Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Justin Upton traded to Braves

Re: Justin Upton traded to Braves

Are the Braves really going to be improved at all compared to last year?

This off-season, they lost Bourn (6.4 WAR), Prado (5.9 WAR) and Chipper Jones (3.0 WAR).

They're replacing those three with B.J. Upton (3.3WAR), Justin Upton (2.5 WAR), Juan Francisco (0.8 WAR) and Chris Johnson (0.8 WAR).

That's a loss of 15.3 WAR, and a gain of 7.4 WAR.

I realize just comparing Wins Above Replacement is relatively simplistic, and I suppose you would expect both Uptons to be better this year than last because of regression, natural improvement and/or recovery from injury, but that still seems like a pretty sizable gap to make up. If anything, it seems like the Braves are treading water this off-season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post

This off-season, they lost Bourn (6.4 WAR), Prado (5.9 WAR) and Chipper Jones (3.0 WAR).

They're replacing those three with B.J. Upton (3.3WAR), Justin Upton (2.5 WAR), Juan Francisco (0.8 WAR) and Chris Johnson (0.8 WAR).

I realize just comparing Wins Above Replacement is relatively simplistic, and I suppose you would expect both Uptons to be better this year than last because of regression, natural improvement and/or recovery from injury, but that still seems like a pretty sizable gap to make up. If anything, it seems like the Braves are treading water this off-season.
    I agree. This trade for Justin Upton was a real steal, but the Braves are still not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Braves had a dearth of pitching and traded what, injured Tommy Hanson, lazy Randall Delgado, and a pitching prospect? Meanwhile, acquiring the Upton brothers certainly does not weaken defense...
    Replacing Chipper Jones with Francisco and Johnson instead of Prado weakens their defense.

Point is, they made all these moves and still have of a dearth of pitching.

I think Atomic put it best. A good trade getting Justin, but they still aren't as good as they need to be.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post

Good points. Still, if I'm a Braves fan, I can't argue with the emerging new core that's going to be on the field. JHey-Up-Up in the OF, Freeman at 1B and McCann behind the plate is already a solid lineup -- and that's not even including Uggla, who is mercurial but puts up good numbers with frequency. Then you get that rotation led by Medlen, Hudson... I dunno, they are darn good.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I agree. This trade for Justin Upton was a real steal, but the Braves are still not good enough.
    Getting full seasons from Simmons and Medlen will certainly help. I also expect Justin Upton and Jason Heyward to improve over what they did in 2012 as well. That infield defense outside of Simmons though is a big cause for concern IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    It's not a steal if Upton and Prado replicate their 2012 production. In fact, if they replicate it, it will actually be a steal for the Diamondbacks.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Upton will find it a bit harder to hit HR at Turner compared to that jet stream he played in in Arizona but I still like the trade from both sides. Arizona had to trade him. After all the rumors the past year or so it needed to happen.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Chipper's retirement and the trade of Prado creates a big vacuum in the clubhouse that I think a lot of people are overlooking.

Including the Braves' brass.

GMs build teams. I like where Arizona is now better than Atlanta.

In a Reds Dbacks game last year Chris Welch brought up something I thought was interesting with Justin Upton. He basically pointed out that he was trying to pull everything out of LF. If the got the ball middle in he was able to hit the ball a long way. If the ball was kept middle to outside he was pulling off the ball and didn't have a prayer. It was ironic because for the rest of the series the Reds pitched him away and Upton didn't do anything. But when they missed middle in he hit the ball into the stands.

I guess my biggest question for the Braves is which Justin Upton are they getting. Are they getting the MVP candidate or are they getting the underachiever? It should raise some alarms when an organization sours quickly on a young cost controlled player with a big upside.

I know its going to be awfully windy at Turner Field with all the K's next season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Getting full seasons from Simmons and Medlen will certainly help. I also expect Justin Upton and Jason Heyward to improve over what they did in 2012 as well. That infield defense outside of Simmons though is a big cause for concern IMO.
    Do they still have Janish?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good point about Simmons and Medlen. Regarding Heyward, I could see some offensive improvement, but I don't know how real last year's 21.5 UZR year was. If his defense is more in line with 2010 and 2011, it seems like his overall contribution might be about the same as last year. I'll be interested to see what ZIPS projects for him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Upton, Upton, Hey has the potential to be one of the most disappointing OF's in mlb. All three tend to disappoint regularly.

Lots of hype. No substance.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think Upton, Upton, Hey has the potential to be one of the most disappointing OF's in mlb. All three tend to disappoint regularly.

Lots of hype. No substance.
    Well. Way to go, me. (insulting myself)

Upton with a chip on his shoulder. Hmmm.

Turn Off Ads?