Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What should be the order of the starting rotation?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What should be the order of the starting rotation?

Okay. You can tell it's the offseason. Things are slow.

So.....

Usually in April, there are so many off days, you don't even need but 4 starters anyway. So assume come May that Chapman gets added to the rotation. How do you mix them up? I mean, you have 1 left (Chapman) and then 3 hard throwers in Latos, Bailey, and Cueto. And then the slowball junkball guy in Arroyo. What's your order if Chapman gets mixed in come May?

Cueto
    Chapman
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey

Chapman (lefty) and Arroyo (junkball) are the different pieces of the puzzle. So they go 2nd and 4th. Make sense?

Or you could pitch Arroyo after Chapman, since Chapman is a hard thrower like the other 3.

What are the major differences between Cueto, Latos, Bailey? I think that makes a difference in deciding this. I know Bailey throws a splitter and Cueto/Latos don't.

What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What should be the order of the starting rotation?

I put Chapman in the 5th spot. Skip him when possible. Stretch out his innings as long as possible.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I put Chapman in the 5th spot. Skip him when possible. Stretch out his innings as long as possible.
    I agree. I want as many as possible of those innings to come in September and October.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Chapman
    I have this, but switch Arroyo and Bailey.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Chapman

^ This
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I want the Reds to put Aroldis Chapman on the 2012 Kris Medlin plan where Aroldis pitches out of the bullpen until late July then they stretch him out and he starts through the playoffs.

April until the transition I would have a rotation of:

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake

After the transition:

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Chapman

I feel that this is the best way that Aroldis can have the biggest impact in the playoffs. If the Nats team doctors were right and you can't have a SP pitch start for a while, then pitch him out of the bullpen until he hits the innings limit, then I want the Reds to do the opposite and have Aroldis close until July and then transition to a starter. Hopefully the Reds can get around 110 innings out of him this year and the maybe Aroldis can be the full season #5 starter next year. I am just afraid of having him start too early and then have him hit the innings limit before the playoffs.

Aroldis - Cueto - Latos - Bailey is a pretty nasty rotation for the postseason.

Turn Off Ads?