Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Cards

Re: Baseball Cards

Though I don't collect cards anymore, I still have probably hundreds of cards I kept around just for the heck of it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That's a heartbreaking story, I feel for you.

However, the main reason why those cards are worth so much is because no one ever thought they'd be worth anything, an everyone's mom threw them out or gave them away. I worked in the Card business in the 90's and I heard stories like that every day. If everyone's mom had held on to them, they wouldn't be worth much. Not that it makes you feel any better.

This is exactly why modern Baseball Cards will never be worth much. Everyone knows to hold on to them. I actually like this, kids and fans will collect cards because they like and enjoy them, not because they can make money on them.
    Yes, I have been told that "I've heard that same story so many times" by card dealers over the years, BUT I think very few had the collection I had, which was every single card from 1951-1958 and 1961-1968, plus 500+ that pre-dated 1950. Then there was my own collection - the likes of which I have seen many times. My own set included most the cards from 69-79, when my mom made me sell.

My older brother has never truly forgiven me. Especially since the card we had Ted Williams sign as a manager of the Washington Senators was included as a stipulation of the "sale."

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Yes, I have been told that "I've heard that same story so many times" by card dealers over the years, BUT I think very few had the collection I had, which was every single card from 1951-1958 and 1961-1968, plus 500+ that pre-dated 1950. Then there was my own collection - the likes of which I have seen many times. My own set included most the cards from 69-79, when my mom made me sell.

My older brother has never truly forgiven me. Especially since the card we had Ted Williams sign as a manager of the Washington Senators was included as a stipulation of the "sale."
    Where exactly were you when this sale by your mom took place? In college? In the service? You must not have still been living at home, right? Otherwise she never would have attempted to do this.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still think things are a mess. The market got really flooded, particularly in the 2003-2007 time frame when a few companies were producing 50 different versions of cards. Still, it was GREAT for the collector, who was collecting for fun. You could go on ebay all day long and buy STAR autograph cards for $10-15 a pop. Not all of them, but plenty of them. Donruss was a prime example there, but it was great for people to buy individual cards off of people trying to make a big score busting boxes and cases and coming up empty. Topps has historically been very stringent on their autograph and game used cards compared to other companies. I haven't really collected since about 2007 or 2008, but all that I ever really sought out was rookie cards, autographs and game used cards of my favorite players. I can see where what was going on in the industry was confusing for your very casual collector, but for the true collectors, there was no real confusion. What MLB did though, was cut out guys like me, who with now limited options, can't collect the kind of things that I want as easily, or as cheaply. If I were to get back into collecting today, the only product I would buy would be Bowman Chrome DP&P. Easiest way to get ROI on your cards, though you may have to wait a few years to best capitalize on it. Base cards? Sets? They aren't going to hold any real value moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Where exactly were you when this sale by your mom took place? In college? In the service? You must not have still been living at home, right? Otherwise she never would have attempted to do this.
    Yes, I was at home, but not there when the cards were "sold" to Eric. There was quite the scene afterward. My mom has regretted it many times since, often quite tearfully. As a parent myself, I have to say I have made far too many mistakes with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yep, 1986-1990 was the pinnacle of my card collecting career.
    We must be around the same age. I think everyone I knew had the 1987 Topps set with those wood panel borders. I missed out on a lot of middle school math class because I was desperate to trade for as many Jose Canesco and Mark McGwire cards as possible. The Eric Davis card from that year - the one where he is holding the ball - is my favorite all time card for some reason, perhaps because it holds so many fond memories.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I still get a set a year. The last set I seriously went after was the 2010 set (there were parallel cards of the likes of Bench, Morgan, Robinson, Ruth, Gehrig, Campanella, et al that I liked quite a bit), but the last couple of years, I have just gone after the full sets. The cards are starting to look the same.
    I love the Heritage set, though this year's was a bit of a disappointment because I never did like the original 1963 set. Last year's 1962 replication set, though, I thought was great.
    And, I still go after older cards. The only Reds' cards I am missing between the 1948 Bowman set and now are a lot of the 1952 Topps high numbers, as well as the Pete Rose rookie. I have quite a few Hall of Famers, too, missing about 20 cards from the same period (Aaron rookie, Clemente rookie, Mays rookie...cards like those are ones I am missing). I also have a couple of handfuls of T206 cards, a handful of 1800s cards and an almost complete 1933 Goudey set (missing all three Ruths and both Gehrigs).

