Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pirates DFA Zach Stewart

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Pirates DFA Zach Stewart

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...h-stewart.html

The White Sox claim the future Cy Younger for his second stint with them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He was a capable role player, he attained the highest honor in the pension chase, he however was not able to climb as high as .462/.559/.787 again.

Because ML ball and MLB is a world apart
    true, except when it isn't. but those guys are rarefied air.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

If my memory of the waiver process is correct, for the CWS to get an NL waived player that all the NL teams including the Reds of Cincinnati would have had to have passed on him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...h-stewart.html

The White Sox claim the future Cy Younger for his second stint with them.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If my memory of the waiver process is correct, for the CWS to get an NL waived player that all the NL teams including the Reds of Cincinnati would have had to have passed on him first.
    This is either the second or third time that Walt and the Reds have passed on him. Usually, if teams are enamored of a minor leaguer they gave up in a trade, they'll snap him up if he hits waivers. I'd say the Reds letting him pass through waivers speaks volumes about what they think of him. Either that or old Walt is 'asleep at the wheel' again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    This is either the second or third time that Walt and the Reds have passed on him. Usually, if teams are enamored of a minor leaguer they gave up in a trade, they'll snap him up if he hits waivers. I'd say the Reds letting him pass through waivers speaks volumes about what they think of him. Either that or old Walt is 'asleep at the wheel' again.
    I think you've divined it pretty well. The Reds don't seem to be experiencing any breakup remorse over Stewart.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Pirates DFAing him speaks many more volumes, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The Pirates DFAing him speaks many more volumes, IMO.
    Not IMO.

Dumb teams do dumb things. The Pirates are a dumb team, particularly the clowns they have in the front office.

I think it is more revealing that the team that drafted and developed him has passed up multiple opportunities to bring him back into the fold. When a team who knows a guy well and believes in his potential, they will often look to pick him back up and 'fix' whatever they perceive to have gone wrong with him. Walt passing on him tells me that he wasn't all that sold on his potential in the first place.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 01-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Pirates are a dumb team, particularly the clowns they have in the front office.
    But Neal Huntington is there to focus the Pirates like a laser on identifying better talent, not like those silly David Littlefield and Cam Bonifay guys who clearly couldn't spot baseball talent. Plus, Huntington worked for the Indians, and everybody with that pedigree is awesome at GMing. Just ask them (but don't look at their results).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

170+ replies and 5,000+ views. i'm sure Zach Stewart wishes he had stats like that.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Not IMO.

Dumb teams do dumb things. The Pirates are a dumb team, particularly the clowns they have in the front office.
    Except no team would give up anyithng of value for him in a trade, hence the Pirates had to release him.

More than half the teams in baseball declined to pick him up for nothing.

So, it's not just the Pirates making this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    170+ replies and 5,000+ views. i'm sure Zach Stewart wishes he had stats like that.
    The Rolen trade spun off everything that is great about internet baseball message boards, and this thread is just one more example. Every type of internet baseball hero gets a chance to say something:

• The historians (“Getting Rolen was the Reds’ most important trade acquisition since . . .”);
    • The intangibilists (“Trading EdE’s intangibles for Rolen’s transformed the franchise . . .”);
    • The lineup carders (“The Reds needed a cleanup hitter to Dusty-proof the lineup’);
    • The grass-is-greeners (“I can’t count how many times I wished we could have run Roenicke out to the mound instead of Ondrusek . . .”);
    • The money-doesn’t-matterers (“The Reds should have kept Rolen *and* EdE”);
    • The dogmatics (“TWO Cy Youngs? More like twelve! He’s that good. I'm not sure why you are doubting it. Every scout knew it.”);
    • The recordites (“Pre-Rolen record bad. Post-Rolen record good. QED.”)
    • The gotcha patrol (“Yeah, Doug, you spend more time watching and following the Reds organization that anyone except maybe 72 and 21, and you were right about Mes and Stubbs and more players than I can count, but this time you were wrong – HA!”);
    • The beer leaguers (“Left field? Of course EdE can handle it! The Jays only kept him at DH because they were expecting big things from Joe Inglett. I see him as athletic enough for short, even.”)
    • The prospect hounds (“Well, sure, Jocketty last traded away a worthwhile prospect in 2006, and you’re right, Stewart doesn’t look like anything special, and I have to admit, in retrospect it does look as if the Reds accelerated him through the system so fast that no one got to face him twice – but I’m telling you that there were two weeks in 2009 when he could have been traded straight up for Evan Longoria.”); and
    • The crystal ballers (“Look – EdE is a 40-HR talent. Sure, it took three years, and you’re right, he could have been obtained in 2010 for half a bucket of spit, and he lacks a position on the Reds, and I have to admit that arbitration would have bumped his salary immensely had the Reds held on to him – but a good GM would have foreseen all that and planned accordingly.”)

