Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Dominican lefty for $730,000

Reds sign Dominican lefty for $730,000

Jacob Constante, a 19 year old lefty.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...te-for-730000/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Dominican lefty for $730,000

Very nice. I like that they're putting their big international investments into pitching. At almost 19, this kid is a safer bet than the 16s who sign for a bundle.

I really hope here in the near future all these dominican players we have signed start turning the corner

I can't recall what the new rules are with regards to international signings. Seemed to me there was a limited pool of money for each club. Anyone remember the details?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Very nice. I like that they're putting their big international investments into pitching. At almost 19, this kid is a safer bet than the 16s who sign for a bundle.
    I've heard good things about him, but I'm curious isn't it rare for a dominican ball player of any perceivable talent to still be available to sign at 19?

I'd love for George Grande to tell me this kid's story, late bloomer?

<By the way, just realized the irony inherent in a 34 year old referring to a 19 year old as a late bloomer>
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I've heard good things about him, but I'm curious isn't it rare for a dominican ball player of any perceivable talent to still be available to sign at 19?
    I asked myself the same thing as soon I finished reading about his signing. It seems like MLB teams snap up everybody on the island with even a modicum of talent on their 16th birthday. How did this guy make it 19 without being noticed? Was he a late-bloomer who was thought to have no potential as a 16 year-old or was he living on some deserted island until recently and just showed up at a baseball academy as a full-formed 19 year old prodigy?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I asked myself the same thing as soon I finished reading about his signing. It seems like MLB teams snap up everybody on the island with even a modicum of talent on their 16th birthday. How did this guy make it 19 without being noticed? Was he a late-bloomer who was thought to have no potential as a 16 year-old or was he living on some deserted island until recently and just showed up at a baseball academy as a full-formed 19 year old prodigy?
    I heard he was the waterboy and someone insulted his mother. He picked up a baseball and threw it at them really hard. Next thing you know, he was a starting pitcher.

"My mama says.........."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Likely a late bloomer. In the past few years the powers that be in the Dominican started up the Dominican Prospect League, which takes unsigned guys and has actual games. It helps further develop these guys and gets guys who would have once been overlooked another shot at being seen. Personally, I love it. It gives more players a chance to do something with baseball and it gives teams another chance to see a talent that may have been overlooked because they hit their growth spurt at 17 rather than 15.

Another Baseball America blurb on Constante. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...all-star-game/

There were some international players at the event as well and some stood out. The first is LHP Jacob Constante. He’s 6-foot-4, 215 lbs and was 90-93 mph with a solid slider. He’s eligible to sign right now. There were some questions about his age/documentation that teams were looking into (teams always want to be sure on this front now before moving forward), but there was a lot of interest. If he’s legit, he’s going to find a deal somewhere soon.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-22-2013 at 01:51 PM.

I'm pretty sure Cueto didn't sign until he was 18. Sometimes a gem can slide through unnoticed.

6'4" lefty with a low 90s fastball and a solid slider. Assuming he can throw a strike, this kid won't want for opportunities to become a major leaguer.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Here is a link to a Baseball America article discussing Constante and why he signed late. Apparently teams have shied away from signing 16 year old Dominican pitchers because most of them don't develop well.

Reports say his fastball has a lot of movement to the point where catchers have a hard time catching the ball. Sounds good as long as he can control it.

I saw a link somewhere in Spanish that led me to believe Constante is a converted outfielder.

Turn Off Ads?