Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Some Reds Stats after 50 games, 2023

Some Reds Stats after 50 games, 2023

Just some overall stats after 50 games. Others can add more detail if they wish.

1. W-L is 21-29, fifth place in NL Central, on pace for 68-94, pythag W-L is the same, Reds are .500 at home and 7-15 on road.

2. Offense is 22nd with .701 OPS, improved from last year .676 (though MLB average OPS is up as well). Big issue is lack of power, Reds currently 27th in ISO Power and 27th in SLG with .376. On a league and park adjusted basis, wRC+, Reds offense is 25th at 87 (with 100 as average). Reds OBP is 13th in MLB, .325. Reds currently with 11 of 13 position players who hit righthanded only. Reds are 8th in Fangraphs BsR (baserunning) stat.

3. Pitching, Reds 5.00 ERA is 27th in MLB. Last year was 4.86. (Average team ERA is higher this season in MLB.) Reds FIP is 4.49, 22nd in MLB. Reds starting ERA is 6.04, next to worst in MLB, FIP 5.01 is 26th. Reds bullpen ERA is 11th at 3.75, with FIP 10th at 3.86. Reds with 13 saves tied with several other teams for 12th-19th. Reds team pitching BABIP is worst in MLB at .329, meaning the average hitter is batting .329 against them on balls hit in play.

4. Fielding, just to run through some metrics. Fangraphs Def 21st, -5.4, UZR/50 Reds 22nd, DRS Reds 27th at -19, Statcast OAA Reds -10, 26th. Using OAA, Reds infield is 27th, Reds outfield is 15th. Using Fangraphs Def Reds catching is 22nd.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some Reds Stats after 50 games, 2023

Reading Kc61's provided stats. THe question re roster changes for June 1 thru Oct 2023, what will management will decide to implement re providing exposure to players currently in the minor leagues.
    Management has the same statistics and has identified the issues so evident from members of this board. Has the decision been made that the Central Division is now winnable? If no, then there are a different set of decisions than if rebuilding for 2024 is the goal. The issue June 2023 is not whether the management is cheap spenders, it is having a plan that includes selling seats, enhancing interest and putting the best team on the field (either in the rest of 2023 or for the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just some overall stats after 50 games. Others can add more detail if they wish.

1. W-L is 21-29, fifth place in NL Central, on pace for 68-94, pythag W-L is the same, Reds are .500 at home and 7-15 on road.

2. Offense is 22nd with .701 OPS, improved from last year .676 (though MLB average OPS is up as well). Big issue is lack of power, Reds currently 27th in ISO Power and 27th in SLG with .376. On a league and park adjusted basis, wRC+, Reds offense is 25th at 87 (with 100 as average). Reds OBP is 13th in MLB, .325. Reds currently with 11 of 13 position players who hit righthanded only. Reds are 8th in Fangraphs BsR (baserunning) stat.

3. Pitching, Reds 5.00 ERA is 27th in MLB. Last year was 4.86. (Average team ERA is higher this season in MLB.) Reds FIP is 4.49, 22nd in MLB. Reds starting ERA is 6.04, next to worst in MLB, FIP 5.01 is 26th. Reds bullpen ERA is 11th at 3.75, with FIP 10th at 3.86. Reds with 13 saves tied with several other teams for 12th-19th. Reds team pitching BABIP is worst in MLB at .329, meaning the average hitter is batting .329 against them on balls hit in play.

4. Fielding, just to run through some metrics. Fangraphs Def 21st, -5.4, UZR/50 Reds 22nd, DRS Reds 27th at -19, Statcast OAA Reds -10, 26th. Using OAA, Reds infield is 27th, Reds outfield is 15th. Using Fangraphs Def Reds catching is 22nd.
    It doesn't seem like we're that bad because we rally in so many games, winning quite a few of them. BTW, I noticed Friedl missed another game. I'm guessing it was because it was a Day Game so they gave him the rest. It worked out well as Fairchild had two Doubles and a Single.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I noticed Friedl missed another game. I'm guessing it was because it was a Day Game so they gave him the rest. It worked out well as Fairchild had two Doubles and a Single.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Today’s lineup is a result of TJ Friedl’s ramp up process. He didn’t have a rehab assignment, and they’re working him back in.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It doesn't seem like we're that bad because we rally in so many games, winning quite a few of them. BTW, I noticed Friedl missed another game. I'm guessing it was because it was a Day Game so they gave him the rest. It worked out well as Fairchild had two Doubles and a Single.
    Reds were on pace to lose 94 before today’s game, with a .420 winning percentage. And the pythag (run differential) pointed to the same record. So I think some of these stats did show up in the W-L record.

