Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

Re: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

Their run differential is significantly better than their record and they seem to have gone through some roster churn as they find a mix of guys that produce a little. Their outfield situation is a mess but if Olt can take some strides at the plate that infield isn't bad and the staff is much improved. Plus they are playing in a division with four teams at .500 or better.

The Cubs will likely be playoff contenders a few years down the road, which will give them ample opportunities to Cub everything up at that point. Although the Reds' recent playoff adventures are perhaps just as Cubby as anything the Cubs ever Cubbed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    The two out thing is legit, but your characterization of the first three hits is an interesting rewrite of history. Don't take away from the Reds' efforts.

That said, the Cubs are getting Cy Young pitching from Samarjdza and Ariette, the offense is improved, and it seemed like all eight of the RP that were brought in the last two days had exceptional ERAs. What gives? How is this team so terrible?
    Heisey hit a bloop single by any definition of bloop. Fast Billy hit a squibber off the shortstop's glove. Squibber is harder hit than a dribbler, but it was not a solid, line drive up the middle. Frazier literally fisted one into center. The descriptions are accurate, the Reds were fortunate and caught breaks in that inning, not sure how you "give them credit" for that series of fortunate batted balls. With that said, they deserve a few of those considering they've had games blow up this season in similar fashion.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The two out thing is legit, but your characterization of the first three hits is an interesting rewrite of history. Don't take away from the Reds' efforts.

That said, the Cubs are getting Cy Young pitching from Samarjdza and Ariette, the offense is improved, and it seemed like all eight of the RP that were brought in the last two days had exceptional ERAs. What gives? How is this team so terrible?
    It's the Cubs. I don't think there's any more explanation needed than that.

Not a mocking of the Cubs but an interesting article....

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...252F%2522%257D
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Heisey hit a bloop single by any definition of bloop. Fast Billy hit a squibber off the shortstop's glove. Squibber is harder hit than a dribbler, but it was not a solid, line drive up the middle. Frazier literally fisted one into center. The descriptions are accurate, the Reds were fortunate and caught breaks in that inning, not sure how you "give them credit" for that series of fortunate batted balls. With that said, they deserve a few of those considering they've had games blow up this season in similar fashion.
    Hamilton's was a hard hit ground ball right up the middle.
    Just because Heisey's wasn't a screaming line drive doesnt mean it's not a legitimate hit. Every mlb team gets 5-10 hits like that a week.
    If you want to call Frazier's lucky because it was off his fists, go for it.

FTR, a dribbler goes 20 feet, a squibber doesn't make it past the infield dirt.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Just because Heisey's wasn't a screaming line drive doesnt mean it's not a legitimate hit. Every mlb team gets 5-10 hits like that a week.

I sense that you are trying to rain on our parade of hatred. Why do you want to take away our joy?

The point of drawing attention to a loss such as this is not to say that it's unusual or that the Cubs have exclusive rights to be "victims" of what's really just a painful but standard loss. The Cubs aren't victims at all -- that's the point. They're a historically (for the last 70 years, anyway) poorly run organization whose fans and even ownership at times seem to revel in their own loserdom. *They're* the ones who cry victimhood for everything -- victims of a goat, a cat, a curse, a fan, you name it.

So we take that attitude and we run with it. A lot of this thread is just poking fun of that. I hate Cubs fans and, to a lesser extent, their organization because they make excuses for their failures. It's become "the Cubs way", "a Cubs thing to do", etc., rather than just...being bad. Losing games. It's not their badness that we are mocking, it's their excuses for it. Also, they are an incredibly annoying, ignorant, pathetic fanbase and I have every right to hate them for that.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

8. Likes:

Always Red (06-25-2014),M2 (06-26-2014),Tom Servo (06-26-2014)

Parse my description to your delight, my baseball slang dictionary doesn't agree with yours, btw, but it was still a mock-worthy meltdown.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

IMO, the Cubs are going to be scary in a few years. They've got some unreal prospects in AAA. Baez (ss) is the #1 ranked shortstop in all of the minors. Bryant is the #2 ranked 3B in the minors. Oh yeah, and Alcantara is the #2 ranked 2B in the minors. They're all sitting there at AAA playing together. Add in Rizzo at first and YIKES. They'll have a low payroll to boot. I fully expect to see the Cubs be big buyers on the starting pitching front soon. And it won't shock me to see them sign/extend Samardzija.

Hopefully, they'll just cub it up as usual. But it is a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    IMO, the Cubs are going to be scary in a few years. They've got some unreal prospects in AAA. Baez (ss) is the #1 ranked shortstop in all of the minors. Bryant is the #2 ranked 3B in the minors. Oh yeah, and Alcantara is the #2 ranked 2B in the minors. They're all sitting there at AAA playing together. Add in Rizzo at first and YIKES. They'll have a low payroll to boot. I fully expect to see the Cubs be big buyers on the starting pitching front soon. And it won't shock me to see them sign/extend Samardzija.

Depends if the prospects are good major leaguers or not. Prospects are hyped so much in the information age that I am very skeptical of their true major league expectations.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Depends if the prospects are good major leaguers or not. Prospects are hyped so much in the information age that I am very skeptical of their true major league expectations.
    Very true. But the really TOP guys...they're rarely "misses" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I sense that you are trying to rain on our parade of hatred. Why do you want to take away our joy?

The point of drawing attention to a loss such as this is not to say that it's unusual or that the Cubs have exclusive rights to be "victims" of what's really just a painful but standard loss. The Cubs aren't victims at all -- that's the point. They're a historically (for the last 70 years, anyway) poorly run organization whose fans and even ownership at times seem to revel in their own loserdom. *They're* the ones who cry victimhood for everything -- victims of a goat, a cat, a curse, a fan, you name it.

So we take that attitude and we run with it. A lot of this thread is just poking fun of that. I hate Cubs fans and, to a lesser extent, their organization because they make excuses for their failures. It's become "the Cubs way", "a Cubs thing to do", etc., rather than just...being bad. Losing games. It's not their badness that we are mocking, it's their excuses for it. Also, they are an incredibly annoying, ignorant, pathetic fanbase and I have every right to hate them for that.
    I suppose I just don't have the disdain for the Cubs that others here have. Maybe it's because I have such a soft spot for that city.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I suppose I just don't have the disdain for the Cubs that others here have. Maybe it's because I have such a soft spot for that city.

Permabanned from RaisorZone!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

And don't forget this guy, a Cincy-area native who models his game after Joey Votto. How does this line look for your first 60 plate appearances in pro ball?: .524/.580/1.095. Yes, you read that right, an OPS over 1.600

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=656941

Mock them while we can
    Stick to your guns.

16. Likes:

Always Red (06-27-2014)

I just like to mock. They are a good target.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-27-2014)

Cubs the team - I don't mind. It's really Cubs the fans that I can't stand...
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

20. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-27-2014),westofyou (06-27-2014)

Turn Off Ads?