Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fathers?

Re: New Fathers?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Still waiting for the patience I never knew I had before, but reveling in the never gets old amazement my kids provide for me on a daily basis. And twelve years in, I still feel like a new dad who has no idea what he's doing most of the time.
    So you haven't experienced the trials and tribulations of a 14-year old daughter yet?

2. Turn Off Ads?

What I found was that, right about when you thought you had a glimmer of hope of mastering the current stage of your child, they moved on to the next one. So I was always one step behind. I can tell you a lot about what worked for them in the past, but not much about what works on them right now

I will say its a miracle more teenagers aren't murdered in their sleep by their parents.

Find your own style and works best for you and your wife. There are many paths to get to the same destination. Listen to everyone, develop a good BS filter, evaluate it on your own judgment and value system, and go from there.

Establish a good relationship with an accountant, a lawyer, a doctor, and a bartender. You'll need them all.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    We've already taken this approach. Sound advice on advice. I'm still a little shocked at the range of advice you get. We've gotten everything from the obvious to the unexpected to the outright bizarre.
    I started pretending everyone was a chiropractor. That way, you don't take them too seriously.

I can tell you it's the best thing to ever happen to me. Some days are better than others, but they are all better than my life before.

And, I kick some serious tail at Lego Star Wars on the PS3 now, which is nice.

The only advice is to follow your gut. And help her out. All you can.

Having three now (7, 5 and 2), I am reminded of how comparitively easy having just one was (I didn't think so at the time, of course). You'll be just fine.

As for advice from others, we mostly ignored it. But just in case, here's my suggestion:

Don't be THAT PARENT who does nothing but talk about your kids with others. Most people don't care (just like you don't care what color their kid's poop is).

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I will say its a miracle more teenagers aren't murdered in their sleep by their parents.
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    So you haven't experienced the trials and tribulations of a 14-year old daughter yet?

Not yet. Please take notes!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs82 View Post
    Simultaneously makes me feel better and worse about having a 6 month old, our first. At what point do you get the sage wisdom of life experience?
    I have no idea. For one, I'm not the kind of person who really worries about developing any wisdom, but rather I just kind of keep trying to move forward every day. Secondly, my older kid has some special needs, so we don't really have the same experience that other parents have. When he makes progress, we often ask each other whether that's what normal is supposed to look like for a twelve year old, so I'm not sure I have much to offer others in the way of advice. Anyway, maybe the sage wisdom stuff comes after your kids grow up and leave (or move into the basement).
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs82 View Post
    Simultaneously makes me feel better and worse about having a 6 month old, our first. At what point do you get the sage wisdom of life experience?
    It is all relative. To an expectant family you may already be there; in your head you may never be there.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Welcome to fatherhood. My daughter is 5 and my son is 3 and they are the cutest smartest kids in the world. They are also the best and worst kids in the world. You will feel the same way about yours. I only have two pieces of advice/wisdom: 1. Parenting is an active vocation, do not attempt it from the couch/bed/chair. 2. Revel in the journey, your child will amaze you with beauty, smiles, intelligence, everything. Enjoy it! It is awesome like nothing else.

If you have specific questions, concerns, joys to share RZ is an awesome place with real parents who would love to help/share your life experiences.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Here's a practical tip. Apricots make baby diapers into chemical weapons suitable to put down a small uprising. Avoid at all costs.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    We've already taken this approach. Sound advice on advice. I'm still a little shocked at the range of advice you get. We've gotten everything from the obvious to the unexpected to the outright bizarre.
    "Cover his feet with Vick's Vapo-rub, then put thick socks on his feet. He'll sleep through the night."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The one thing I'll add as a father of a 10-month old is to never forget that no matter how hard it is at times on you, it is always tougher for your wife. You might think you are tired, but I can guarantee she is more tired.

Turn Off Ads?