Re: Good bye Mr. Musial

RIP, Stan. Such an underrated player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

RIP Stan. As great of a man as he was a player. And he was an elite all-time best player.

The gold standard.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

His wife, Lillian, whom he married in 1940, died in May 2012 at 91.

Musial had 8 5 hit games in his career and 59 4 hit games

My dad use to tell me a story about a brawl that broke out between the Reds and Cards back in the day. With both teams piled up in the middle of the field, there was Musial and Big Klu off to the side, arms crossed and chatting like two bystanders on the street corner. Almost like they were saying to each other, "Can you believe these crazy kids?"
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Great ballplayer, smo-o-o-thest swing. Second best hitter I've ever seen (Teddy Ballgame was the best). As I understand it (since I didn't see the particular game) Stan's last hit came on a groundball past a Reds rookie secondbaseman, named Pete Rose, who would go on to pass Musial, Williams, Cobb and all others in hits. (Who knew, then)
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

My wife & I were away for the weekend down at Natural Bridge. First our son texted me, then my nephew (and godson) - a big Cardinals fan; then our younger daughter texted my wife. I texted my son & nephew back that they're Grandpa was a happy guy since I figured the only thing unsatisfying about heaven was that Stan wasn't there to yack with. Today my son tweeted: "Baseball lost an icon, but my grandpa gained a conversation buddy with Stan Musial's passing." Yeah, that.

Perhaps the classiest guy to ever play the game. I never saw him play, but I love watching clips of him hitting.

Great piece by Joe Poz on Musial today: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/41045162/

And the All-Star game story is the day a very good friend of mine was born and she's never appreciated that Stan Musial won the All Star game on the day she was born (not being a baseball fan), but I'm still going to share this new angle on what I only knew as the fact (having been a Reds game once on her birthday and a "this date in history" piece showed on the scoreboard. I turned to my wife and said that's the day Anne was born.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If someone didn't know his stats or what kind of ball player he was, all they would have to do is look at his nick name to see the kind of caliber player he was. "The Man" was given out of respect by fans of an opposing ball club.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    If someone didn't know his stats or what kind of ball player he was, all they would have to do is look at his nick name to see the kind of caliber player he was. "The Man" was given out of respect by fans of an opposing ball club.
    It was Brooklyn fans in 1946 who gave him that nickname, in honor of his frequent pounding of Dodger's pitching:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...97f7a263a.html
    Last edited by Always Red; 01-20-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Really good article on fangraphs about translating Musials numbers to 2012 standards:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...omment-3924040

EDIT: a career ISO of .290 and 10%K rate is unheard of!
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 01-24-2013 at 01:46 PM.

An excellent “MLB Network Remembers: Stan Musial” was on MLB Network last night with Bob Costas and Tom Verducci. A warm, well-done, and in-depth retrospective on a great player and a great man.

I think it re-runs today at 1 pm and tomorrow at 1 pm. I recommend it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    An excellent “MLB Network Remembers: Stan Musial” was on MLB Network last night with Bob Costas and Tom Verducci. A warm, well-done, and in-depth retrospective on a great player and a great man.

Yes it is good.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Thanks. I DVR'd and plan on watching it this weekend. Most anything Costas does in regards to baseball is good.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I remember reading an article one time explaining how Musial once asked for a reduction in salary because he felt his performance was lacking. How many professional athletes would do that today?
    Not to take this OT, but i seem to recall Mark McGwire doing that as an Athletic. Early 90's maybe?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

It was great to hear what Hank Aaron said about The Man.

Turn Off Ads?