But it’s still May so things can change.

8. Likes:

dfs (05-27-2023),Revering4Blue (05-27-2023)

Thr Reds can still win this division. Calling up Elly and CES would add power and eliminate 2 black hole hitting spots.

Bullpen has been better than expected and a key to early season successes.

If Ashcraft can get right this team could surprise 2nd half. Lively Weaver and Williamson all showing improvement is a nice development. Just shows how picking up 1 MOR starter would helped.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-27-2023)

For whatever reason, I don't get a 68-94 vibe from this team. If the starting pitching stabilizes even a little, I think 74-76 wins is a realistic possibility. The offense is already better with McLain and will take another big step forward when Elly and CES get called up.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    For whatever reason, I don't get a 68-94 vibe from this team. If the starting pitching stabilizes even a little, I think 74-76 wins is a realistic possibility. The offense is already better with McLain and will take another big step forward when Elly and CES get called up.
    There are a number of issues, but the hitting should improve meaningfully if EDLC and CES get off to good major league starts.

The defense will require some position movement in the infield. Not sure if that will happen this season, but will eventually.

Pitching - as the above post says - that’s the big ticket item. Personally, I think it’s going to take awhile and may take a couple of veteran adds to be winning caliber. Takes a village to have a good pitching staff in today’s game.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-27-2023)

Getting Lodolo back healthy and having Abbott ready to go soon gives them some pretty good SP depth IMO. If Greene keeps developing, and Ashcraft gets sorted out I still think the SP could be ok with no outside additions. Of course I wouldn't object to them picking up a good veteran arm or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Getting Lodolo back healthy and having Abbott ready to go soon gives them some pretty good SP depth IMO. If Greene keeps developing, and Ashcraft gets sorted out I still think the SP could be ok with no outside additions. Of course I wouldn't object to them picking up a good veteran arm or two.
    That’s a lot of ifs. I think Greene is a solid bet, but the others, I just don’t know.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    It’s going to be very tough to do the pitching internally. It’s 13 pitchers and all are important. Plus some depth. 1400 innings per year with starters generally going 150-60 each, assuming good health (big assumption).

It’s extremely rare these days to get the kind of durability shown in 2012 with Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, Latos, and Leake. And Reds young guys don’t have much experience, which makes things even trickier.

One can name names, Abbott, fine, but it’s effectiveness, durability, innings coverage, and depth, all of them.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-27-2023 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That’s a lot of ifs. I think Greene is a solid bet, but the others, I just don’t know.
    Yeah, they definitely need a solid veteran arm for the rotation.

We can look at all the stats we want and utter a hundred ifs. The Central is very weak but i dont anyone can honestly mention playoffs when this team is 22-29. If somehow two prospects, that have never played a mlb game before, can come into a season a third of the way thru and turn a sows ear into a silk purse, it will be the greatest story in
    sports history!

22-29. Only numbers that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Lodolo has been excellent his entire pro career until he tried to pitch with a stress fracture topping out at 92 MPH this year. If he's healthy I think he'll pitch well. Abbott is putting up better AAA numbers than Greene and is doing it in a year where league offense is off the charts. I think he'll at least be better than Williamson and Weaver.

I'm talking 2023 here. Obviously they should add veteran pitching this off season and likely could draft a Dollander or Lowder at #7.
    Last edited by JCM11; 05-27-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It’s going to be very tough to do the pitching internally. It’s 13 pitchers and all are important. Plus some depth. 1400 innings per year with starters generally going 150-60 each, assuming good health (big assumption).

It’s extremely rare these days to get the kind of durability shown in 2012 with Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, Latos, and Leake. And Reds young guys don’t have much experience, which makes things even trickier.

One can name names, Abbott, fine, but it’s effectiveness, durability, innings coverage, and depth, all of them.
    Lyon Richardson will follow Abbott by one year and be just as effective as Abbott, possibly moreso.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?