This Bud's for you Stan. Rest in Peace.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good bye Mr. Musial

RIP Stan "The Man" Musial.

RIP.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

:-( First Earl, now Stan. Just sad. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    :-( First Earl, now Stan. Just sad. RIP.
    These things tend to happen in groups of three... I wonder who is next? Very sad.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Dang, what a sad baseball day! First Earl and now Stan Musial. That's a lot of history gone from the baseball world and they will both be greatly missed by everyone. RIP Mr. Musial.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

One of the best players of all time. Also seemed to be an even better human being. I wish I could have seen him play. He retired the year I was born,1963. I read his recent biography. I came away thinking that had to be difficult to write because there was just no controversy about the man. R.I.P Stan Musial
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Its funny because Earl Weaver who was ejected 94 times during his 17 year career died today while Musial who was never ejected in his 22 year career also died today.

Musial was arguably the greatest hitter to come out of Donora, Pa and that is saying alot.

RIP Stanley Frank
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Its funny because Earl Weaver who was ejected 94 times during his 17 year career died today while Musial who was never ejected in his 22 year career also died today.

Musial was arguably the greatest hitter to come out of Donora, Pa and that is saying alot.

RIP Stanley Frank
    Earl was born and raised in St Louis too, grew up watching both teams and soaking in some Musial first hand

I remember reading an article one time explaining how Musial once asked for a reduction in salary because he felt his performance was lacking. How many professional athletes would do that today?

I saw only the tale end of Stan's career. Ironic both he and Ken Griffey Jr. were both born in Donora, Pa. and share a Nov. 21st Birthday, born 49 years apart.

If you ever saw Stan hit you remember his stance and seemed like everything he hit was a line drive.

RIP Mr. Musial , you were a credit to both baseball and more importantly the human race.

Being in my sixth decade, the memory is not so great, but watching his last game playing against the Reds is a memory. I think Jim Maloney was pitching for the Reds. Even then, I realized as a youngster, that his greatness was what itvwascand we'd never see him again. Humbling for sure even for a kid watching in black and white. Those days, heroes were heroes. RIP.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

For a player who was properly appreciated while he was playing, Musial was underrated in retirement. In fan voting for the All Century Team Musial was left off and had to be later added by the Commissioner. Hey I grew up rooting for Pete Rose and I liked Ken Griffey Jr., but voting Rose and Junior to the team and leaving off Stan the Man was crazy.
    Musial just seemed to be largely forgotten outside of St. Louis. Ted Williams had the outsize personality, Simon & Garfunkel sang of Joe DiMaggio, and Aaron, Mantle and Mays remained in the public memory, but Stan was an afterthought too often.
    In the words of Bill James decades ago- Stan Musial was a ballplayer. He didn't marry Marilyn Monroe (he married his high school sweetheart, a marriage ended by her death 70+ years later), he didn't feud with sports writers or fans, he didn't battle alcohol, his cap stayed on his head--he just showed up and played at an extremely high level everyday and got along with everyone. He won 3 MVP awards and should have had at least a couple of more. He was simply a terrific player and an even better person. R.I.P.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 01-20-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quite simply the greatest hitter I was ever privileged to watch in person. R.I.P. Stan, who was indeed, "The Man" .

One other thing about Stan the Man. I just looked up his Hall of Fame Monitor Score. The average member of the HOF has a score of 100.
    Stan's score is 454.
    Where does that rank all time?
    1st.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?