Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

Now you can! The only thing you have to do is drive Hal to all the games this season.
    http://m.deadspin.com/5977378/drive-...-gas-money-too

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

If I lived in Dayton I'd do it in a heartbeat. The perks are worth putting up with Hal.

Re: Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

old men smell, so no.

I'd do it just to listen to Hal's jokes on the ride to and from the game. They're filthy, offensive and very funny. You don't want to hear the ones he told when Marge owned the team, lol.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Hal is an unbelievable person. When I was a senior in high school preparing to enter journalism school, he invited me to a game, took me to the press box, really went all out. One hell of a guy.

Youngsters with no committments. Please do this on my behalf. You'll have a lifetime of stories.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Youngsters with no committments. Please do this on my behalf. You'll have a lifetime of stories.
    Understatement of the day. I could listen to Hal all day long.

Can't drink beer in press box. Can't cheer. ... That might get quite old after awhile.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Can't drink beer in press box. That might get quite old after awhile.
    Nah. What would get old after about 3 games is shelling out $8 per beer, when the job pays zero. Screw that noise.

Also, if you want to be a stickler about silly crap like the law, there's also the whole thing about part of the job involving driving back home after the game.

This is actually a semi-tempting offer. There's just no way I could commit to the whole 81 games without completely tanking every other aspect of my life. Any chance on forming some kind of RedsZone Transportation Subcommittee, and bid on the project as a group? Get 4-5 folks from Dayton-ish to take turns, and I might be able to handle 1 or 2 games per week without dire consequences.

Rick

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Can't drink beer in press box. Can't cheer. ... That might get quite old after awhile.
    Can't cheer?!? What the hell? I could understand members of the press not wanting to show bias...but that can't really be a rule can it?

Wow! I sure would like to drive him to the ballpark everyday. What great stories you would hear. Hal has always seemed like a good man to me and would be pleasure to be around him. If I lived in the Cincy area I would apply for that job in a heartbeat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Haunted by walks

This would be a chance for SABR guys to fill his head with crazy thoughts.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Can't cheer?!? What the hell? I could understand members of the press not wanting to show bias...but that can't really be a rule can it?
    It is an unwritten rule. It isn't always followed, but generally speaking, it is.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is an unwritten rule. It isn't always followed, but generally speaking, it is.
    As someone who works in the media, at the collegiate level, it is most definitely a rule. I've actually seen people get into it over what one person deemed excessive cheering from the press box. As for the actual job, I have a feeling it would get old to most people. I enjoy my job but, at the end of the day it is work and it has its pros and cons. I would imagine MLB baseball would be very similar to my job (I cover all sports) and it would become a grind sooner than latter. Of course, you aren't required to do any actual work here just show up.
    Last edited by redsfaninbsg; 01-20-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    As someone who works in the media, at the collegiate level, it is most definitely a rule. I've actually seen people get into it over what one person deemed excessive cheering from the press box. As for the actual job, I have a feeling it would get old to most people. I enjoy my job but, at the end of the day it is work and it has its pros and cons. I would imagine MLB baseball would be very similar to my job (I cover all sports) and it would become a grind sooner than latter. Of course, you aren't required to do any actual work here just show up.
    Well, with college it is a little different too because you have students working for different papers/radio/tv companies.

Turn Off Ads?