Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spring Training Particulars

Spring Training Particulars

Sorry for what is probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a general overview of how spring training works in terms of the total number of guys invited, how the guys are split up, etc. I'm mostly interested in how it works for the younger guys who don't really have any shot of making the majors in 2013. Guys like Winker, Stephenson, etc. I know obviously Hamilton, Cingrani, Corcino, Hoover, etc. who are further along in development will be there.

So for example, do most of the Reds top 20 prospects spend time in spring training with the big league guys? Do the low major guys do spring training with their A ball teams?

I know I've watched guys like Juan Duran playing alongside the MLB regulars in past spring training games, but how are things like that decided in terms of which prospects get the chance to play in ST games? Does 40 man roster status have a big impact?

Again, I apologize as this is sort of a random and vague question, but any insight would be much appreciated.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Spring Training Particulars

Big League spring training is separate from minor league spring training. Big league spring training starts in a week. The minor league portion doesn't usually start until March.

Guys on the 40 man roster are automatically in big league spring training. They remain there until they are optioned to the minor leagues.

I can't tell you how it is decided on which minor leaguers get to play with the big league guys when it comes to non-40-man and non-roster invitees go.

With the minor leagues, they break it down into spring training by team. However the team you start out with isn't always the team you will wind up with because demotions from big league camp will push guys down and that trickles throughout the system.

4. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-09-2013)

-The Insider-

To piggyback what Doug said, usually the team the a minor leaguer is placed on is a level above where they'll start out the season. This is because so many people start out in big league camp (and to see how they do against "advance" hitting/pitching.) For example, Robert Stephenson may be on Bakersfield's team to begin camp, but will likely end up back in Dayton to start the season.

Also. as Doug said, minor league camp starts about mid March and they have camp days of just workouts and then after a few days they start playing inter-squad games and then play other near by minor league teams.

Also, a big league team calls up minor league guys for game or two that weren't invited to big league camp as insurance for a spit squad game or just an extra bat or arm in case something happens.

6. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    To piggyback what Doug said, usually the team the a minor leaguer is placed on is a level above where they'll start out the season. This is because so many people start out in big league camp (and to see how they do against "advance" hitting/pitching.) For example, Robert Stephenson may be on Bakersfield's team to begin camp, but will likely end up back in Dayton to start the season.

Also. as Doug said, minor league camp starts about mid March and they have camp days of just workouts and then after a few days they start playing inter-squad games and then play other near by minor league teams.

Also, a big league team calls up minor league guys for game or two that weren't invited to big league camp as insurance for a spit squad game or just an extra bat or arm in case something happens.
    Nice to see you again insider, thought we might have lost you.

Turn Off Ads?