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Every lawn I mowed in the summer of '87 was followed by a trip up to Allen's Coin Shop in Westerville to buy a box of 1987 Topps. My favorites were the Eric Davis and Don Mattingly cards. I must have bought over 30 boxes that summer.

Later that year I put them in number order and built several sets. Since they are "worthless" I guess my only hope is that everyone throws them away (because they are worthless) and like the oldies, they become rare. LOL....right. I still have them tucked away along with the others in storage bins in the basement and all have to be in MT since they were only touched twice - when they were pulled out of the pack and when they were put in number order.

Regardless, when I smell fresh cut grass I think of 1987 and those cards - and that's what's it's all about. Honestly, I'd throw them away if it wasn't for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Every lawn I mowed in the summer of '87 was followed by a trip up to Allen's Coin Shop in Westerville to buy a box of 1987 Topps. My favorites were the Eric Davis and Don Mattingly cards. I must have bought over 30 boxes that summer.

Later that year I put them in number order and built several sets. Since they are "worthless" I guess my only hope is that everyone throws them away (because they are worthless) and like the oldies, they become rare. LOL....right. I still have them tucked away along with the others in storage bins in the basement and all have to be in MT since they were only touched twice - when they were pulled out of the pack and when they were put in number order.

Regardless, when I smell fresh cut grass I think of 1987 and those cards - and that's what's it's all about. Honestly, I'd throw them away if it wasn't for that.
    If you're missing the smell of fresh cut grass, I have a lawn you can mow.

I still have my collection. I have every Topps set from 1970 to the early 90's except for one card, the 1970 Nolan Ryan. That's just too high for me. I don't think I would ever give up my collection. Especially the cards from 1971 to about 1976. Those are the most special to me. It was during my most formative years and bring back all kinds of memories. I've replaced some of the more beat up cards with better ones. But I usually keep the beat up ones knowing they were the originals I bought in packs of gum. It was lots of fun going to the five and dime stores and buying packs. Running home to open them and see who you got. At one time I'm sure I had tons of doubles from 1972 through 1975. That was the time I bought the most at the five and dime stores and the most carefree time of my life. I don't know if the kids today get the same kind of enjoyment I got back then. I don't have any kids, so I don't know for sure, but I doubt that they do.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I collect as a kid and have bought cards on ebay in the past. I still go out and buy a pack of cards occasionally but that is about it. IMO the problem with the industry unless you are a legend of baseball, or a card from the 60's and before the only cards that are worth anything are rookies. Even then it is hit or miss.

I don't know who started it, Donruss Diamond Kings is the first I remember, but inserts and rookies are the only things worth anything anymore. Now you have "collectors" who will go in and buy a box, take out the inserts and rookies, and pitch the box. It got even more complicated with Bowman who started to insert minor league cards and then issued first edition cards when a player was drafted/signed. That pretty much made any "rookie" card worthless unless they were the first issued card.

I don't think the industry can come back to what it once was. It will still have a nitch market but anymore that is about it.

Has Ebay ruined the market in that during preinternet days it was not as easy to find a particular card unless you went to a card shop or card show? If a certain card was harder to find I would assume the price would be higher.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Has Ebay ruined the market in that during preinternet days it was not as easy to find a particular card unless you went to a card shop or card show? If a certain card was harder to find I would assume the price would be higher.
    For me EBAY was great. I was able to complete the old Topps sets that I wanted through them and Yahoo Auctions, which no longer exists. I could never had done that by relying on card shows and hobby shops. But I know what you are meaning. It's made them more accessible and maybe less valuable because of that. For me the monetary value means nothing. Its pure sentimental and the love of the collecting.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    For me EBAY was great. I was able to complete the old Topps sets that I wanted through them and Yahoo Auctions, which no longer exists. I could never had done that by relying on card shows and hobby shops. But I know what you are meaning. It's made them more accessible and maybe less valuable because of that. For me the monetary value means nothing. Its pure sentimental and the love of the collecting.
    One down side to the technology age is I really miss the card shows. Back in the 80's we used to have some really good size ones here in Indy but they have gone away in large part to things being available online. Those shows were like Christmas to me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I collected in the '80s and stopped in the mid 90's because of too many companies and products.

However I recently got back into it because of my two boys, ages 9 and 6. The new Topps has done a good job at bringing the fun back while still offering more exclusive series for the serious collector.

Some of the inserts in these series are honestly quite awesome.

Turn Off Ads?