Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 All Star game to GABP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 2015 All Star game to GABP?

Doesn't look like anything of substance to me. Just rampant speculation on the part of the author IMO.

Not that I don't want the Reds to get the ASG, but I think every franchise should have a turn and IIRC there are some that have NEVER had it yet.

Marlins & Rays have never hosted it. The Nats haven't (although they did as the Expos). The Dodgers haven't had one since 1980.

Dodgers, Nats, A's and the Marlins and Rays should have first dibs before the Reds if all things are fair.

from least recent to most recent

New York Mets, 1964 (scheduled to host in 2013)
    Los Angeles Dodgers, 1980
    Washington Nationals, 1982 (as Montreal Expos – the last All-Star Game held in Washington, DC was in 1969, hosted by the present-day Texas Rangers franchise)
    Minnesota Twins, 1985 (scheduled to host in 2014)
    Oakland Athletics, 1987
    Cincinnati Reds, 1988 (bidding for 2015)
    Chicago Cubs, 1990
    Toronto Blue Jays, 1991
    San Diego Padres, 1992
    Miami Marlins, never (franchise started in 1993; was scheduled to host in 2000, but moved to Atlanta; bidding for 2015)
    Baltimore Orioles, 1993
    Texas Rangers, 1995
    Philadelphia Phillies, 1996
    Cleveland Indians, 1997
    Tampa Bay Rays, never (franchise started in 1998)
    Colorado Rockies, 1998
    Boston Red Sox, 1999
    Atlanta Braves, 2000
    Seattle Mariners, 2001
    Milwaukee Brewers, 2002
    Chicago White Sox, 2003
    Houston Astros, 2004
    Detroit Tigers, 2005
    Pittsburgh Pirates, 2006
    San Francisco Giants, 2007
    New York Yankees, 2008
    St. Louis Cardinals, 2009
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, 1989 (as California Angels), 2010
    Arizona Diamondbacks, 2011
    Kansas City Royals, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

Dodgers, Nats, A's and the Marlins and Rays should have first dibs before the Reds if all things are fair.
    True, but MLB won't let the Rays have it in their "old" stadium, the Marlins may also have just blown their shot with another fire sale.

2019 maybe?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Doesn't look like anything of substance to me. Just rampant speculation on the part of the author IMO.

Not that I don't want the Reds to get the ASG, but I think every franchise should have a turn and IIRC there are some that have NEVER had it yet.

Marlins & Rays have never hosted it. The Nats haven't (although they did as the Expos). The Dodgers haven't had one since 1980.

Indeed.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Indeed.
    I was spot on target, huh? So this puts a kink in my Karnac impersonator world tour don't ya think?

If Cincinnati can't get an All-Star game, I'd like to see them put in the winning bid for the next few World Series.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Agreed that the Dodgers and Nats probably have dibs over the Reds. But they're really the only two, I think. Both Florida teams have baggage, and the A's play in a craphole and are basically just waiting out the clock till they're allowed to move (at which point, they'll get a shiny new stadium and an ASG, but not till then).

Combine how long it's been since Cincinnati hosted an ASG with the fact that GABP is one of the few current stadiums in all of MLB to have NEVER hosted/be-scheduled-to-host an ASG (and it's now 10 years old), and I really can't see how you can justify not getting one of the next three NL slots... a quick glance, and isn't it just the two Florida teams, Petco, the Nats, new Yankee Stadium, and GABP that haven't ever hosted and aren't scheduled to host in the next 2 years? And it's not like either Florida team should be under consideration, nor the Yanks (since Old Yankee Stadium just had it)...

Rick

Fay's now reporting it as a done deal, announcement on Wednesday:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...r-breakingnews

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ing-Cincinnati

The Midsummer Classic will return to Cincinnati in 2015, baseball sources confirmed.

Commissioner Bud Selig will be in town Wednesday to announce the newest Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academy. The academy will be built in Cincinnati, the first one in the Midwest.

Selig is expected to announce the All-Star Game at that time.

The Reds had no comment on matter Monday night. CEO Bob Castellini said on Opening Day that the All-Star Game was coming to Cincinnati, but he would not say the specific year.

The All-Star Game has become a much bigger deal than it was even in 1988. The Home Run Derby on the eve of the game sells out each year. The Fanfest is a massive undertaking.

It will be the first All-Star Game at GABP. The Reds last hosted in 1988 at Riverfront Stadium. Cincinnati also hosted in 1938 and 1953 Crosley Field and in 1970 at Riverfront.

The All-Star Game has become a much bigger deal than it was even in 1988. The Home Run Derby on the eve of the game sells out each year. The Fanfest is a massive undertaking.

"The commissioner has talked about it before, it's gone from asking cities to host to everyone wanting to host," MLB media relations Patrick Courtney said earlier last week. "It's become such a big deal with the five or six events."

MLB has been alternating the game between National League and American League cities. This year's game will be at Citi Field, the home of the New York Mets. Next year's game will at Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins.

The Reds have pushed for an All-Star Game since Bob Castellini took over ownership of the club. Castellini said on Opening Day 2012 that an All-Star Game was coming to Cincinnati, but he wouldn't say when.

The 1988 game -- won 2-1 by the American League -- was not particularly memorable.

The 1970 game was. The NL won 5-4 in 12 innings. The winning run scored when Pete Rose plowed Ray Fosse at the plate. The throw easily beat Rose, but the ball came loose as Rose collided with Fosse.

The game was played at Riverfront Stadium, just two weeks after the park opened. Because of the concerns about the park being ready, commissioner Bowie Kuhn did not guarantee that Cincinnati would host until June 1.

The NL won in 1938 and 1953 as well. The 1953 game is noteworthy in that Satchel Paige played in it as a 46-year-old, the oldest All-Star in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ing-Cincinnati

The 1970 game was. The NL won 5-4 in 12 innings. The winning run scored when Pete Rose plowed Ray Fosse at the plate. The throw easily beat Rose, but the ball came loose as Rose collided with Fosse.
    The throw did not "easily beat Rose." Fosse was blocking the basepath without the ball and Rose and the baseball reached Fosse at about the same time. The ball didn't come "loose" because Rose plowed into Fosse before he had possession of the baseball.
    Great news about the 2015 All Star game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The throw did not "easily beat Rose." Fosse was blocking the basepath without the ball and Rose and the baseball reached Fosse at about the same time. The ball didn't come "loose" because Rose plowed into Fosse before he had possession of the baseball.
    Great news about the 2015 All Star game.
    Technically, Pete could have been ruled safe at the instant he made contact with Fosse. The catcher has no right to obstruct the base line. He can only block the plate if and only if he has the ball. In this case, he was blocking the base line AND he did not have the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Technically, Pete could have been ruled safe at the instant he made contact with Fosse. The catcher has no right to obstruct the base line. He can only block the plate if and only if he has the ball. In this case, he was blocking the base line AND he did not have the ball.
    Not true.

If the fielder is making a play on the ball he can block the basepath.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Very cool! This is going to be AWESOME!

Re: 2015 All Star game to GABP

I'm taking off the whole month. Just to be safe.

Geeked!
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Re: 2015 All Star game to GABP

It's a great event. I didn't make it to the game here in KC this year -- no tickets to be had -- but I went to the Futures Game, and it was fantastic.

They do ask for volunteers to help out, which a friend of mine did. He said it was a lot of fun, and he got to do a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff at the ballpark leading up to the game, including be the stand-in for one of the players on the field during rehearsals.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?