Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #16 prospect for 2013?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Cisco

1 2.50%
  • Jacob Constante

2 5.00%
  • Tim Crabbe

0 0%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

2 5.00%
  • Jeff Gelalich

3 7.50%
  • Ryan LaMarre

3 7.50%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

3 7.50%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

8 20.00%
  • Jonathan Moscot

0 0%
  • Curtis Partch

0 0%
  • Jonathan Reynoso

7 17.50%
  • Sal Romano

0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

0 0%
  • Juan Silva

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • David Vidal

8 20.00%
  • Kyle Waldrop

2 5.00%
  • Ryan Wright

1 2.50%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect for 2013?

Who is Redszone's #16 prospect for 2013?

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto
    13) Donald Lutz
    14) Chad Rogers
    15) Tucker Barnhart

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect for 2013?

Since texasdave hasn't said it yet, it's David Vidal time.

Sure, he stunk up the joint after being promoted to AA, but he smashed the crap out of the ball in the Arizona, Midwest and California leagues and he plays a solid 3B. I fully expect him to have a big year at Pensacola in 2013 in his second trip through the Southern League. Honestly, I am amazed that a guy like Donald Lutz, who had a similar season, is ranked above him despite being older and more limited defensively.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 01-24-2013 at 12:19 PM.

If you're looking at Vidal, shouldn't you first look to a guy who didn't struggle in AA?
    Bryson Smith played all three OF spots and by all reports is a guy who could do pretty well as a CFer at the major league level. This season, he went .310/ .358/ .429/ .787 overll and .307/ .333/ .425/ .758 in Pennsacola.

Smith has hit well since being drafted. In four stops along the Red pipeline, his overall numbers-- .322/ .383/ .466/ .849-- scream for more recognition. He's serverly underrated, IMO, among Red fans and completely ignored by experts, but I get a Chris Denorfia/ Brady Clark vibe from him. And that has some serious value this late in prospect rankings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Smith is an interesting guy. He has a very much contact first approach and swing. You can see that in his power numbers, which are non-existant. But, he is also a speedy guy who can play center field. I ranked him further down the list because of the lack of upside, but he is a high floor guy too and like Scrap said, plenty of value there. Also, as has been noted quite a few times in past discussions, there isn't much separating the guys from 7-30 on this list either.

Mejias Brean feels like a slam dunk to me here. If he hadn't exhibited so much power last year, I wouldn't be as high on him. Scouts mentioned his power potential after only hitting 2 at Arizona, and he may have tapped into it.
    I know it's a small sample size in a hitter friendly league, but 8 HRs and 40 rbis in 179 ABs is equivalent to around 25/125 over a full season.
    He also only struck out 29 times to go with 21 walks, which is encouraging for a young guy.
    He turns 22 before the season starts, and I could see him
    in Bakersfield around midseason along with Winker.
    I'd be curious to hear Doug's thoughts on what he brings defensively.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Lotzkar, Reynoso, Vidal, Brean, and Gelalich all seem like reasonable picks (I've got Smith a little farther down). I went with Reynoso for upside, but all the others seem reasonable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If you're looking at Vidal, shouldn't you first look to a guy who didn't struggle in AA?
    Bryson Smith played all three OF spots and by all reports is a guy who could do pretty well as a CFer at the major league level. This season, he went .310/ .358/ .429/ .787 overll and .307/ .333/ .425/ .758 in Pennsacola.

Smith has hit well since being drafted. In four stops along the Red pipeline, his overall numbers-- .322/ .383/ .466/ .849-- scream for more recognition. He's serverly underrated, IMO, among Red fans and completely ignored by experts, but I get a Chris Denorfia/ Brady Clark vibe from him. And that has some serious value this late in prospect rankings.
    Simply put, I prefer guys who can put a charge into the ball over slap hitters who don't walk. Smith is the prototypical BA-driven player. If the hits aren't falling, he is useless at the plate. Vidal can make positive offensive contributions even if his batting average dips. I also like the fact that he is a year younger than Smith.

As far as AA production goes, I don't think 166 PAs of 'meh' production necessarily means anything. His numbers might not have dipped quite as bad as Vidal's did (691 OPS), but who is to say how he would have done if he had spent as much time at AA as Vidal.

Lastly, I will admit there was probably some bias in my thought process, since I view him to be well behind both Hamilton and Lamarre on the organizations CF depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Mejias Brean feels like a slam dunk to me here.
    I considered Brean, but went with Vidal since he is further along in his development and because I have very little faith in anybody being able to replicate offensive breakthroughs that they achieve in Billings. That guy had zilch, zip, nada power in college. Until I see him do it again in a more offense-neutral environment, I am going to be skeptical of Brean's sudden power surge.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 01-24-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

SMB did undergo some swing changes from college and scouts do seem to think the power is real. To an extent. I don't think anyone is expecting 25 HR, but it seems that 20 is in their minds with him.

Seems to me:

SMB + three minor league levels = Vidal - one year

Bryson Smith (and Steve Selsky, fwiw) have produced while others have had chinks in their armor exposed. Vidal moves lower in the rankings until he produces at AA (Which is entirely possible-- he has the skill set.) or injuries are revealed. His scouting report isn't glowing enough, IMO, to offset the lack of production in the high minors.

Speaking of glowing scouting reports, I'm suprised Kyle Lotzkar's not getting much love yet. He's got two plus pitches (and a wing that can't seem to stay healthy). He profiles as a possible dominant reliever.

I went with pitching here and went with Lotzkar. I am looking to him to bust out of his shell of injuries this season and to put together a very, very solid season.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I went with pitching here and went with Lotzkar. I am looking to him to bust out of his shell of injuries this season and to put together a very, very solid season.
    I read something from him a few weeks ago where it sounded uncertain whether he'd be ready to start the season. Not sure of the nature of his latest setback.

Going with Lotzkar here. At every stop in the minors, he's struck out more than a batter per inning. So, if he's healthy (a big if), there's something electric about his arm.

Plus, we're sitting at No. 16 in the poll. Instead of projecting fringe bats, I'd much rather go with the guy who has talent in his arm and is relatively close to the majors. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we see him contribute this year in the bullpen or be used as a mid-season trade chip.

Easy choice at 16.

Turn Off Ads?