http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsne...ith-1501633812
    That is truly amazing. It reminds me of when this happened:
    http://convergencecultureblog.blogsp...uences-of.html
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

Reminds me of this guy...

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-15-2014),Chip R (01-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    So something amazing happened today.... WARNING VERY VERY NSFW
    http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsne...ith-1501633812
    I came in here to post this too haha. This is by far the most glorious thing of 2014 as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    LOL, that's hilarious.

They wouldn't have this problem if they didn't try to cash in on getting fans to buy alternate jerseys. It would be much easier if he could just say "I'm in Pittsburgh, I'll wear the gray one."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

10. Likes:

Big Klu (04-03-2014)

Uniwatch notes that Cubs' starting pitchers are allowed to determine which uniform is worn for road games. I think this is...nifty? Weird? I can't decide how I feel about this.

Is it standard practice across other teams? Because I do feel like I've heard something like that before, but have no recollection of the details.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Uniwatch notes that Cubs' starting pitchers are allowed to determine which uniform is worn for road games. I think this is...nifty? Weird? I can't decide how I feel about this.

Is it standard practice across other teams? Because I do feel like I've heard something like that before, but have no recollection of the details.
    I've heard about this. IIRC, the Reds may have done this in the past for home games. Perhaps with Bronson. Although the Reds don't have a lot of alternate jerseys to work with.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

The Cubs used to allow the starting pitcher to choose the jersey for home games, too. Carlos Zambrano always wore the blue jersey when he started, home or away. I think I read a few years ago that the Cubs front office changed that policy regarding the home uniform.

I've heard about this. IIRC, the Reds may have done this in the past for home games. Perhaps with Bronson. Although the Reds don't have a lot of alternate jerseys to work with.
    To my knowledge, the Reds have always adhered to a strict policy regarding the alternate red jersey. Originally, it was only for Sunday home games, then about five years ago they expanded its use to all home day games (with the exception of Opening Day). The only exceptions I've seen have been: (1) Paul Wilson preferred to wear the white jersey when he pitched Sunday games in warm weather, (2) they wore the red jersey for a night game once when Dontrelle Willis started due to a winning streak while wearing red (they promptly lost that game), and (3) they wore red for the "home" game at AT&T Park in San Francisco last year.

Personally, I would like to see the Reds wear the red jersey occasionally on the road with the gray pants. I think it would look good. Of course I would not want them to overdo it and wear it too often, as I tend to be a traditionalist. But as far as alternate jerseys go, I think the Reds have a really nice one.

14. Likes:

757690 (04-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    (1) Paul Wilson preferred to wear the white jersey when he pitched Sunday games in warm weather,
    The fact that Paul Wilson was ever deemed worthy of uniform responsibility for an entire MLB team, six thousand caveats notwithstanding, just makes me absolutely sure that I have done everything wrong with my life.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

16. Likes:

Sabo Fan (04-11-2014),Tom Servo (04-05-2014)

Screw the Red alt jersey. The Reds have such a long history and they should take advantage of it with a ton of throwbacks.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (04-06-2014),Yachtzee (04-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Screw the Red alt jersey. The Reds have such a long history and they should take advantage of it with a ton of throwbacks.
    I agree Joshua, I would take it to another level though:

Teams without a long history should not be allowed to come up with whatever they want to when there are throwback days. MLB can set up these 'throwback days' to series where the original teams are playing each other, expansion era teams play each other & the newest teams play each other. 1900 era uniforms should only be allowed on clubs that were in existence at that time etc. JMHO

20. Likes:

joshua (04-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They wouldn't have this problem if they didn't try to cash in on getting fans to buy alternate jerseys. It would be much easier if he could just say "I'm in Pittsburgh, I'll wear the gray one."
    Since all the money a team makes selling merchandise is divided equally between every team, I say let em trot all the alternate jerseys out there they want.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Since all the money a team makes selling merchandise is divided equally between every team, I say let em trot all the alternate jerseys out there they want.
    I think they have something like 13-15 this season, 2 different home jerseys, 2 road grays, a solid color alt, and a bunch of throwbacks. And I'm sure they're following the trend of offering a camo jersey for military appreciation day. They must be catering to the yuppies in Wrigleyville, because I don't know who else can afford to shell out the money for one new jersey a season, let alone multiple jerseys. The only reason I can gather from throwing so many jerseys is to get people to buy multiple jerseys, otherwise your just increasing the overhead of producing so many different jerseys without necessarily increasing sales, because most people will buy one of those a season and be done. And that's if they are really into buying jerseys. I imagine the costs of designing an alt jersey aren't cheap. Plus, I suspect there will be plenty of unsold inventory for those alts that prove to be less popular, resulting in a lot of jerseys showing up on discount racks the following season. But the Cubs will be Cubs.

My feeling is that it's probably best to have one home, one road, and a throwback alt., offering a new throwback every season. That way you can encourage jersey sales without diluting the product line and driving up your overhead.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chi...bs-suck,35749/

CHICAGO—Visiting for the first time in his young life, 9-year-old Jacob Tendering was reportedly shown the field where his favorite team, the Chicago Cubs, suck every home game of the year, sources confirmed Wednesday.

24. Likes:

Chip R (04-11-2014)

Turn Off Ads?