Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #15 prospect for 2013?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

    13 22.03%
  • Drew Cisco

    0 0%
  • Tim Crabbe

    0 0%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

    0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

    2 3.39%
  • Jeff Gelalich

    4 6.78%
  • Ryan LaMarre

    4 6.78%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

    3 5.08%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

    12 20.34%
  • Jonathan Moscot

    0 0%
  • Curtis Partch

    0 0%
  • Jonathan Reynoso

    9 15.25%
  • Sal Romano

    0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

    0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

    0 0%
  • Juan Silva

    0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

    1 1.69%
  • David Vidal

    6 10.17%
  • Kyle Waldrop

    3 5.08%
  • Ryan Wright

    2 3.39%
  • Other (Please name)

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The next ten picks are pretty much entirely interchangeable, IMO, as they represent some combination of high upside or high floor.
    I agree, and I feel the same way about the last eight picks. Basically, there are about 20 guys after Winker/Travieso who could all make an argument for the top 10 or be left out of the top 25 altogether depending on what you value in a prospect.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I agree that the injury may have been a contributing factor in his struggles and that it is WAY too soon to write him off, but his 2012 season still happened and should be factored into his ranking regardless of any extenuating circumstances.
    Should it though? I mean, we are trying to predict who will do what in the future, right? If a guy was playing with an injury that shouldn't be there moving forward, should we really put much weight onto what he did while injured?

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Should it though? I mean, we are trying to predict who will do what in the future, right? If a guy was playing with an injury that shouldn't be there moving forward, should we really put much weight onto what he did while injured?
    I'm not saying we should give up on him. If he bounces back in 2013, I'm perfectly willing to write off his 2012 season as a fluke. But right now, it is the only data point we have on him with a wood bat in a professional league.

    We wouldn't have ignored his 2012 season if he performed well with a bum wrist, nor we shouldn't ignore the fact that he struggled to perform with a bum wrist. Injuries happen. Guys have to play through bumps and bruises. 2012 was a legitimate data point for how he performs when banged up. Hopefully, 2013 gives a data point of how he performs when healthy and the results will be significantly better. But he might get banged up again in 2013, or he might be healthy and perform at the same level. Until then, all we have to go on is his pre-draft profile and his 2012 results.

  5. #19
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,602

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Tanner Rahier. Wasn't he the second baseman for the Bad News Bears?
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #20
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I'm not saying we should give up on him. If he bounces back in 2013, I'm perfectly willing to write off his 2012 season as a fluke. But right now, it is the only data point we have on him with a wood bat in a professional league.

    We wouldn't have ignored his 2012 season if he performed well with a bum wrist, nor we shouldn't ignore the fact that he struggled to perform with a bum wrist. Injuries happen. Guys have to play through bumps and bruises. 2012 was a legitimate data point for how he performs when banged up. Hopefully, 2013 gives a data point of how he performs when healthy and the results will be significantly better. But he might get banged up again in 2013, or he might be healthy and perform at the same level. Until then, all we have to go on is his pre-draft profile and his 2012 results.
    No, in fact I would have given him more credit had he performed well with a bum wrist.

    I just don't see the point in dinging a guy playing with a hand injury for his poor hitting, even if it is "the only data point" to work with other than scouting reports and college stats. That isn't the guy he will be moving forward, at least from a skillset perspective.

  7. #21
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Tanner Rahier. Wasn't he the second baseman for the Bad News Bears?

    Signed specifically for all future games against the Cardinals.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,652

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    I don't have an answer to this one, but I wonder if Jacob Constante (the 19-year-old lefty just signed out of the Dominican) should be on the list for the next poll.

  9. #23
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I don't have an answer to this one, but I wonder if Jacob Constante (the 19-year-old lefty just signed out of the Dominican) should be on the list for the next poll.

    I think he should and had planned on including him for the next go-round.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  10. #24
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,119

    Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If a guy like Winker is being highly rated due to his performance at Billings, then it is only fair that a guy like Gelalich gets downgraded for the same. You can't cherry pick only the strong performances while rationalizing away or downright ignoring the poor performances.
    We are talking ten spots lower. You can't just disregard his collegiate performance either. Given the injury, I don't see 15 being a reach.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25