Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, with college it is a little different too because you have students working for different papers/radio/tv companies.
    This is true, 90 percent of the problems I have seen involve students or those not in the media.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you like to get a free seat in the press box next to Hal McCoy all season?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Can't cheer?!? What the hell? I could understand members of the press not wanting to show bias...but that can't really be a rule can it?
    No cheering in the press box is a standard, enough of standard that a book covering famous sportswriters was written with that title

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..._the_Press_Box

Cheering is for fans, writers aren't fans when the ink hits the paper.

If they are real writers

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    This is true, 90 percent of the problems I have seen involve students or those not in the media.
    That sounds pretty accurate. I had a friend who worked the Xavier basketball beat for a bit and she would always complain when it happened and that it was almost always students or very young professionals.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

As a young 'sports writer' (I am not sure if I want to sentence myself yet), I have been in several press rooms/boxes. Cheering on the MAC level is not uncommon, but that is mostly because everybody knows everybody and they are more of a team than competitors in the journalism world.

However, I have been to Cleveland where there are huge signs that state that cheering will get you thrown out. And people literally sit there afraid to make a noise. It's a weird feeling.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

if it were 30+ years ago when I had no wife and no kids and no big responsiblities, I'd jump at it. Kinda like "Driving Miss Daisy". I think it would be a gas.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    if it were 30+ years ago when I had no wife and no kids and no big responsiblities, I'd jump at it. Kinda like "Driving Miss Daisy". I think it would be a gas.
    Exactly. Or 30 years from now. I have spent some time with Hal and shared some emails. I am going to offer to be a back up to whomever he selects.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Somebody needs to do this and write a book.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Imagine the connections for an aspiring sports writer. I hope this goes to the right person. What a lotto ticket.

As a fan first, and a broadcaster second, I can tell you the press box is a lonely place. It is super cool when you get there and see all of the scribes you've followed for years. But a few games later it gets weird.

Don't get me wrong it's great, but only if you like watching games in a library. My co-host and I had to sit on our hands as the Reds clinched the Central last year.
    "The Redlegs Radio Report," on every Sat. 9 a.m. (CST) all season long!
    Listen on ESPN 1450 AM Bowling Green, KY. or www.espn1450.net SOKY's only Reds Radio affiliate.
    @redlegsradiorep

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    There's just no way I could commit to the whole 81 games without completely tanking every other aspect of my life. Any chance on forming some kind of RedsZone Transportation Subcommittee, and bid on the project as a group? Get 4-5 folks from Dayton-ish to take turns, and I might be able to handle 1 or 2 games per week without dire consequences.
    I would be willing to handle some games as well. If we could get 3-4 more guys, it would be easy.

dfs
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Imagine the connections for an aspiring sports writer. I hope this goes to the right person. What a lotto ticket.
    Gotta imagine McCoy would throw you a bone and you'd meet some of the players/coaches/FO guys. I imagine they'd all think it was cool what you were doing.

Turn Off Ads?