Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

  1. #1
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,370

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Modern Day Powell Crosley he is

  4. #3
    Moderator Tommyjohn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,848

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    It cannot be understated how great Bob Castellini has been for the city of Cincinnati and the Reds organization. I don't know if I would choose anyone else to own this team, to be honest.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

  5. #4
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    I can't wait until they build the "deck". That will be the icing on the cake for Cincy's downtown.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  6. #5
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,625

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    I'm glad the Banks is being developed, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with the results thus far. There's a lot of wasted space in the development, and the restaurants / bars they've brought in (with the notable exception of the Moerlein Lager House) have all been pretty uniformly mediocre.

    It's a pity no one with real vision spearheaded development right from the start.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  7. #6
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    A) The development is still ongoing with the addition of some other great restaurants.

    B) The article indicates that the first phase was completed without much financial support, so it got done without much adornment. That additional stuff is likely to follow and make it all cohere better.

  8. #7
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    I think there needs to be a really signature addition at some point in the next 5-10 years. something visually appealing and memorable on the order slightly beneath the space needle, millennium park, or stl arch, but still iconic. A major art piece that makes all the brochures and is a photo opp. I think the capping of the highway could provide the space for this, or perhaps the phase 2 area. I just don't know what kind of pride or energy would be represented, but it's got to be fun. Anyway, I'm off topic.

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (02-01-2013)

  10. #8
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think there needs to be a really signature addition at some point in the next 5-10 years. something visually appealing and memorable on the order slightly beneath the space needle, millennium park, or stl arch, but still iconic. A major art piece that makes all the brochures and is a photo opp. I think the capping of the highway could provide the space for this, or perhaps the phase 2 area. I just don't know what kind of pride or energy would be represented, but it's got to be fun. Anyway, I'm off topic.
    I know that a large carousel will be part of The Banks, as will the sail from the USS Cincinnati, an LA-class nuclear submarine.

  11. #9
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Interesting, I hadn't heard that.

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,154

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I know that a large carousel will be part of The Banks, as will the sail from the USS Cincinnati, an LA-class nuclear submarine.
    Nuclear submarines have sails?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  13. #11
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Nuclear submarines have sails?
    Yes.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cincinnati_(SSN-693)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail_(submarine)

  14. #12
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    This is an email from last year regarding the USS Cincinnati mentioned above.
    Thank you for your comments on the park.

    As to a time frame for the USS Cincinnati installation at the park, there is none. Proponents who would like to see this feature placed in the park need to raise funding for the design and installation of the “sail” from the submarine as well as raise operating funds to maintain it. We would also need Hamilton County to make the property available to us to build this. Our plan has identified a site within the park where the facility would go in a future phase and we would welcome it – contingent on the funding and the property being available.


    Steven Schuckman
    Superintendent, Planning, Design & Facilities
    Cincinnati Parks

  15. #13
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,254

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm glad the Banks is being developed, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with the results thus far. There's a lot of wasted space in the development, and the restaurants / bars they've brought in (with the notable exception of the Moerlein Lager House) have all been pretty uniformly mediocre.

    It's a pity no one with real vision spearheaded development right from the start.
    Well, just remember that a lot of mediocre restaurants wash out in 5 years, so they'll probably be replaced with new ones.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  16. #14
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well, just remember that a lot of mediocre restaurants wash out in 5 years, so they'll probably be replaced with new ones.
    Not sure I understand the criticism. Holy Grail has been open two years now and is packed almost every night - game or no game. It's easily become one of the destination spots in the city. Tin Roof is also proving highly popular on non-game nights with its live music every night. It's definitely got the post-college Banks residential crowd locked down. Moerlein Lager House speaks for itself - it's a gem for this city.

    I've eaten at Crave twice and it was outstanding. As was Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Calling either of those "mediocre" is a stretch and borderline snobbish.

    Toby Keith's isn't at all my style, but judging from the long lines to get in on weekends, it looks to be doing fine.

    Frankly, The Banks will continue to be chain-heavy because of the crowds it attracts, and that's fine. Cities do have more tourist-friendly destinations that are popular with the chains. Look at Times Square in NYC, 16th Street Mall in Denver, Universal City in Orlando, etc.

    There is literally no shortage of unique, local restaurants all throughout downtown and OTR for you to go to if that interests you more. Heck, in OTR alone, you have Kaze, Bakersfield, Senate, Pho Lang Thang, Nicola's, A Tavola, Abigail Street, Taste of Belgium, Anchor, Park + Vine, Quan Hapa, etc., with more on the way ... And there are endless local restaurants in downtown and Mount Adams also. So there is room for the type of places that are flocking to The Banks. Let it be.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 01-29-2013 at 12:34 AM.

  17. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (02-01-2013), redsfan30 (02-07-2013)

  18. #15
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Not sure I understand the criticism. Holy Grail has been open two years now and is packed almost every night - game or no game. It's easily become one of the destination spots in the city. Tin Roof is also proving highly popular on non-game nights with its live music every night. It's definitely got the post-college Banks residential crowd locked down. Moerlein Lager House speaks for itself - it's a gem for this city.

    I've eaten at Crave twice and it was outstanding. As was Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Calling either of those "mediocre" is a stretch and borderline snobbish.

    Toby Keith's isn't at all my style, but judging from the long lines to get in on weekends, it looks to be doing fine.

    Frankly, The Banks will continue to be chain-heavy because of the crowds it attracts, and that's fine. Cities do have more tourist-friendly destinations that are popular with the chains. Look at Times Square in NYC, 16th Street Mall in Denver, Universal City in Orlando, etc.

    There is literally no shortage of unique, local restaurants all throughout downtown and OTR for you to go to if that interests you more. Heck, in OTR alone, you have Kaze, Bakersfield, Senate, Pho Lang Thang, Nicola's, A Tavola, Abigail Street, Taste of Belgium, Anchor, Park + Vine, Quan Hapa, etc., with more on the way ... And there are endless local restaurants in downtown and Mount Adams also. So there is room for the type of places that are flocking to The Banks. Let it be.
    Great post. In Louisville we have "4th Street Live", a block of mostly chain restaurants and bars, it does remarkably well. It is crowded at lunch and dinner daily and the nightlife is hopping, yet a lot of locals complain about "downtown is scary and inconvenient", "no local flavor", "corporate blah blah blah". I don't go there often, but I do make it down a couple of times a year. I also enjoy eating at our many local establishments. In a downtown, near the hotels and convention centers a city needs a place that feels exciting and touristy, but is familiar enough for American sheeple to go to, and The Banks fits that perfectly. All it is missing is a Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gumps and it could be Beale Street, Bourbon Street, Duvall Street or downtown Nashville. As it grows it will get better, and maybe more local. Right now is a destination downtown and it is keeping money inside Cincinnati, and by extension Ohio, instead of Covington or Newport.

    After reading that, as a Kentuckian I feel the need to say "The Banks sucks, go to Newport on the Levy. It Rocks!"
    What if this is as good as it gets?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25