Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

Re: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

I can't love this more. I give the Cubs sincere credit: they are no longer trying to be anything they're not, i.e., an organization that cares about winning or baseball. They're appealing to their fanbase by adopting a symbol which is unshaven, pantsless, disheveled, backward-capped, probably drunk, creepy as hell, female-chasing though potentially closeted, and monikered with a yuppified last-name-as-first-name. And this, let's be honest, is the entire male population of Wrigleyville.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-14-2014),bigredmechanism (01-14-2014),cincinnati chili (01-15-2014),Crumbley (01-14-2014),HeatherC1212 (01-15-2014),LoganBuck (01-14-2014),M2 (01-14-2014),marcshoe (01-14-2014),NebraskaRed (01-14-2014),Old school 1983 (01-14-2014),RedlegJake (01-14-2014),RichRed (01-14-2014),Rojo (01-14-2014),Roy Tucker (01-14-2014),Tom Servo (01-14-2014),TRF (01-14-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I can't love this more. I give the Cubs sincere credit: they are no longer trying to be anything they're not, i.e., an organization that cares about winning or baseball. They're appealing to their fanbase by adopting a symbol which is unshaven, pantsless, disheveled, backward-capped, probably drunk, creepy as hell, female-chasing though potentially closeted, and monikered with a yuppified last-name-as-first-name. And this, let's be honest, is the entire male population of Wrigleyville.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJDTNCNr5E

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This seems so easy to mock -- but then I remember the Cincinnati Reds have almost as many mascots (4) as post-season wins in the last 20 years (5).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

redsfanmia (01-14-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Someone in the comments over on Deadspin made him look more realistic

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-14-2014),vaticanplum (01-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This seems so easy to mock -- but then I remember the Cincinnati Reds have almost as many mascots (4) as post-season wins in the last 20 years (5).
    It's not that they have a mascot now so much as it is that the mascot is a furry.

RZers unfamiliar with the term, I urge you to not Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Listen, the only MLB mascot worth his salt as far as I'm concerned is Orbit, but I'd still rather be in a dark alley with Mr. Redlegs at his most sinister than this Clark fellow.

11. Likes:

pahster (01-14-2014)

Listen, the only MLB mascot worth his salt as far as I'm concerned is Orbit, but I'd still rather be in a dark alley with Mr. Redlegs at his most sinister than this Clark fellow.

13. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-15-2014),pahster (01-14-2014),Tom Servo (01-14-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's not that they have a mascot now so much as it is that the mascot is a furry.

RZers unfamiliar with the term, I urge you to not Google it.
    Bringing our mascot talk this week full-circle, the Furry Convention (Anthro Con) is in Pittsburgh every year. They used to rotate cities but found Pittsburgh so welcoming that they decided to make it their permanent home. It is a joy, I mean that sincerely.

I don't know if I've told this story here before, but one of my favorite things that's ever happened was during the Furry Convention of 2011. I went to a show downtown and was meeting a friend of mine at the bar where he worked around 11 pm. The bar hosts Furryoke (furry karaoke, if that isn't clear) every year, and I walked in to find my friend bleary-eyed in the corner next to a giant tiger, looking like he was ready to kill himself.

But the absolute best part of this was that Furry weekend that year happened the same weekend that the Red Sox were in town -- a rare occurrence, obviously. It was actually cheaper for Red Sox fans to come into Pittsburgh, pay for a hotel and a weekend away, and go to three games here than it was to pay for three games in Boston. So the city was flooded with Sox fans. Of course, being out-of-towners, they didn't really know where to go and certainly were not aware it was Furry weekend, so they just flooded the downtown bars after Friday night's game (which the pitiful Pirates had won). And so the sight that greeted me upon walking into the bar was thus: dozens of drunk, singing, joyous furries decked out in full-blown animal costumes of all kinds, and a row of completely bewildered white-hatted Red Sox fans speechless at the bar.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-14-2014),Chip R (01-14-2014),cincinnati chili (01-15-2014),HeatherC1212 (01-15-2014),M2 (01-14-2014),pahster (01-14-2014),RedlegJake (01-14-2014),Roy Tucker (01-14-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-14-2014)

monikered with a yuppified last-name-as-first-name.
    Wasnt' Clark Griswald from Chicago?

And thankfully, "Roofie" didn't make it out of committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Wasnt' Clark Griswald from Chicago?

And thankfully, "Roofie" didn't make it out of committee.
    Wrigley's on Clark and Addison, so I get what they're doing there. And I guarantee it's only a matter of a couple more losing seasons before they introduce Addie, Clark's scantily clad beard.

18. Likes:

Chip R (01-14-2014),cincinnati chili (01-15-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Does anyone else think this guy looks sad, or am I just assuming he would be sad all the time based on the fact that he's a Cub's fan?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think we can put mocking them to bed. Seems the Cubs are doing a pretty good job of that without our help.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

21. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-14-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    623,038 Cubs have come to the plate since the Cubs last won the World Series, meanwhile it only took the Diamondbacks 53,401 PA's to grab a WS.
    That one has to sting.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Bringing our mascot talk this week full-circle, the Furry Convention (Anthro Con) is in Pittsburgh every year. They used to rotate cities but found Pittsburgh so welcoming that they decided to make it their permanent home. It is a joy, I mean that sincerely.

I don't know if I've told this story here before, but one of my favorite things that's ever happened was during the Furry Convention of 2011. I went to a show downtown and was meeting a friend of mine at the bar where he worked around 11 pm. The bar hosts Furryoke (furry karaoke, if that isn't clear) every year, and I walked in to find my friend bleary-eyed in the corner next to a giant tiger, looking like he was ready to kill himself.

But the absolute best part of this was that Furry weekend that year happened the same weekend that the Red Sox were in town -- a rare occurrence, obviously. It was actually cheaper for Red Sox fans to come into Pittsburgh, pay for a hotel and a weekend away, and go to three games here than it was to pay for three games in Boston. So the city was flooded with Sox fans. Of course, being out-of-towners, they didn't really know where to go and certainly were not aware it was Furry weekend, so they just flooded the downtown bars after Friday night's game (which the pitiful Pirates had won). And so the sight that greeted me upon walking into the bar was thus: dozens of drunk, singing, joyous furries decked out in full-blown animal costumes of all kinds, and a row of completely bewildered white-hatted Red Sox fans speechless at the bar.
    Awesome.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Chip R (01-15-2014)

So something amazing happened today.... WARNING VERY VERY NSFW
    http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsne...ith-1501633812

26. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-15-2014)

Turn Off Ads?