Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips will be a part of Team USA

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Brandon Phillips will be a part of Team USA

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    What other Reds are playing in the WBC? I assume Votto is with Canada. Is Ceuto playing for the Dominicans?
    Dan Serafini pitching for Team Italy. For realz. Here are complete rosters with the caveat that more guys can get added up until Feb. 20. They're not set in stone:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sters-revealed

And while I understand that the WBC isn't for everyone, I love it. Wish it were starting tomorrow.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Anyone who finds the WBC boring or dull has never watched it outside of the US. The WBC is not meant for the blokes in downtown Cinci. Check out Seoul or Tokyo when their countries play each other and you see passion like it's the world cup finals and the home team made it. I love the WBC just for this reason. This will be my second one in SK and I will be in Japan for a few days as well.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

USA's starting pitching staff is highly unimpressive. Dickey and Vogelsong are fine, but those are the top-two guys? And then Holland and Medlen are the only other two starters on the roster? Pretty weak. And Willie Bloomquist? Really? I guess they needed a utility guy, but was not expecting to see him on the roster.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I am really bummed that Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, Buster Posey and Prince Fielder aren't playing for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I am really bummed that Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, Buster Posey and Prince Fielder aren't playing for the US.
    I completely understand Strasburg. The Nats sacrificed a chance to perhaps win the World Series to protect his arm. No way they would allow him to pitch in an exhibition event just months later. That wouldn't be fair to their fans.

But I agree on the other guys, especially Trout and Fielder. Perhaps Posey wants as much rest as possible after missing most of the 2011 season with the leg injury and then going all the way to the World Series and winning it in 2012.

But yeah, just like in 2009, I look at this roster and say "It's good, but this is the best we can do?" Actually, I like this year's roster better than the 2009 roster. We had freakin' Youkilis as the cleanup hitter on that team! Weak.

Texieria is the best the US could muster at 1b?

IMO the roster leaves much to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Texieria is the best the US could muster at 1b?

IMO the roster leaves much to be desired.
    Exactly. Perhaps the artist known as Prince told them he didn't want to play? That's the only thing that makes sense.

Okay, somebody tell me why The Netherlands gets the guys from Curacao and the US doesn't get Puerto Rico?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Exactly. Perhaps the artist known as Prince told them he didn't want to play? That's the only thing that makes sense.
    After Fielder, who's the best available American 1B? Aside from Paul Konerko (whom the White Sox aern't going to let play given his injury history) who would you take over Texeira?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Okay, somebody tell me why The Netherlands gets the guys from Curacao and the US doesn't get Puerto Rico?
    Curacao is not a territory. Rather, it is a self-governing country that is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which is headed by the Dutch Royal Family.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of four countries--the Netherlands, Aruba, Curacao, and Sint Maarten (the latter three are Caribbean islands). It is similar to how the United Kingdom is made up of four countries--England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Now as to why Puerto Rico gets to compete independently, I don't know.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    After Fielder, who's the best available American 1B? Aside from Paul Konerko (whom the White Sox aern't going to let play given his injury history) who would you take over Texeira?
    Adrian Gonzalez. Last year Fielder, Craig, Goldschmidt, LaRoche, Hart, and Garret Jones up better OPS's than Konerko. I would also list Mauer and Posey as 1b alternates. I know Posey doesn't want to play, but having him play 1b may have enticed him to play.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Adrian Gonzalez. Last year Fielder, Craig, Goldschmidt, LaRoche, Hart, and Garret Jones up better OPS's than Konerko. I would also list Mauer and Posey as 1b alternates. I know Posey doesn't want to play, but having him play 1b may have enticed him to play.
    Gonzalez has played for Mexico in the last couple classics, so I imagine they have first dibs on him.

Adrian Gonzalez is on Mexico's roster.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Curacao is not a territory. Rather, it is a self-governing country that is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which is headed by the Dutch Royal Family.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of four countries--the Netherlands, Aruba, Curacao, and Sint Maarten (the latter three are Caribbean islands). It is similar to how the United Kingdom is made up of four countries--England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Now as to why Puerto Rico gets to compete independently, I don't know.
    Especially considering that Puerto Rico is very close to being the 51st state.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They have some real talent on their roster, too.

I think the US is missing a bet not having Todd Frazier on the roster. It would be a good storyline, what with his LLWS experience.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?