Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds, Logan Ondrusek Agree To Deal

Reds, Logan Ondrusek Agree To Deal

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds, Logan Ondrusek Agree To Deal
    By Zach Links [January 17 at 7:21pm CST]
    The Reds and Logan Ondrusek have agreed to terms on a two-year deal to avoid arbitration, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The right-handed reliever is a client of Rich Thompson.

Ondrusek, 28 in February, posted a 3.46 ERA with 6.4 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 in 63 games last season. This was the reliever's first time entering the arbitration process and it looks like he won't encounter it again until after the 2014 season. Ondrusek is eligible for free agency after the 2016 campaign.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ct1IKzJ8U5kHXkyM.99

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds, Logan Ondrusek Agree To Deal

Still don't get it. I just can't see where there is room for him in the bullpen without a few injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Still don't get it. I just can't see where there is room for him in the bullpen without a few injuries.
    Is he now more enticing for someone else's bullpen?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Is he now more enticing for someone else's bullpen?
    That's sort of what I was thinking. Another trade may be in the works, not necessarily involving L.O.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Two year deal, quite unexpected.

Let's see there's Simon, Marshall, Hoover, Broxton, Lecure, Arredondo. Then there's Chapman if he isn't ready to start in April.

That's seven. If Masset is ready, there's 8.

Reds could trade somebody. Reds could begin Hoover at AAA. Reds could start Chapman immediately and send Leake down, opening a pen spot.

Two year deal certainly implies that Ondrusek will be with the ballclub. Would be unusual to sign Logan for two years then immediately trade him. We'll see what happens.

This regime has proven that they know how to build a bullpen. They have done it quite consistently over the past couple of years. I know what many think about Logan, but I am fine with whatever they want to do with the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    That's sort of what I was thinking. Another trade may be in the works, not necessarily involving L.O.
    LO to Pitt for Zach Stewart

Walt just lost half a letter grade on his offseason report, imo.

I dispise signing veteran middle relievers to more than one year contract for close to the league minimum. Have they learned nothing from Lincoln, Masset, et all?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Walt just lost half a letter grade on his offseason report, imo.

I dispise signing veteran middle relievers to more than one year contract for close to the league minimum. Have they learned nothing from Lincoln, Masset, et all?
    The kicker here being that Ondrusek isn't even a good middle reliever. Probably a minor deal though in the grand scheme of things though.

Could have looked the other way on a 1 year deal.

Don't like the second year.

Maybe they're trying to sweeten the pot for a Victorino deal?

2nd year is iffy but I gotta say I really like Ondrusek....I don't like him in that automatic everyday 7th inning role but like him as a whole

istm that this would be a great time to trade Logan. His numbers look a little better than he actually was, and he's been wrapped up for a couple of years. I'm sure there are takers out there. I know the Zach Stewart comment was made in jest, but he's exactly the kind of guy the Pirates like to pick up to try to prove to their fans that they want to win. Maybe the Reds can pick up a decent prospect who doesn't want to go through boot camp and get injured.

He's scheduled to come here on the caravan next week (along with Frazier and some minor leaguer named Hamilton) so they can wait until after that.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I might be alone, but I don't mind this signing at all.

I think we all agree it would be foolish to bank on Masset suddenly being healthy/effective after spending all last season on the shelf with the mystery ailment and having surgery.

Simon and Arrendondo are not exactly locks to be good either. With Broxton moving to closer, the hope is that one of the three will be an effective RH bridge to the end of the pen.. Signing him to 2 years probably saves the Reds some money and avoids the animousity of arbitration.

In reality, if you fill out the middle of the pen with minimum salary guys on one year contracts, you have a bad bullpen. We've had much worse in the middle of the pen than Logan, Imo.

Sometimes 2 year deals for relievers work out well, sometimes they backfire. Logan has been pretty durable. I'm comfortable with the risk.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    The kicker here being that Ondrusek isn't even a good middle reliever. Probably a minor deal though in the grand scheme of things though.
    IIRC his era+ was 123. That's 23% better than league average. How's that not good?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?