Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I've eaten at Crave twice and it was outstanding. As was Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Calling either of those "mediocre" is a stretch and borderline snobbish.
    I've been to Crave twice as well -- found it to be thoroughly mediocre. I'd put the food somewhere above your average Fridays / Applebees / Bennigans but below a, say, J. Alexanders. For the price they charge, there are better choices.

Ruth's Chris? For the price, you'd be certifiable not to go to one Ruby's places or Mortons and get better service and a better meal.

I'm glad there are some people that like what the Banks is doing. Thus far, it hasn't been my cup of tea.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've been to Crave twice as well -- found it to be thoroughly mediocre. I'd put the food somewhere above your average Fridays / Applebees / Bennigans but below a, say, J. Alexanders. For the price they charge, there are better choices.

Ruth's Chris? For the price, you'd be certifiable not to go to one Ruby's places or Mortons and get better service and a better meal.

I'm glad there are some people that like what the Banks is doing. Thus far, it hasn't been my cup of tea.
    I love that the Banks and the new Riverfront Park have brought so much activity to the riverfront. It's not my cup of tea either, so I don't frequent the places that often. I suggest checking out the OTR restaurants Reds/Flyer suggested, there are plenty of tremendous local places scattered throughout downtown and OTR. The Banks will always cater to a suburban, chain type of crowd and I have no problem with that.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think there needs to be a really signature addition at some point in the next 5-10 years. something visually appealing and memorable on the order slightly beneath the space needle, millennium park, or stl arch, but still iconic. A major art piece that makes all the brochures and is a photo opp. I think the capping of the highway could provide the space for this, or perhaps the phase 2 area. I just don't know what kind of pride or energy would be represented, but it's got to be fun. Anyway, I'm off topic.
    That would be great. I always have wondered why cities don't take a page from St. Louis and do something "Arch-like". Hard to tell how much $$$ the arch has brought into STL.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Cleveland went through that phase with its downtown development where it was mostly big chains catering to the latest trends. After a while though, as local chefs started making names for themselves and downtown became an attractive location, they started opening more of their own places downtown. The chain gang will get people coming down, but as The Banks continue to develop and mature, and trends change, it will be those local chefs who move in and take over that will keep people coming.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Cleveland went through that phase with its downtown development where it was mostly big chains catering to the latest trends. After a while though, as local chefs started making names for themselves and downtown became an attractive location, they started opening more of their own places downtown. The chain gang will get people coming down, but as The Banks continue to develop and mature, and trends change, it will be those local chefs who move in and take over that will keep people coming.
    And Cleveland is, like, foodie central now. I know people from New York who come to Cleveland a couple of times a year just to eat. (That sounds way more bougie than it really is.) It's kind of a relief to hear that the "rebirth" of this food scene started with chain restaurants.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I have little problem with chains if they're unique to our area or if they're local like Holy Grail or WineGuy. Who cares if Crave or the Yardhouse is a chain if they can't be found anywhere else around here?

If I'm understanding CE correctly, he's saying that the stuff down there is overpriced and I think it is. For now you're paying a premium for choosing to dine down there. It's like choosing to eat on the Strip in Las Vegas. But I will say that Mortons and Ruby charges a ton too. I had dinner at Morton's a few months ago with my wife and daughter. We had entrees, split veggies/salads, eat had a dessert and no alcoholic drinks...the bill was $212 including tip. No way it was worth that

Anything like this almost has to be started w/ national chains; they have the capital, resources and prior examples of how to make something like that work. A local establishment is going to face a up hill battle moving in during the early stages of the banks. It took, what a Million dollars to get the soul food restaurant there? Morlein took a gamble starting up an unknown in a new development like the banks, however they're a big different as I'm sure they were considering the increase in beer sales w/n stores aside from any profits they could make on the restaurant.

And, as if on cue ...

The USS Cincinnati is coming home, in time for the ASG in 2015.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/...?absolute=true

Get a GREAT Sushi Bar to the Banks!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Get a GREAT Sushi Bar to the Banks!

Rem
    That would be nice.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

It's not The Banks, but Kaze is a new sushi joint in OTR. Haven't been there to know if it's good or not.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's not The Banks, but Kaze is a new sushi joint in OTR. Haven't been there to know if it's good or not.
    Been there, three times. It's good. No, it's outstanding.

Its been reported that Toby Keith's "I love this bar" has not paid rent since November (or october). Willie was saying on his show, based upon the reported rent rate and restaurant averages, that they'd have to average about 700 people a day to turna profit. I have no idea how many people come thru there on an average day (I'll assume weekends are busier than weekdays), but 700 seems like a lot. Wonder if they can make up for it during baseball season, if they make it that long.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Its been reported that Toby Keith's "I love this bar" has not paid rent since November (or october). Willie was saying on his show, based upon the reported rent rate and restaurant averages, that they'd have to average about 700 people a day to turna profit. I have no idea how many people come thru there on an average day (I'll assume weekends are busier than weekdays), but 700 seems like a lot. Wonder if they can make up for it during baseball season, if they make it that long.
    Most big floorplan bars don't make it downtown for that very reason -- in the last few years Blackfinn/McFaddens, Lodge Bar, Bartini, and Cadillac Ranch have all closed.

Part of the problem is that the Banks isn't really an "entertainment destination" the way (say) 4th Street Live is in LOU. You don't get the bar-crawl type crowd that's probably required for a joint like Toby Kieth's to generate the foot traffic needed to stay open.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    It's not just here that they are having problems.

http://www.yuckthisbarandgrill.org/l...E2%80%94oh-my/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?