last, who sold the first bobblehead, what incident finally caused the the sale of bottle to be stopped at games, Who was Bill Veek's dad and why should I care, why are there MLB players from the 19th century with 3000 abs but we don't know what side of the plate they batted from... why did the AL eschew the rosin bag for years?

This would probably make a really good thread.

Or a really bad one.

But a thread nevertheless!

Like a lot of competitive things in life, it's a Darwinian thing. If its an interesting thread, people will flock to it and ideas and comments will burst out. If it sucks eggs, it will wither and blow away.

Let nature take its course and thin the herd.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Like a lot of competitive things in life, it's a Darwinian thing. If its an interesting thread, people will flock to it and ideas and comments will burst out. If it sucks eggs, it will wither and blow away.

Agreed. However, you say Darwinian, I say capitalism. Tomato. Tomahto.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Problem is, replies of incredulity at a thread's topic make the thread about that topic stay at the top of the list. This makes me think that the ideal would be a Dislike button that makes threads with enough dislikes go extinct.

That would be truly Darwinian.
    /r/reds

10. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-23-2013),remdog (05-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Problem is, replies of incredulity at a thread's topic make the thread about that topic stay at the top of the list. This makes me think that the ideal would be a Dislike button that makes threads with enough dislikes go extinct.

That would be truly Darwinian.
    Nah, no need to reply to the thread, just ignore it. It's natural selection.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Nah, no need to reply to the thread, just ignore it. It's natural selection.
    how's that workin' so far? :O) All 4 still on the front page for me. One sitting in the 2 hole. (kinda appropriate placement)

13. Likes:

WildcatFan (05-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Great stuff, WOY, but that's not at all what I was referring to. I don't recall any RZ threads about any of those subjects, but all would most likely be interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Great stuff, WOY, but that's not at all what I was referring to. I don't recall any RZ threads about any of those subjects, but all would most likely be interesting though.
    There are plenty of threads on RedsZone about stuff like that. They're kind of difficult to find beneath all of those slick RedTruck threads though aren't they?

Can't have wheat without some chaff.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    how's that workin' so far? :O) All 4 still on the front page for me. One sitting in the 2 hole. (kinda appropriate placement)
    That was kinda my point, too. If the mods don't see fit to delete or close those landmine threads, it's hard to fault the community for trying to dilute the nonsense with replies.
    /r/reds

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why is this still a sticky thread?

Turn Off Ads?