Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever been to Kauai?

Anyone ever been to Kauai?

My wife and I are blessed enough to be spending the last week of February in Kauai. Never having been, I was wondering if anyone could provide me any advice on what to do, where to eat, or any other fun tips on making it a wonderful vacation?

We will be staying at the St. Regis in Princeville.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone ever been to Kauai?

I've stayed on the other side of the island, the side your on is more resorts, golf courses and the such while the southwest side is where you have condos, rentals and locals.

Cars are expensive, so make sure you get transportation flushed out. Snorkel, boogie board and spend as much time on the beach as you can, don't doubt the sunscreen mantra, use it liberally.

Eat tons of fish, if you get a chance do a GOOD luau, be aware of cheap ones.

If you can get to Haena State Park do it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I've stayed on the other side of the island, the side your on is more resorts, golf courses and the such while the southwest side is where you have condos, rentals and locals.

Cars are expensive, so make sure you get transportation flushed out. Snorkel, boogie board and spend as much time on the beach as you can, don't doubt the sunscreen mantra, use it liberally.

Eat tons of fish, if you get a chance do a GOOD luau, be aware of cheap ones.

If you can get to Haena State Park do it.
    West,

Thanks for the advice.

Are there any luau's you would recommend??

I love to snorkel. Any great snorkel spots that you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    West,

Thanks for the advice.

Are there any luau's you would recommend??

I love to snorkel. Any great snorkel spots that you remember?
    We did this luau on a cruise last year http://luaukalamaku.com/

All my snorkel experience has been in Maui and the Big Island.

I've been there 6 or 7 times in past 18 years and am itching to get back, next time I think I might just do the Big Island since i have only been there twice

If you are into hiking the Na Pali coast is truly amazing. It is not a leisurely stroll, but my daughter managed it when she was 5.

If I remember correctly there also are some boat tours that take you along the Na Pali coast and include very nice snorkeling.

You should definitely check out Waimea Canyon...very beautiful. It's known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. My wife and I were there in Summer 2005. We also took a helicopter ride that flew us around the Na Pali Coast and through the Canyon. I think the company we used as Island Helicopters. We also did a zip line in the forest. Tunnels Beach is pretty cool...very unique. We were island hopping and stayed 3 nights in a condo on a cliff overlooking the ocean just above Poipu Beach. We couldn't take our eyes off the dozens of sea turtles floating in the waves just below our lanai every day.

A word of warning...be sure to lock you car or don't keep any valuables in it. I would avoid renting a Jeep too because they're easy to break into. We learned the hard way. While we were pulled off on the side of the road hiking to a popular waterfall, thieves broke in our Jeep and stole our camera bag. Luckily, no camera was inside...but we lost our video tape that we made while taking our helicopter ride I mentioned above.

All in all, Kauai was our favorite island and we can't wait to go back someday!
    Last edited by RedsFan74; 01-20-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Waimea Canyon is awesome. Its a neat drive and when you get to the top the scenic overlook doesn't get much better. I would recommend getting there early as the fog has been known to roll in around noon (or so I have been told.) Similar to WOY we stayed on the other side of the island. They offer boat tours on the Na Pali Cost that I have heard are amazing. My wife and I booked one only to have it cancelled.

Be very careful with your belongings, our car was broken into at one of the popular tourist locations. RedsFan74 sounds exactly like our experience, my wife's bag was stolen in a smash and grab. Thankfully her wallet and license was not in it.

The seafood is amazing and different than what you can get on the east coast. Drink plenty of Mai Tai's, drink those fufu drinks while in Hawaii.

Buy this book. This was our guide in Kauai. http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-K...keywords=kauai

9. Likes:

forfreelin04 (02-02-2013)

dp

All,

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations! We can't wait!

One more question....Any good places you remember eating at?

Wonderfully lush island. Make sure you checkout the rain forest there. My wife's a travel agent and the best hotel she's ever enjoyed is the Hyatt on Kauai, seriously. Take lots of pictures and rent a car. That's how we enjoyed it

Go to www.Tripadvisor.com

Log into Kauai, HI for location (upper right-hand corner and (mostly) locals will answer your questions. There is an old adadge in the Travel business, "Trust the locals, not the yokels."

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Zodiac tour on the Napali Coast. Unforgettable experience and scenery.
    Go BLUE!!!

Bucks fan, I received the Ultimate Kauai book today. It is awesome. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    My wife and I are blessed enough to be spending the last week of February in Kauai. Never having been, I was wondering if anyone could provide me any advice on what to do, where to eat, or any other fun tips on making it a wonderful vacation?

We will be staying at the St. Regis in Princeville.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    That sounds awesome. Try to get up a mountain and let the view blow your mind. Hawaii is unbelievably gorgeous.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    That sounds awesome. Try to get up a mountain and let the view blow your mind. Hawaii is unbelievably gorgeous.

Have fun!
    Thanks! We're getting excited!

Turn Off Ads?