Turn Off Ads?

Thread: News on Scott Rolen

News on Scott Rolen

Though Scott Rolen hasn't made a final decision about whether to play in 2013, he has told people that the Reds would be his top choice if he does return, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports (Twitter link).
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#MM78AQiV52CMQMU1.99

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: News on Scott Rolen

Hate to break it to him, but I think that ship has sailed

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Hate to break it to him, but I think that ship has sailed
    heck it's in another port somewhere over the horizon
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

His talent has diminished for sure but the Reds always seemed to play better with him in the lineup. I would love to keep him as a bench guy. His dugout presence is an asset in any role.

I can't see with the moves that have been made that he is coming back. If he does it will surely be in seriously reduced role.

Would love to have Rolen back. He brings intangibles to the dugout and locker room.

My concern is whether Dusty can be saved from himself. If Rolen is on the roster, does that also mean he's on the field as the first choice?

I like Rolen, and when the season ended was hoping he'd come back if for nothing else than his leadership. But now I'm questioning his motiviation. If he's struggling with the decision one of two things must be true:

- He's not sure he really WANTS to play ball.
    - He WANTS to, but is not sure he's phisically able.

Neither of these things look good to me. Any coaching positions open?
    Sto Pro Veritate

I worry a bit about how this thing is going to end. He has to know his replacement was signed in Jack Hannahan while his status was, and continues to be, in limbo. Now he's coming out and saying the Reds are his top choice if he returns. If he does sign elsewhere, is he going to play the "Reds didn't want me" card?

It would be nice to have Scott as a bench guy, but I don't know if he would ever go for that.

gotta wonder how much he'd want too...great clubhouse guy or not, he's no longer a top half of the league 3B in the field or lineup.

Redleger13

I'd love to have him back. But only on one condition: as a bench coach.
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

If I were Rolen, I'd probably be thinking about how to enjoy my money and time and fame and family.

BUT if the Dodgers really, really want to pay me $5million to give it another shot, then what the heck. Maybe I'll just put it up to pay for all my grandkids schooling one day or maybe I buy all of Jasper some sweet Beats headphones...

Scott is one of my favorite Reds of all time, but I think it is time to move on. His fielding percentage was the lowest of his career last year. He had 10 errors last year alone in only 87 games. He obviously does not move around at 3rd like he did even a few years ago. He had already been declining at the plate for years, but his sharp decline in the field shows it is time. I would love to have him back as a coach, but at this point he is not a great option to have unless he AND DUSTY know he is back strictly as a bench player.

Turn Off Ads?