Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Mattingly wants Scott Rolen...

Don Mattingly wants Scott Rolen...

I haven't been keeping up with my baseball news but thought I'd google Scottie & see what's up...Don Mattingly came out today & said he talked to Scott about playing for the Dodgers...He gave his reasons why & it was said that the Reds were his first choice...I haven't talked to him about this because I would never ask about his personal business...I know there are quite a few on the RedsZone would like to see him gone & I understand that...Alot have asked why he would want to play at all...well if you know Scott personaly you know he loves the game more than anyone I've ever heard of...I personally would love him to stay because of my selfish reasons to go to the games...but would love to see him be a batting coach...I also don't know if he's going to play & am assuming it's probably about if he feels he can do it...I'm not even sure the Reds want him...but would you rather say 'Happy Trails' or 'Good riddance' or you could care less or want him to stay as a player or coach? If you want to use this thread to 'Rolen bash' would rather you start your own thread on 'hating Scott'...Just thought I'd ask...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Don Mattingly wants Scott Rolen...

Scott is a big reason the Reds are winners once again. I don't think he is the right fit anymore. We have to give Todd Frazier a chance to play everyday. I don't think Scott wants to be a player off the bench. Best wishes if he goes to the Dodgers.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Personally I hope that Rolen returns. He is a class act in every sense of the word. While I surmise that the every day role should go to Frazier I'd love to have Rolen around as a steadying influence and club house leader.

Whatever happens I wish him well.

I like Scott Rolen and wouldn't mind his returning as a bench player and back-up to Todd Frazier; however the REds signed Hannahan who is younger, posted similiar stats last year and is apparently more versatile (can play 2B and 1B). barring injuries, I dont believe there is room for Rolen pon the 25 man roster.

I dont know if we will see him again, but if he is healthy and the role is right, would love to have him. What he brings to the locker room, esp for the youngr players, is invaluable. Would love to see him get in coaching and see what he can do in that role!!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I would love to see Rolen stick around in some way. Age and injuries have been a problem as of late with Frazier looking to get his chance as an everyday 3b. Why not retire and be assistant hitting/ fielding instructor and get HEALTHY. All the while Rolen could be taking some fielding and hitting along the way into August. August comes he could unretire and go to the minors for some "spring training" and then come up to the Reds when rosters expand. Crazy idea, but if the Reds are in it, a healthy and fresh Rolen would be nice to have. I don't think his body can take a full season.

cant see him leaving hte midwest...

I can't see him leaving the midwest either. I don't really see his place on the reds roster either. What he provided was EXTREMELY important. However if he is still needed to provide that kind of leadership there is a problem. Votto should be the leader there everyday, with a lesser extent guys like Phillips, Bruce, and Ludwick.

Agreed--and you cant lead from the bench IMO...

I wouldn't mind seeing him stick with the organization in some other capacity, but I honestly feel the roster is stronger as currently composed, minus Rolen.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Rolen's value as a teammate and leader in the clubhouse is invaluable, but it's time to hand the fulltime 3B job over to Frazier. I wish we could find a way to keep Scotty, but I don't see it happening.

I don't think it was a coincidence that the Reds got better with the departure of Dunn and Griffey and with the acquisition of Rolen. The mentality of the team changed. If he does not come back, hopefully enough of that has rubbed off on Votto, Bruce, Phillips etc...

I've never been a part of a major league clubhouse, but I sometimes wonder how "invaluable" this so called leadership/persona actually is.

I understand Scott's importance to the team, and I am in no way questioning that. He has been vital to the organization's success in recent years, and I fully acknowledge that.

However, if the current Reds roster (excluding Rolen) cannot in some way fill Scott Rolen's presence, leadership, mentoring, and performance on the field, then I feel something is wrong. This team has plenty of guys that have been in the league and are seasoned veterans that can relay his leadership/mentoring abilities. All I'm saying is, it's time to take the next step forward and I think they are fully prepared without Scott Rolen.

IF he decides to return as a backup (which is highly unlikely), I gladly accept him. Although, he isn't worth much as bench player, considering his only position is 3b.

Just my .02.

Agreed that it's tough to put a guy on the bench who can ONLY play one position, and has had no history of coming off the bench to pinch hit...that's gotta be tough.

Turn Off Ads?