Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Everyone,

In July, we posed a question to the site asking for feedback on potentially merging the Old Red Guard with the Sun Deck into one baseball forum. After considerable discussion within each forum’s thread, with the moderator staff, and between the administrators, we have decided to proceed with this merger.

Members who have been registered for 45 days and have a minimum of 50 posts will automatically be moved to the ORG (Game Thread posts will not count toward this tally). The Sun Deck will remain as an introductory forum for new members, and ORG members will have posting access as well; however, they will not be able to start new threads. This format is intended for new members to get their bearings (and allow the opportunity for ORG members to interact and mentor) before moving to the ORG.

To reiterate, there will no longer be a requirement for Sun Deck members to request access to the ORG. It will occur automatically after the minimum requirement of 45 days and 50 posts has been met. As such, ORG members will no longer vote on these applications. Additionally, there will not be demotions from the ORG to the Sun Deck as the Sun Deck will be, as stated earlier, an introductory forum for new members and no longer a standalone baseball forum. If a member does not abide by the site rules in the ORG, they will be given infractions, and, when warranted, removed from RedsZone altogether.

The moderator staff has been apprised to the framework of this change and is dedicated to helping keep the site run smoothly and successfully as we enter our 14th year as the best community of Reds fans online. We would also like to take this time to welcome back Tommyjohn25 as a site moderator, thank Johnny Footstool for his contributions as a moderator and thank the entire moderator staff for their hard work and commitment to the site.

We realize many long-time members have endured several significant changes to the site's structure over the years. We have always appreciated your patience and support during these times, and this one is no different. We also realize there was a large percentage of ORG members that did not want to see this change occur. We particularly ask those users to give these changes a chance; those joining the ORG will be subject to the same rules that ORG members are used to and not the relatively free reign many former Sun Deck members have enjoyed. We are especially open to your feedback now and as the change is implemented.

We tentatively plan on implementing these changes the weekend of 2/1 - 2/3 but this will definitely be done before Spring Training. We are excited to implement these new changes and are looking forward to a great new year and season.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

About time, I visit this board everyday to read the discussions on the big board. Now I can finally converse with them.

Well done and we'll said.
    There's no crying in baseball!!!! Tom Hanks

So what becomes the point of this board?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    So what becomes the point of this board?
    The first post explains this.

Glad to see this. I've found that the quality of discussion on the Sun Deck has been much improved as of late, though a 97 win season sure helps keep the trolls away.

As a guy who visits and reads both boards, but does not post much, I feel this is a good move. I think this move will be of the best for the entire website.

This move sounds like it will work out for the best. I've been coming here since 2005 to read discussions in The Old Red Guard but didn't feel like going through the rigamarole of the voting system to get posting rights there. I think the moderators will have to be up to the task to keep it at the quality it's at, but it will definitely add more discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    This move sounds like it will work out for the best. I've been coming here since 2005 to read discussions in The Old Red Guard but didn't feel like going through the rigamarole of the voting system to get posting rights there. I think the moderators will have to be up to the task to keep it at the quality it's at, but it will definitely add more discussion.
    I think I've been at it since the early 2000's; less than 200 posts, and, like yourself, without the gumption needed to make the push up to ORG. That said, I've always desired at least the option every now & then, to chime in on ORG.

Living in Los Angeles, I'm not exactly surrounded by other Reds fans, so when happenings are afoot w/ the Reds, I have only this board for discussion and/or information (mainly reading). And, I do visit the boards daily to read (esp. ORG), and have since I became a member.

Funny thing is, I had this fear of not being able to fully enjoy a Reds World Series (and, hopefully, celebration), simply because I wouldn't be able to engage in the massive ORG excitement & revelry that would occur during & afterwards. Might sound silly, but having the option to post in ORG means a lot.

Most important, I think that the revised Sun Deck rules are quite solid, and should really help the overall comportment of ORG. I also welcome a broader range of posted topics as well, which surely will occur.

I cannot thank Boss, GIK & the moderators enough, for all you guys do here for us Reds fans.
    Last edited by Number_Fourteen; 01-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
    As a guy who visits and reads both boards, but does not post much, I feel this is a good move. I think this move will be of the best for the entire website.
    Word for word I co-sign this post.

In fact I may even be encouraged to post more as a result of this format change.

Reds and 26.2's

As someone who has previously paid $$ to mingle with Redzone's best, I wholeheartedly approve of this decision.

I think this is a good idea. I rarely post, but when I try to randomly half the time I forget I'm reading a discussion is the ORG. It can be a bummer.

Only my second post, but having lurked/posted on other site's boards for several years now, I have already come to prefer this board to others. now...to get to that 50 post minimum by the start of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlessp View Post
    Only my second post, but having lurked/posted on other site's boards for several years now, I have already come to prefer this board to others. now...to get to that 50 post minimum by the start of the season

My sentiments exactly

But with no major moves to ponder, might be Spring before I can gin up 50 posts

Turn Off Ads?