It’s not just good times - it's great times for all. I love every bit of this discussion, every single time it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    The Rolen trade spun off everything that is great about internet baseball message boards, and this thread is just one more example. Every type of internet baseball hero gets a chance to say something:

[LIST][*]The historians (“Getting Rolen was the Reds’ most important trade acquisition since . . .”);
    [*]The intangibilists (“Trading EdE’s intangibles for Rolen’s transformed the franchise . . .”);
    [*]The lineup carders (“The Reds needed a cleanup hitter to Dusty-proof the lineup’);
    [*]The grass-is-greeners (“I can’t count how many times I wished we could have run Roenicke out to the mound instead of Ondrusek . . .”);
    [*]The money-doesn’t-matterers (“The Reds should have kept Rolen *and* EdE”);
    [*]The dogmatics (“TWO Cy Youngs? More like twelve! He’s that good. I'm not sure why you are doubting it. Every scout knew it.”);
    [*]The recordites (“Pre-Rolen record bad. Post-Rolen record good. QED.”)
    [*]The gotcha patrol (“Yeah, Doug, you spend more time watching and following the Reds organization that anyone except maybe 72 and 21, and you were right about Mes and Stubbs and more players than I can count, but this time you were wrong – HA!”);
    [*]The beer leaguers (“Left field? Of course EdE can handle it! The Jays only kept him at DH because they were expecting big things from Joe Inglett. I see him as athletic enough for short, even.”)
    [*]The prospect hounds (“Well, sure, Jocketty last traded away a worthwhile prospect in 2006, and you’re right, Stewart doesn’t look like anything special, and I have to admit, in retrospect it does look as if the Reds accelerated him through the system so fast that no one got to face him twice – but I’m telling you that there were two weeks in 2009 when he could have been traded straight up for Evan Longoria.”); and
    [*]The crystal ballers It’s not just good times - it's great times for all. I love every bit of this discussion, every single time it happens.
    as do i. i utterly love the evolution of threads; if they still exist--i've gone into great detail on that in threads past.

but playing percentages, 170+ replies and 1,000+ in the last couple years of this message board puts you in (i use pitcher stats only) the territory of: Dennis Martinez, Dennis Eckersley, Dave Staub, Jimmy Key, Babe Ruth, Brett Saberhagen, Bob Lemon, Warren Spahn, Dave Stewart, et all part of the world in terms of success.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Stat geek...and proud

• The historians (“Getting Rolen was the Reds’ most important trade acquisition since . . .”);
    • The intangibilists (“Trading EdE’s intangibles for Rolen’s transformed the franchise . . .”);
    • The lineup carders (“The Reds needed a cleanup hitter to Dusty-proof the lineup’);
    • The grass-is-greeners (“I can’t count how many times I wished we could have run Roenicke out to the mound instead of Ondrusek . . .”);
    • The money-doesn’t-matterers (“The Reds should have kept Rolen *and* EdE”);
    • The dogmatics (“TWO Cy Youngs? More like twelve! He’s that good. I'm not sure why you are doubting it. Every scout knew it.”);
    • The recordites (“Pre-Rolen record bad. Post-Rolen record good. QED.”)
    • The gotcha patrol (“Yeah, Doug, you spend more time watching and following the Reds organization that anyone except maybe 72 and 21, and you were right about Mes and Stubbs and more players than I can count, but this time you were wrong – HA!”);
    • The beer leaguers (“Left field? Of course EdE can handle it! The Jays only kept him at DH because they were expecting big things from Joe Inglett. I see him as athletic enough for short, even.”)
    • The prospect hounds (“Well, sure, Jocketty last traded away a worthwhile prospect in 2006, and you’re right, Stewart doesn’t look like anything special, and I have to admit, in retrospect it does look as if the Reds accelerated him through the system so fast that no one got to face him twice – but I’m telling you that there were two weeks in 2009 when he could have been traded straight up for Evan Longoria.”); and
    • The crystal ballers (“Look – EdE is a 40-HR talent. Sure, it took three years, and you’re right, he could have been obtained in 2010 for half a bucket of spit, and he lacks a position on the Reds, and I have to admit that arbitration would have bumped his salary immensely had the Reds held on to him – but a good GM would have foreseen all that and planned accordingly.”)

It’s not just good times - it's great times for all. I love every bit of this discussion, every single time it happens.
    This post needs to go in the archive.

[Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?